SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Storing comic books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing comic books Login/Join 
posted
Ok, got instructions to get my stuff out of my sister's garage. Went to pick-up what was there and discovered my comic book collection when I was a kid. The good stuff (Iron Man, Avengers, X-Men, Punisher...) I kept in plastic sleeves, upright in cardboard boxes. A bit musty but all-in-all, still in good shape. I want to get them out of the cardboard though and into plastic containers, what is being used these days by collectors for storage?

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have all of mine in the cardboard boxes. I got a bunch from a former co-worker who had some sort of powder on the outsides that supposedly prevented insect infestations. I've never heard of someone using plastic containers to store comics but that doesn't mean it can't be done. If you have a lot of money to spend, go with hard plastic cases for each individual comic.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I have all of mine in the cardboard boxes. ...

+1

Something else that might be considered, as beginner "board game" collector, I save desiccant packs from products and medicines and toss them into my game boxes. Might help w/ comic boxes too.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I assume "bagged and boarded" is still the standard, stored in cardboard comic book boxes. There are some boxes made from corrugated plastic, but unless you are transporting them or allowing folks to paw through them in a retail setting that seems like over kill. If value justifies it there is archival cardboard and Mylar versus poly bags. But if they have not been stored with acid free cardboard backers I am not sure it is worth the investment.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Same with me (cardboard box)each one is in a plastic sleeve, and I rotate them in the box about once a year to prevent the lines they get from being on the bottom of the box.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I also keep all of mine boarded and bagged in comic long boxes

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Oh "comic book" boxes are sized to hold most modern comics ( Golden and Silver age will fit but they are slightly wider) and should be triple wall corrugated cardboard.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking plastic as that'd prevent the cardboard from attracting moisture and eliminating a place little critters can burrow in. Not to mention I was looking for a container that I can stack as well.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have many Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge from the 50s and 60s. Some in great shape. Some well used by 6-10 year old me. They sit in boxes made for them each in bags and boards for them. Also have sets of reprinted collections (Gladstone) also stored. And there they sit. Also stored are all the cards that came with the issues. (baseball type, only Duck themed)

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Not to mention I was looking for a container that I can stack as well.

Why can't you stack cardboard boxes? I have mine stacked 4 high.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Not to mention I was looking for a container that I can stack as well.

Why can't you stack cardboard boxes? I have mine stacked 4 high.

I should've clarified, looking for a container that can stack and nest.

This looks to meet most of what I'm looking for.

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Great place to get collection protection supplies. I buy for my record collection, but they have comic book supplies also.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/.../comic-storage-boxes

I recommend spending more to get the plastic boxes.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post