SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DESPERATE PLEAD, where to go? US short trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DESPERATE PLEAD, where to go? US short trip Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
In warmer weather, the Outer Banks of North Carolina are the best place I've found to unwind. In the winter, probably not so much.
I'd hit St. Augustine or the Keys in Florida, then perhaps make my way up to Charleston SC.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Guys, bear in mind 0-0 is from Argentina.

He has world class skiing and mountains available to him in Bariloche if he desires... it’s basically a Swiss skiing town.

I’d recommend something that you can’t get in Argentina, something on the east coast of Florida (not Miami). Find a resort somewhere north of Palm Beach, book a nice room, and relax there for a week.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
She deserves her sunny beach days and a decent tan. I`d like to show her also some of the historical / more significant sites so she has conversational topics whe we come back and powerful reasons to want another trip as soon as our situation improves.
0-0

I love going to our SC beaches this time of year, but I'm not interested in getting in the ocean or lying out on the beach in the sun. Our winters are mild, but the days can be overcast. So just be aware of that.

If history is an interest, maybe a visit to St. Augustine, FL (as well as Charleston)?

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hey Nicky,

Glad to hear you're thinking of heading stateside. If your wife has a good time she's more likely to want to come back, so going with her preferences for sun and beach would seem to be a good first-pass plan.

If it's sun and beach that your wife's looking for and it's got to be east coast and it's got to be before year-end, you're really limited to southern Florida for reliably good east coast beach weather this time of year.

Pre-Irma, I'd have suggested Key West but they were hit pretty hard and I don't know how far along recovery has gotten. I'd want to check any potential south Florida locations to see how they were impacted by Hurricane Irma and how any needed repairs have progressed.

'Wait' being a four-letter word, and given you've earned a mental health break, wait may not be an attractive option, but more of the US will have warmer weather after our Spring rolls around and more sun/beach alternatives will start to open up.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Nicky, it is the opposite of the beach but you'd be welcome here in the western, NC mountains. We have a small guest house on the property so you'd have privacy.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Las Vegas, and while there, drive to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.
Weather should be decent.

I would think airfare to Las Vegas would be as good as anywhere.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start with a few days in the keys.
A few in South Beach
A week in Savannah.

Whatever you decide....have a safe and blissful vacation.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Nicky, it is the opposite of the beach but you'd be welcome here in the western, NC mountains. We have a small guest house on the property so you'd have privacy.

Another good one. I'll be in Jeff's neighborhood soon enjoying those mountains. I emailed you an offer to provide you a week free at a Charleston resort, but could give you a week at a resort in Jeff's neighborhood instead. Just like Charleston, I can't quite get it for you before the end of the year. Early next year in either location would be on me.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not a beach person, so am not a good source for such activities. Were it me with 2 weeks to spend traveling, I'd probably head for Utah and Colorado, with maybe a jump up to Glacier National Park (since you have passports, you'd even be set to see the Canadian part of the park).

In 2012 I did a combined trip of the 9-day AMTRAK tour from Chicago to Seattle (with 4 days in Glacier NP) and then took a shuttle bus to Vancouver, BC and did the 16-day Canada Rail tour from there to Halifax, NS. That was a super vacation, and I didn't have to do any driving! (Photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157635037593408/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157635052196955/ )

IMHO, beaches are overrated--I sunburn easily and don't like the water. (I have this agreement with sharks--I'll stay out of the water if they'll stay off the land--so far it's been working....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Florida Keys, enough said

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Don't want to jinx it by wishing it too hard with my current luck but thinking aloud this is what is starting to appeal to me:

My wife hasn't been abroad but for Cuba before we met.
If she can stand the weather I believe a few days in NYC would marvel her.
Then egas sounds great and finally the last days spent at the beach...
Where? Savanah?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little chilly on Tybee Island, the beach at Savanna, this time of year. Somewhere in Florida is where the beach weather is at this time of year.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nicky,
An Argentine ex-pat friend has e-mailed you his thoughts.
--Bob

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Been reading the emails, am extremely grateful for the offers and advise.

The spousal unit is, I'm afraid, not the outdorsy type. As much as I care for the great outdoors, mountains surrounding lakes, rivers, plains, etc she only will do the beaches, sunbathing and clear salty sater thing wich does not compute in my personal universe.
Sightseeing, street walking and shoping together will be a first for us as a couple. I can enjoy NYC in february with snow up to my knees, no problem but I don't picture her doing the same thing.

Have no clue what is there in Vegas for us, non gamblers, but imagine it has plenty of other attractions.
South FL seems to be the most sensible thing but I have no references. An old friend of mine used to have me staying for a fw days at the end of my trips but I basically never left his house nad sent no further than the end of his pier. This was at Key Largo.

0-0

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I think NYC is a good choice.
You all will have fun there.

Now about that street walking.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I know, I know...

I do not drink or smoke but I learned to ice skate in Central Park with a healthy dose of vodka to warm my guts and numb the body for all those initial crash landings. Figured that the no brain, no pain saying could have some truth in it. Also for me, NYC is the home of the Vodka-Jalapeño, nothing better in cold weather.

How's that for a non drinker?

0-0

Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
If you want to move up the state of Florida a bit, you might consider Siesta Key, near Sarasota. There is shopping in Sarasota, albeit nothing to compare to NYC, and there are multiple beaches with gorgeous powder white sane.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give a look at Sanibel Island.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post