SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    has anyone tried the new near and far contacts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has anyone tried the new near and far contacts? Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I'm thinking of checking into this, as I wear readers but wish I didn't. It's a trade off shooting either I see the front sight or the target but not both. I go for the front sight as it works much better.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Which ones are you talking about?

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I looked into them quite a bit. I chose NOT to go with advanced lenses. I explained my two complaints, my shooting has gotten worse and I can't see a golf ball at 250 yards anymore, to my surgeon. He told me if I didn't mind reading glasses, the highest probability for success would be plain lenses, which I chose. For some, the multifocus lenses work great. For others, they get lots of halos and sometimes vertigo. As it was my vision, I said screw my pride, I'll wear readers and get the ones that give me the highest chance for success.

I am very happy with what i chose. Although my reading vision actually got a little worse after surgery. My eye surgeon warned me that was a possibility before the surgery. I was happy to find a surgeon that was into shooting and understood my issues.

I am also experimenting with one very light reader lense. I still see the target really well and I only see two rear targets. Without any glasses, I see 4 rear sights.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It drove me bat shit crazy. YMMV, hopefully it will, but I couldn’t take it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contacts for distance vision, readers over contacts for reading & close in work.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I’ve worn bifocals for a few years now and I’ve tried the multifocal contacts on a few different occasions. I hate them, everything seemed blurry. I wear my glasses most of the time but when I wear contacts it’s single vision lenses and I carry a cheap pair of readers

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have had pretty decent results with the monovision approach for just everyday activities. I wear a single vision contact lens in my dominant eye and nothing in the other. By brain switches between the two mostly seamlessly as I switch between needing to read up close or see distant objects.

It doesn't work well enough for catching a bullpen session for my son's 80 mph fastball but for everyday activity I often go all day forgetting about the set up as I move from reading to driving to computer work.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes for 3 years now with different brands every year . I'm -1.75 left and -1.5 right but still nees +1.0 cheaters for anything closer than 1.5'. The technology is not there yet compared to multifocal glasses. There are tradeoffs for both far and near vision as they are not as clear as my glasses. This will be my last year with them. Ill wait until they get the technology dailed in. Too expensive for mediocre performance.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing multifocal bifocal lenses for close to 20 years. They are not perfect but I do not want to wear glasses. I have perfect sight at the front pistol site, and it works for me.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Distance lenses and readers up close. High end prescription sunglasses/shooting glasses are a must for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I'm thinking of checking into this, as I wear readers but wish I didn't. It's a trade off shooting either I see the front sight or the target but not both. I go for the front sight as it works much better.

Do you know your spectacle Rx? What is your age?

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried them - they are a compromise at all distances, so you lose some acuity. I still had to wear readers to read a book, and sometimes even for using a computer.

If you're in a need to avoid glasses for some activities, ask for a trial pair to test.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

Do you know your spectacle Rx? What is your age?

not off hand it's been a few years since I went to the eye doc I think my readers are 2.0 I'm 58 years old.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I wore glasses from about age 9 to age 40. At age 40, my handicap was about a 12. At that point i went to contacts and mono-vision. I loved the fact that I didn't need glasses and could still read. My handicap also went up as my depth perception went down.

At 67, I had cataract surgery and stuck with mono-vision but rather than having about 3 diopter difference between my 2 eyes, I have 1.5 difference. I now need reading glasses for extended reading - which I do daily - but my vision overall is 20/15. My readers are +1.25. I haven't played golf in a number of years, but I want to see what these new lenses will do for my game. Next year I may go back to the links.

Overall, I would much rather have mono-vision correction and not carry around readers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about bi-focal contacts or something else new that I am unaware of?

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Are we talking about bi-focal contacts or something else new that I am unaware of?

they make a new contact that is suppose to make you see near and far, currently I need readers. I saw the ad on tv and was just wondering.

Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
My wife has near-far contacts, and they work great for her. Of course, she has a bit of a lazy eye so her eyes haven’t been working together for years anyway. She also tried the same thing as glasses, but the glasses didn’t work nearly as well. As glasses they made her motion sick, but as contacts they work fine. Again, she was already used to only seeing with one eye at a time when she got them, so there wasn’t much transition.

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I've worn multi-focal contacts for a few years now. When I shoot a Steel Challenge match, I do use safety glasses with the magnifier portion in the middle 50% of the lenses; keeps the front sight sharp and the target is slightly blurred.
I have experimented with contacts that are up close in the right eye, and distance in the left eye. It's an acquired taste. Makes driving home from the range in the evening interesting.
Multi-focal (aka bifocal) contacts are pretty good, once you get used to them.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I wanted to try them but I have astigmatism so they wont fit. I am in my 40's and near sighted so glasses and contacts are becoming a hassle. Always taking them off and putting them back on depending on what I am doing. Not sure what my next move is.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
I wanted to try them but I have astigmatism so they wont fit. I am in my 40's and near sighted so glasses and contacts are becoming a hassle. Always taking them off and putting them back on depending on what I am doing. Not sure what my next move is.

I believe there are multifocal contacts for folks with astigmatism. Perhaps it depends on how severe your astigmatism is. Follow up with your optometrist.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post