SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is Hialeah!’ Taco Bell employee refuses to help client who doesn’t speak Spanish
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is Hialeah!’ Taco Bell employee refuses to help client who doesn’t speak Spanish Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A video of an argument with a Taco Bell employee in Hialeah has unleashed a wave of indignation on social media.

The incident happened on Wednesday night, when Alexandria Montgomery was trying to place an order — in English — at a Taco Bell drive thru window at 785 East Ninth St. The employee refused to take her order because she wasn’t speaking Spanish.

In the video, which was posted Thursday night, Montgomery asked the annoyed woman, “Do you have a manager here?”

“She is in her house sleeping,” the employee replied in Spanish in a dismissive tone. There was no one else to take the order, the employee claimed.

“Honey, I have a car behind you,” the employee says in Spanish and closes the window.

“Can you move please? I have an order behind you. There is no one who speaks English,” the woman tells Montgomery in the video and threatens to call the police.

“This is Hialeah, I’m sorry,” she said in Spanish.

Two other Taco Bell workers approached the drive thru window when they heard the altercation, but apparently they did not try to help the client.

“No more, papi,” the clerk said in Spanish to a man who was in the car with Montgomery and was trying to argue that they were in the United States.

Finally, they had to leave without making an order.

“This incident happened Wednesday night around 10:30 p.m. I contacted the manager and after explaining to her what happened all she did was apologize and say thank you and the call was disconnected,” Montgomery told el Nuevo Herald.

Taco Bell Corp. told el Nuevo Herald that “this does not meet our customer service expectations.”

“We have worked quickly to resolve with the customer to ensure this doesn’t happen again,” a spokesperson said.

In an update Montgomery made hours later, she added that “Luisa,” as the Taco Bell employee identified herself, had been fired and that it was not even her real name.

In a later statement, Taco Bell confirmed: “This individual no longer works for the brand.”

Comments on Facebook were mostly supportive of Montgomery, who described the incident as “racist.”

“Hialeah is still part of Florida and, as far as I remember, correct me if I’m wrong, Florida is part of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, it’s a country where English is the language we speak. This is a shame for the Hispanic / Latino community,“ commented a Facebook user.

“Wow, if Latinos do not speak English we try to understand each other. Money is money. I have attended deaf people, Chinese, Mexicans, Americans, the important thing is to be treated with respect,” wrote another user — in Spanish.

Hialeah is considered the city with the largest Hispanic population in the United States.

About 89 percent of its residents speak Spanish as their first or second language and more than 94 percent consider themselves Hispanic or Latino, according to the 2010 census.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Puta

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me as if the majority of the city needs to be forced to attend remedial English classes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They never say what the remediation was.

Did they offer some free shitty tacos to the customer as compensation?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the employee speaks english, she was just being an ass to someone who dared to speak it. She sure as shit understood what the customer was saying.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I don’t believe Spanish speakers eat at Taco Bells. Real Mexicans around here won’t touch the stuff.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I ended up in Hialeah once, by accident. I was very glad to be packing, and made a hasty retreat to America.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Yo hablo Border Patrol ?

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Yo hablo Border Patrol ?
La Migra

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I'll bet the employee speaks english, she was just being an ass to someone who dared to speak it. She sure as shit understood what the customer was saying.

She answered her questions in Spanish, so she knew exactly what the lady was saying, she just didn't want to serve gringos. Even if she spoke zero English combo numbers are the same number regardless of language. Don't tell me she doesn't understand #6 please.

I'm a dick, I would have put my car in park and waited for the police. Pretty sure they wouldn't arrest you for that, but I'd be willing to get the trespassing ticket to make a point.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been to Hialeah many times- we have customers there.
This isn’t an unusual occurrence. Most places no one is speaking English.

All I’m saying is what our best salesman said regularly (RIP Ray)..
I quote- “GD Cuban is just like a cue ball, the harder you hit em the more English you get out of em.”

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't bother to watch the video, but in the comments they say at one point she tells the other employee in Spanish basically, "I understand her but don't want to take her order."

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Make English the national language.

Enforce English language proficiency at all jobs.

Problem solved.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I lived in Homestead Florida 2003-2005. I used to service machines all around the greater Miami-Dade metro area. I can’t even begin to tell you how often I was treated poorly due to my inability to speak Spanish. I’m not surprised at all by this.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
ICE-ICE, Baby.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
sixth-largest city in Florida !
Wow ...when a large city speaks majority noon English ... That is a clear sign this country has been assimilated by another country.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
Make English the national language.

Enforce English language proficiency at all jobs.

Problem solved.

In Miami, you need to be proficient in Spanish to get any job. Burger king even. Everyone there goes around speaking Spanish everywhere, there is no consideration that they're in the US or the language is English.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Pull up to the drive-through window wearing one of these:

Available at Amazon

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Sorry senorita I don't speak spanish, I'll go over to Chick-Fil-A where they speak English.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post