SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    question on power bill and small 2amp battery charger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on power bill and small 2amp battery charger Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So last month I went about trickle charging some batteries. When I got the power bill it was shocking! went up from about $130 to $205. Is that possible or maybe I have other issues? Seem's kind of unbelievable, does it not?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What makes you think it is all the charging?
Not sure I would believe it. Eek

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
other than an occasional grow light on some tomato starts nothing else is different that I can discern.

posted Hide Post
I'd look to the grow light before the trickle charger. I'm not an electrician, but it should be a question of math. Figure out the batteries capacity and how many were charged and that would be the total power used to do it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I run a dual-bank and a single trickle charger all winter plus a dehumidifier and a fridge and my average power use is about $30-45 per month. The dehumidifier is by far the big user. On weeks when humidity is low, my usage is less than a dollar a day. Way less.

You either changed something else, have a water heater or blower that is jacked up, or you have some budget-bill type of adjustment going on.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Unless the batteries could start a D-10, I don't think the charger is the problem.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I assume 2 amps is the charging current for a 12V car battery?

Charging voltage is ~14.6V. 14.6 V * 2 A = 29.2 Watts. Let's say the efficiency of the charger is 50%, so it draws 60 watts of power from the wall.

There are 24*30=720 hours in a month.

60 watts * 720 hours = 43,200 Wh or 43.2 kWh.

Given a kWh generally costs about $0.10, you're looking at about $4 to run a 2 amp trickle charger continuously pushing 2 amps (is the 2A a maximum and the current drops when the battery is fully charged?) for a month.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Not a chance a "trickle" charger pulls that much juice unless it's damaged/bad.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Could they have not read your meter for a month or two billed you an estimated amount and then read it and realized you owed some?

I don't see a charger doing a trickle charge doing it. Something else is likely the issue.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
No. It doesn't cost $75 a month to run a trickle charger. Running big motors for long periods of time does. My 1.5HP pool pump running 8 hours a day costs about $40 a month. Running the heat pump pool heater the same 8 hours costs about $60 a month. Running both A/C units costs about $150 a month in summer.

Do you have a sump pump? Well pump? Heat pump?

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Could they have not read your meter for a month or two billed you an estimated amount and then read it and realized you owed some?

I don't see a charger doing a trickle charge doing it. Something else is likely the issue.

This.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Are any of your electric bills estimated? Sometimes if they are the estimates were significantly low and when the meter is read you then pay the extra.
Small battery charger should come no where close to using that much electricity. Electric space heaters use a lot of amperage if anything like that was used. You can buy a Kill a Watt meter to see what an actual electrical device uses in watts/amps.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P440...a-306572288073&psc=1

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
During the winter months I run a trickle charger for 2 batteries plus 2 heat tapes on outdoor water pipes and the electric cost is only about 6-8 dollars a month higher than in the warmer months when the air conditioner isn't running. The air conditioner cost is about 15-20 per month.
Something is out of whack with your bill!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Alien craft hoovering yer electricicles while yous sleep...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
My average energy bill is around $175.00 per month. (I reside in Commiefornia where everything is ridiculously expensive) One month, the bill was over $400.00! We hadn't done anything different that month, so we contacted our energy supplier. The first woman we spoke with was a product of Affirmative Action, so we got no where. We called back, and the second person we spoke with asked us to go to the meter and record the readings while she waited. We did that, and she apologized profusely, and explained that someone had written down the wrong numbers. We received a massive credit.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You’ve got other issues. No way the trickle charger used that much power.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Were you charging a flux capacitor?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I talked with them. Definitely a spike. Estimated for march and read this month. This bill makes up for a spike. Still unsure. Going to monitor the meter and see what happens. I still don't get it.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
other than an occasional grow light on some tomato starts nothing else is different that I can discern.

Ah yes, I remember my first "tomato starters" Wink Wink and the amount of electricity required for those grow lights.

I'll be danged though if those "tomatos" Wink Wink didn't taste gooooooood. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like their estimate was/is way off.

I'd kind of like to get a Sense Home Energy Monitor - from what I've heard they can identify what's using power by analyzing subtle power changes. I can't justify the cost, but it sure looks like a neat toy/tool Smile.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post