SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ethics Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethics Question Login/Join 
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
They authorized you to keep it. Most likely, since they would have to pay for the return shipment, unpacking, restocking, and re-indexing, it is a better economic decision for them to just let you keep the item and do with it what you will. If you have use for it, then use it; if not, donate it to someone or some organization that can use it.
^^^^^
ArtieS is right on.

They have built the costs of these problems into their business model.

You behaved ethically when you asked them what they wanted you to do with it, instead of staying silent.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always do the honest thing and at least contact the retailer if they make a mistake. Bodybuilding.com sent me four times the product that I ordered. They were awesome and said keep it. A large gunshop in Columbus, OH forgot to charge me for five boxes of ammo and neither I or the cashier caught it. I realized on my way home that there had been a mistake and called. The woman on the phone acted like I stole the ammo. I said I would give my credit card over the phone and she acted like that was not possible and repeatedly told me I had to come back in. I told her that I wasn't going to do that, as I was already two hours north. I gave her my phone number and told her to have her manager call me if he wanted the items paid for. He called later and it got taken care of. Some people in customer service make it hard to want to be honest, but I still try.

If they told you to keep it, keep it.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms double ships stuff to me on occasion. Once I verify that I have not double paid, I let them know and they send me a shipping slip to send it back.

Anything less is theft.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Were it not for the cost of shipping I'd return it. And since they said to keep it, I think there's no dilemma.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post