SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ethics Question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ethics Question Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Usually I know the answer without even having to think about it. This time I'm stuck.

Placed a relatively insignificant order with a popular on-line merchant. Their delivery service screwed the pooch again. (Claimed it was delivered when it was not.) That made the third time in recent history. I'd had enough. "I wish to cancel the order." Can't do that because it's already shipped. Uh huh. Badgered them until they issued me a refund. "What do you want me to do if magically appears?" I asked. "Keep it. Return it. Throw it away. Your choice," was the reply.

On the one hand I don't want to keep something I didn't pay for. On the other hand I badgered them like I did because I didn't think I should have to go to the effort of returning something I no longer wanted from them. On the gripping hand: I don't care to throw away things that are perfectly good.

Question:
So, what to do? Please post your reasoning, if you'd be so kind.

Choices:
Keep it
Return it
Throw it away

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They authorized you to keep it. Most likely, since they would have to pay for the return shipment, unpacking, restocking, and re-indexing, it is a better economic decision for them to just let you keep the item and do with it what you will. If you have use for it, then use it; if not, donate it to someone or some organization that can use it.

They have built the costs of these problems into their business model.

You behaved ethically when you asked them what they wanted you to do with it, instead of staying silent.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Keep it. Return it. Throw it away. Your choice," was the reply.

Easy.

I'd keep it, if I have to spend a dime shipping it back.

If they pay for the return shipping, then send it back.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
You behaved ethically when you asked them what they wanted you to do with it, instead of staying silent.

This is my position. You asked and offered to do what they wanted, so they made the decision for you to keep it if it shows up.

If you had just kept it without telling them it would be a different story - I have had that happen with a package from Amazon before. It said 'delivered to front desk' on a package that was coming to my house. I got on the phone with them and they sent a replacement. A week after I got the replacement, I got the original - apparently it was delivered to a business address and they finally returned it to UPS who then delivered it to my house. I called Amazon and they said to just keep it, no worries. It was an inexpensive item so I felt like I had done the right thing by calling them and kept the item.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You asked and they gave you the ok to do whatever you want.
So do whatever you want. Not really an ethical question since you did ask and they gave you that answer.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep it and then give it to someone who could use it.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You demanded a refund in good faith because you did not receive it. You asked about this specific situation and they gave you options to pick from.

Keep it for your hassle and factor that into deciding if you want to deal with them again.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Had a similar incident a month or so ago where an item totally unrelated to what I ordered was sent. Contacted the merchant, they sent the item I ordered and told me to keep the item so as to not inconvenience myself with the bother of sending it back.

If they said that keeping it was an option, I'd keep it.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Really, do whatever feels right. Many of these online places have lower costs by providing lesser service. Cheaper shipping, poor/nonexistent tracking, etc. eating the odd refund like yours is built into the business model. Their cost in the product may be less than the cost to ship it back. It probably is less than the cost to ship it, restock it, and back out the write off.

If it makes you feel better to send it back, go for it. If you can use it, use it. If neither of those works, consider giving it to a thrift store. There’s gotta be something better than throwing it away.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
They said to do whatever so I would keep it. I despise having to return something when it's the merchant's fault because it can be a PIA.

If it's a small priced item it is often not worth them having you return it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Are your ethics based on your actions (what you tried to do), or based on reactions of another party? Seems to me you’ve acted ethically.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Absolutely keep it. As ArtieS said, it would cost them more in money, effort, and time to process the return than to just let you keep it (I'm assuming it's not a Lamborghini). It's already in their business model. I've had to do this myself.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
You asked, they said do what you want. You are ethically in the clear.

I also appreciate the Mote reference. A unappreciated classic that deserved a better sequel than it got.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
"Keep it. Return it. Throw it away. Your choice," was the reply.

Easy.

I'd keep it, if I have to spend a dime shipping it back.

If they pay for the return shipping, then send it back.

I'm certain that if I initiated a return they'd send me the code to return it via UPS. The UPS store is more-or-less on my way to/from my gym. So the most it would cost me is a few minutes of my time. I'm loath to grant them even that. I'm seriously annoyed with them atm.

quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Keep it for your hassle and factor that into deciding if you want to deal with them again.

I've already decided I'll shop elsewhere, first, even if it costs me a buck of two more. I had a shopping list on their site. "Had" being the operative word.

quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Are your ethics based on your actions (what you tried to do), or based on reactions of another party?

I don't understand what that means. My ethics are my ethics. 99-44/100% of the time I just naturally know what is the Right Thing To Do and just do it.

Most people feel I'm actually too ethical for my own good, if that answers your question. E.g.: If I believe something has been mislabelled (to my advantage), I'll bring it to the store's attention. Or try to. I've actually had them argue with me on occasion. "Ok. If you say so."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your time is worth something. What is it you are keeping or returning or throwing away? The value of the item would be another factor for me.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Your time is worth something. What is it you are keeping or returning or throwing away? The value of the item would be another factor for me.

It's $15 and change of essentially throw-away items: Syringes with long 14 ga. blunt needles for transferring small amounts of liquid and a roll of magic nano tape (or something like that).

posted Hide Post
The owners of the goods, told you to keep it. I don't see any ethics violation with keeping it or giving it away or whatever else they told you that you could do with it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Luminox watches first came out, I ordered one. It arrived about a week later. The next day, so did another one! I called the seller and offered to return the extra watch. The vendor told me that not only would I have to pay for return shipping, there was a restocking fee!
I sold the extra watch to a friend.
In your case, there is no dilemma. They offered a choice of options so what happens next is evidently fine with them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Keep it. Happens all the time. Cost of doing business.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Asking some questions to spark thought or conversation, not as an attack:

Why are you mad at the provider for the service of the delivery company? Isn't your issue with the delivery company?

Yep, I get, the product provider opted to use the delivery service. Did you discuss if any options for different delivery providers exist?

If you opted to go through the same process after the second mistake by the delivery service, who is to blame? Usually the second time I hit the coke button and get Dr. Pepper, I am looking for a different coke bitton (shipping method) and if that doesn't exist a different machine (product provider). Smile

I didn't participate in the pole so as not to skew it one way or another.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post