New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood Turning Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
Any woodworkers out there that can provide input to a decent mini lathe? I want something just to turn small things like pens, lures, game calls, pepper mills and such. I’m a complete novice at this so I’m not sure what to look for. Reviews for such equipment is all over the place.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I have a Jet 1221VS, and I believe it fits the bill perfectly for what you are wanting to do.

Woodcraft has a 10% sale a few times a year, I would wait for sale price.

I will say, the lathe was just the beginning... All the "stuff" that goes along with it really adds up. :-)

I have not used the Rikon, but if you truly stay small, it may be a good initial fit. Cost is less, but it lacks power.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/...bench+top+wood+lathe

Don't know if you have access to a harbor freight, or not, but the link above shows 2 of their lathes that sound just like what you described. Inexpensive but according to my experience, their stuff works pretty well.

Grizzly also has some decent lathes in many configurations sizes and prices.

I have been turning for quite a while and suggest you try a less expensive lathe as a start. If you like doing it, you will progress to larger and better lathes.

I just listed a full size Grizzly on Craigslist yesterday and a guy is driving 3 hours to look at it today. Not what you are looking for, but an example of the demand for lathes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I also have a Jet 1221VS that I sue for turning pens and smaller items. Works well for what I do.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Could you use a 53 inch Vega duplicating lathe? It might be a little overkill for pens. I don't have room for it. You'd have to pay for shipping, 500 lbs. Big Grin

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Could you use a 53 inch Vega duplicating lathe? It might be a little overkill for pens. I don't have room for it. You'd have to pay for shipping, 500 lbs. Big Grin

Oh my! Probably a little big for my use but thanks.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact Jim - sig229-SAS
He is an "artisan" with wood turning.... many of the SF members know of his talents. He has a great skill set of turning. Check out his website http://bark2art.com

Posts: 43 | Location: North Florida | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2022:
Contact Jim - sig229-SAS
He is an "artisan" with wood turning.... many of the SF members know of his talents. He has a great skill set of turning. Check out his website http://bark2art.com

He does some really, really beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I was that good!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most common one around here is the Jet 1015. One member of a local turning club was selling one (though a 1014, the predecessor of the 1015) for $150 and it was in excellent shape. If you're patient, you can pick up up a used lathe for a much more reasonable price than new. Good luck, it's a great pastime.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPinesRon:
The most common one around here is the Jet 1015. One member of a local turning club was selling one (though a 1014, the predecessor of the 1015) for $150 and it was in excellent shape. If you're patient, you can pick up up a used lathe for a much more reasonable price than new. Good luck, it's a great pastime.

I was looking at the Jet 1015 earlier today. I like it but it is pricey.

posted Hide Post
I used a cue smith turning lathe for turning wood, and it would turn pens, but it is overkill for your purposes (and is about $1200).

https://www.cuesmith.com/cue-lathes-cue-smith.html

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I have a Nova Comet II and it’s a great little machine. 3 pulley settings with electronic speed control. Great for everything from pens to small bowls about 10” in diameter.

I got it over the Jet 1221 as it was a bit cheaper, on sale with a 4 jaw chuck and accepted extendable beds. But really both are great little lathes that will serve you well.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Jet 1221 and a Rikon 70-100.

I purchased the Rikon first and then realized I needed the slower adjustable RPM that the Jet gives me. I need the slow RPM because I make screw tip and applied tip powder horns and I turn the horn at 60 RPM. The Rikon would only drop to 420 RPM and that's just to darn fast.

Both work fine and I had no problems with either.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that there's a Facebook page called 'Woodturning Tool Exchange' that has a good deal from time to time. Also, you might want to contact your local woodturning club, as members upgrade, move, etc. Not sure where you are in W.KY, but here's a map that may help you:
http://www.woodturner.org/?page=AAWConnectsMap

Posts: 77 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post