SIGforum
Is this a Deer Tick?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3710013034

September 13, 2017, 01:46 PM
hunter62
Is this a Deer Tick?
This last weekend we were out working on our hunting property. I always give my self a good once over when returning, and more times than not I find a tick.

This last time I thought I got lucky, but apparently not. On Sunday we were at the property, today I found this little guy. I had always heard if you get them off in a few hours, no harm done. But this guy has likely been there for several days.

What to do? Do I need to go get setup on antibiotics? I just pulled him off today, so I am assuming something needs to be done quick.

Thank you!

September 13, 2017, 01:47 PM
45 Cal
Yep,pic is tiny Wink
September 13, 2017, 01:49 PM
hunter62
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Yep,pic is tiny Wink

Yeah I saw how massive it was once I uploaded, trying to resize in Imagur. I was used to Photobucket, now I have to learn all over again.
September 13, 2017, 02:10 PM
MNSIG
Looks like a standard wood tick to me.
September 13, 2017, 02:18 PM
SIG4EVA
Yes, he's hungry.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
September 13, 2017, 02:24 PM
hunter62
So if it is a deer tick, that has been feeding for the last 3 days, what do I need to do?
September 13, 2017, 02:28 PM
Sailor1911
See information from Orkin at the link. Don't think it's a "Deer Tick" Wrong colored legs.

Deer Tick

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
September 13, 2017, 02:31 PM
SBrooks
Doesn't really matter what kind of tick. They all have various diseases that they can pass on to you. I usually just watch the bite location for a rash. If you see a rash or have an otherwise unexplained fever - go get antibiotics.

Some folks will just go get the antibiotics anyway, but that seems like overkill.

------------------
SBrooks
September 13, 2017, 02:33 PM
ubelongoutside
If you tell your doc about it they may just call in an antibiotic prescription for you, or they may want to see you then give you an antibiotic prescription.

This is what mine has done in the past as a "precaution".

As others have said I don't think it's a deer tick, I also wonder if he was on you all that time, as he doesn't look like he's fed.

September 13, 2017, 02:40 PM
ChuckFinley
Prophylaxis with Single-Dose Doxycycline for the Prevention of Lyme ...
This randomized, controlled trial shows that antimicrobial prophylaxis with a single 200-mg dose of doxycycline, given after a recognized bite from an I. scapularis tick, is highly effective in preventing the development of Lyme disease.Jul 12, 2001

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200107123450201

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis
September 13, 2017, 02:41 PM
hunter62
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
If you tell your doc about it they may just call in an antibiotic prescription for you, or they may want to see you then give you an antibiotic prescription.

This is what mine has done in the past as a "precaution".

As others have said I don't think it's a deer tick, I also wonder if he was on you all that time, as he doesn't look like he's fed.

He did not look very big, freshly pulled in the picture but his head was definitely buried.

I checked myself on Sunday when I got back but on the Saturday before I mowed the yard and ended up with a few rocks to the leg. I could have easily assumed it was a small nick/scab from yard work.
September 13, 2017, 02:44 PM
Sailor1911
Here is another link with some comparisons Deer vs Dog.

Deer Tick v. Dog Tick

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
September 13, 2017, 02:48 PM
arfmel
Put the tick in a medicine bottle and show him to the doctor, if you had that filthy creature feeding on you. (The tick, not the doctor)

Lyme, Erlichia and other tick borne diseases are not to be trifled with.
September 13, 2017, 02:50 PM
stiab
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Some folks will just go get the antibiotics anyway, but that seems like overkill.

Yes, that is definitely overkill. I get 15 -20 tick bites a year, just watch them for skin reactions and then react accordingly.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY
September 13, 2017, 02:57 PM
hunter62
Well I called the doctor to see if he could just get me antibiotics, I would rather be safe than sorry. Unfortunately for me, he wants to see me at 8:30 tomorrow morning with the tick in hand. He said he would not prescribe anything without seeing me in person.

I have had tons of tick bites over the years, but I always find them within a few hours. I am just assuming this one was there for the last few days as that was when I was cutting tree limbs and cleaning out the shed at our hunting property.
September 13, 2017, 03:06 PM
I put tea tree oil on the bite to kill any bad guys. The oil must suffocate them and then they usually just fall off.

September 13, 2017, 04:49 PM
Aquabird
Ticks now are carrying Babesia. It is hard to find unless you are doing a blood test especially to find that.
Have any symptoms? Fatigue, sore throat, joints ache or coughing? You may have gotten a parasite from it?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
September 13, 2017, 05:48 PM
trapper189
Looks like male wood tick. Definitely not a deer tick.
September 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
dwright1951
Be very careful with tick bites, Lyme isn't the only thing to worry about, a nurse that I knojust told me that her husband got a tick bite and now he is allergic to red meat, rash, difficulty breathing, has to use a epi-pen or haul ass to the emergency room for treatment. I would go to the doctor get a antibiotic and nip it in the bud.
September 13, 2017, 09:36 PM
side_shot
YES IT'S A TICK YOU'RE GOING TO DIE

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod