SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battle for Mosul, Iraq
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle for Mosul, Iraq Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Since the video of The Free Burma Rangers rescuing that little girl came out, I've been paying more attention to the battle for Mosul.

The Old City is utterly destroyed.

The newer city areas are everything from unmarred to destroyed.

Estimates are there around 800,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs), now camped in insecure, over-crowded temporary shelters. Thankfully the UN Humanitarian organizations learned from the last few crises that before you build these camps, you make a plan for closing the; however, with this degree to destruction, I'll wager those camps will be home for a long time to come.

And to think this might have been avoided, had the Iraqis stood and fought three years ago.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Europe after WWII.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
3 things...

1. Reports that ISIS has confirmed that Baghdadi was killed. Statement from CENTCOM reflects the fact that Mattis is in charge now:

2. Statement from the president on the liberation of Mosul:

3. I posted this less than a week ago in the Trump thread...We are seeing the difference between a containment strategy (Obama) and a strategy of annihilation (Trump/Mattis):

Defense secretary Mattis says US policy against Isis is now 'annihilation'

Real news you won't see reported in the media:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post