SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marines- Who remembers Close Order Drill?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marines- Who remembers Close Order Drill? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Some of the guys on my agencies Honor Guard were talking today, and they were talking about rifle movements for what they do.

It's funny that it has been 25 years but I can still remember, and *perform* most all of the close order drill movements (correctly) that I was taught at MCRD.

Anyone else still remember them that well? It's bizarre because I haven't given it a second thought since I left the Island, but I remember them all clearly, along with my General Orders.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Not a Marine, but we drilled with M1 Garands at Bootcamp.

I still remember each movement.

We were issued M16's at the range and stacked our pieces nearby.

I asked the Company COmmander why we used the M1 and he said it's because the M1 was heavier than the M16-then he laughed and remembered to remind everyone when we were pushing dirt just outside of the fenceline, that I had brought it up.

I have always had a hard time with memory but I remember most of my General Orders.

-To take charge of my post and all government property in view.
-To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
-To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
-To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.
-To quit my post only when properly relieved.
-To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the commanding officer, command duty officer, officer of the day, and officers and petty officers of the watch.
-To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
-To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
-To call the officer of the day or petty officer of the watch in any case not covered by instructions.
-To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
-To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to
allow no one to pass without proper authority.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I can. I actually loved close order drill and looked forward to it.

I just chaperoned a field trip for my sons fifth grade class and was teaching them how to march and singing cadence as we walked from place to place. They loved it. Though SSgt Downs would have been pretty upset with their performance.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I did close order drill with M-1 when in Jr. ROTC in high school. I was only 4' 6" tall and could not open the M-1 bolt with a single swipe for Inspection Arms, but I could close it successfully and never got an "M-1 thumb"! We also drilled in AFROTC in college and in my 14-week Summer Camp between Junior and Senior years. I don't recall any drilling once I was on active duty, though. However, I think I could still do it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Some things you never forget. Wink

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It's been 43 years since I was at MCRD. I can remember the commands, and movements to execute them in my mind.

I will give it a go, and see if I can do them in the near future.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
yep, and I can do the manual of arms with a sword too (cuz it's much easier).

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is this where the DI would command you to move up to close the interval to the man in front of you such that you would "make your buddy smile"?

LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Is this where the DI would command you to move up to close the interval to the man in front of you such that you would "make your buddy smile"?

LOL

"Nuts to Butts!"

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I still remember most of the commands Smile

So when do we have the MCRD vs. The Island discussion Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
In college I was on the NROTC Drill Team. We drilled with M1 Garands and I absolutely loved it.

Picked up a M1 at the CMP and I'm pretty sure the first thing I did when I got home was go through the rifle moves. Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dearest MikeinNC thanks now I am going to have nightmares of SK1 Ishman yelling at us at the lovely Cape May school of Puddle Pirates (E-106). Yes close order drill enforces DO when an order is given. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Nuts to Butts!"

We were "asshole to bellybutton" in 1989. I wonder if they can even use phrases like that anymore.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
If you yell at me loud enough, muscle memory might kick in.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It's funny, I still take two steps back and about face when leaving a manager's desk, and when grabbing my rifle off the rack at the range I still snap to port arms. So much so in fact, that a new guy at the range asked me how long I was in... this being the first time we've ever met.

I guess some things just stay with you.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
"Nuts to Butts!"

We were "asshole to bellybutton" in 1989. I wonder if they can even use phrases like that anymore.

"The parts you may or may not have, or the parts you wish you had, against the parts the preferred pronoun in front of you may or may not have, or that they wish they had, or that you wish they had! Move it now, or whenever is convenient for you, recruit, or Marine or Soldier or Airman or Sailor or ballerina or whatever occupation you self identify as! We have to be at the diversity range in ten minutes to watch a video."

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my Summer vacation at MCRD in 1972, I remember the fondness of drill on the grinder with my M14..

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I graduated from Parris Island in 1970. We had M14’s. We were issued M16’s during ITR. The M14 was a rifle. The M16 felt like a toy in comparison.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Marine Corps trained Aviation Officer Candidate (AOC) here. We had brown, plastic-stocked Garands and did many hours of close order drill with them on the seawall at Pensacola. Thank you, Staff Sargent Hancock, United States Marine Corps for the good training and discipline that served me well during my career.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by villageidiot:
Dearest MikeinNC thanks now I am going to have nightmares of SK1 Ishman yelling at us at the lovely Cape May school of Puddle Pirates (E-106). Yes close order drill enforces DO when an order is given. VI

lol, Lima-129 (1988) here. My dad was in the double digits but I can't remember what company he was in (around 1966). Before I enlisted he told me the entire skuttlebutt....I still got got by the CC's.

I'd like to think my instruction has helped me in my life experiences.

Semper Paratus!

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post