SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automated vacuums and pet hair, any better?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automated vacuums and pet hair, any better? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Used to have one.

I see in some of the new advertising self cleaning rollers to handle dog hair. I'm imagining that there isn't much chance that they live up to the hype, particularly for long haired dogs.

Does anyone have positive experience? If so, what brand(s) and level of cleaning should one expect?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I have a Roomba I7, and it has constant problems with dog hair. 1 lab and 1 great dane.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have the iRobot roomba special from Costco. The 985. I’ve had it for three weeks.

This thing is fantastic. I love it. Does a great job. If you have a shedding sheepdog, no robot vacuum could help you. Normal dogs, this thing wouldn’t have an issue. Would eat hairlike a fat girl on cake.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a rescue Husky who sheds incredibly given that I live in the deep South. The Neato D7 does a great job picking up both of my dog's fur. We run them 3 days a week and run the shark vacuum every 2 weeks. With long hair breeds, robot vacs are not a replacement for running a more powerful one every couple of weeks.

You have to empty the bins after each run as well or they won't work as well.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
We have a I Robot...

Does a hell of a job with my Pug's shedding.

Pugs shed 24/7/365.

As mentioned above you do have to empty the bin frequently.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
The newer ones with the rubber brushes are MUCH MUCH better at picking up dog hair. The older bristle brushes get gunked up with dog hair almost immediately.

My old roomba wouldn't pick up the dog hair hardly at all. My new e5 with the rubber brushes picks it up amazingly... as long as the filter is clean to give it enough airflow to suck it up. The rubber brushes agitate the hairs up and out, but it still needs enough suction to pull them up. That's where my biggest problem is. My filters get clogged SO fast.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My old roomba choked.
Three dogs (shepherd, husky, spitz) and 5 cats

My Dyson pet hair cleaner died too.

So I just buy $50 vacuums and replace them when the finally give up.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We have the roomba s9+ and it works fine with our current dog which doesn't shed its medium length much. I don't believe it would have been able to keep up with our Shepard/Husky mix. Without the base, I'd have had to empty the bin at least three time. This means you have to be there while it's running, so it loses some of the convenience factor.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We got the el cheapo Coredy from Amazon on sale for $99 after we got the pup. I did not want to spend much because I did not really expect these things to work. I was completely wrong on that assumption.
It runs once a day and I vacuum once a week with the big vacuum. I am very impressed with how little the big vacuum has to pick up anymore.

I am also surprised that it seems to get every room (4) on the floor and 2 hallways.

It does the edges really well.
Coredy Robot Vacuum Cleaner, Fully Upgraded, Boundary Strip Supported, 360° Smart Sensor Protection, 1400pa Max Suction, Super Quiet, Self-Charge Robotic Vacuum, Cleans Pet Fur, Hard Floor to Carpet https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post