SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - I've never been more proud
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - I've never been more proud Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
No she hasn't won any tournaments lately, she hasn't set any records later, she hasn't even shot a tournament lately and I couldn't be more proud.

Junior Olympic Nationals last July in North Carolina did not go well. We got into an argument as only a father and daughter can. She saw an archer that she had respected get away with cheating on her score sheet. To top it off, in the first round of eliminations, she went out to Ryane, who went on to win the National championship.

Teenage angst set in and she decided to, "Take a break". Then she came back and stressed her trapezius muscle. She's been working with a physical therapist and he's instructed her to not even pick up her bow until they were done rehabbing her back and shoulder. She missed Vegas due to the injury. She just now received clearance from PT to start shooting again.

Turns out she really missed Vegas. She has a plan now. She's gone back to shooting her old bow, a Mathews Chill SDX, it's smaller and a lot lighter than her PSE PerformX 3D. It's a lot easier for her to lift hold and shoot, a lot less stress on her shoulder and back. She's working with a new coach for the time being and learning a lot from him. And all of this is her ideas and plans.

She's setup her old bow, changed out the old draw length modules, experimented with different modules and set her own draw length. Reset the draw weight, tied in a new D-loop, moved over and tied in the peep from one of her PSE's and tuned the bow. She's worked with the bow techs in the shop and done all the work herself. She's learned how use a bow press, how to put in and take out twists of cables and strings to tune it. This is from the girl whose technical language before was thingie, doohickey, spinny thing and roundy thing. She's become her own bow tech.

Then there's her selection of a coach, Cooper French. Yes, the same 18 year old kid from Arizona who won the pre-Vegas money shoot this year against some of the best pros in the world. Her explanation was she's learned a lot of the technical side of things from Coach Steve and she'll probably return to him. But for now, she says she needs to learn the mental game from Cooper of how to compete and have fun at the same time.

I'm really impressed. She doesn't look at this as taking a step back, she looks at it as her path for getting back. We're staying in the background, letting her set her own course. It's exciting and scary at the same time. Exciting in watching her grow and show maturity. Scary in that I'm afraid to talk with her about for fear of saying the wrong thing and screwing it up.

So a couple of nights ago was a mandatory meeting for the shop's pro staff. She hadn't been active but asked to go. Why? To tell Kenny Cuchiara, the shop's owner that she was coming back!

Getting back into it with the old bow.

Right after telling Kenny she was coming back. And thanks to Bud Lord for the photo bomb! I'm just glad to see her back in a pro staff jersey with a smile on her face!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
We Need a "Like" button !! Wink

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Congrats and best of luck to her!!
Your daughter is chock full of maturity and determination. Kudos to you.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Maya. We missed you.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad to see a happy update.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
That's awesome to hear!

Best of all to the lot of ya'! Smile

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
These reports have been sorely missing on SF for a while! Tell Maya all her invisible friends are cheering her on!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers, and good luck to her.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Pleased to see she (and you) are feeling positive again. It has been a pleasure watching her grow up into a young woman.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
You've already won the best prize a Dad could ever have.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1199 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
Welcome back, Maya. We missed you.

+1

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yep we’ve all missed Maya’s progress.

Best of luck going forward.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is that really the same girl? I mean no glasses! Big Grin LOL Just kidding.

Maya, YOU GO GIRL!!!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Good God, girl I love you!! Well you know what I mean, welcome back kid, go get'm ....

We are always pulling for you !

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Looks like she just needed to remember why she began shooting in the first place (first place... Big Grin ... see what I did there).

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Excellent News. Glad to see she is back in the game. Good luck to her!

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Oh. 2 month old thread back from the dead.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Oh. 2 month old thread back from the dead.

So what? It’s a good thread. I missed it in February and was glad to read it.

OP, I hope she’s doing great with the new coach and finding her love of archery again!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
She'll be shooting Arizona Junior Olympic Championships at the end of the month. That's going to be her first tournament since Nationals back in July. We'll see how it goes, I just hope she enjoys it and has a smile on her face.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post