SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DESPERATE PLEAD, where to go? US short trip
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DESPERATE PLEAD, where to go? US short trip Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My wife and I haven't had 4 straight days of rest in over ten years. We are about to celebrate 4 years of marriage without even a wedding night. Both mentally and physically exhausted and until right now also heavily in debt. Haven't see my kids in over a year, all things that weighted heavily on my heart and spirit. My friend Joel can testify that I ' ve excluded myself of our joint gaming sessions long ago. Call it shame, embarrasement, take your pick.
My rare guns are gone, sold for a whisper and in a rush to partially cover some bills. My marriage has been in dire straits for way to long. Lost any hope a long time ago but the wife is the strong one.

Hopefully, I'll be able to sell a property I own and cover my debts in full. With what remains I plan to take the wife on a two weeks trip to the US, sometime by the end of this hear.
She loves the sun and the beach but has never been to the US.
I'm open to suggestions and used to visit the US staying in three different places. One or two to visit and the last one to rest.

We've had it with bad news. When we think it can't get worse some more shit happens. Right now the gas (heating) has been cut to the whole huge building and won't be restored until all of it complies with current regulations. We experienced that a few hears ago with a small building of 9appartments and it took almost a full years. This building has over 120 appartments.
Life has been shit to us for too long, we pray for a break.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Well, seeking the sun and beach you can have a great time in south Florida. Hawaii is really great but it is expensive. Hope things go better for you soon!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Start with Savannah, Ga or Charleston SC. Either one would be a good choice. sight seeing, shopping, nightlife. Spend 2-3 days.

Next go to Orlando, FL. Spend a few days hitting the various parks and the local attractions.

Finish up by staying in one of the many small towns on the southwest coast of FL for the beaches and the quiet.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3850 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wait, why the US? For example, why not Bora Bora? Or an island in the Caribbean?

Do you want just sun and beach? Or are there specific water activities you'd like to do? Kayaking? Wave running? Snorkeling / scuba?

Do you want quiet? Or active night life and partying?

World wide, there are lots of choices and I'm not really sure the US would be one of my top choices for sun/beach with the exception of ease of domestic travel and language.

Sounds like you guys need / deserve a great time. But is US a priority or sun/beach the priority?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Kauai would be my suggestion. This time of year it would be your best bet.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Start with Savannah, Ga or Charleston SC. Either one would be a good choice. sight seeing, shopping, nightlife. Spend 2-3 days.

Next go to Orlando, FL. Spend a few days hitting the various parks and the local attractions.

Finish up by staying in one of the many small towns on the southwest coast of FL for the beaches and the quiet.

^^^ I second all of this, especially Low Country. Savannah and Charleston time moves a second or two slower there, very relaxing.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
If you want peaceful easy village life - Ocracoke Island, NC is my personal favorite. 5 days there will put you into what they term an ocracoma. Add a few days in whatever beach you chose in Fl, or could try to see what the west coast has to offer, but beaches are not what I would go west for - certainly a great deal of amazing national parks out west though.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I've travelled the world in my youth, she hasn't so the US and Europe are at the top of her list. Since our summer is your winter I thought Europe should wait but the southern part of the States could fit the bill.

Too old to rock and roll (or maybe not just yet), too young to die. We just need to rest our souls, do some sightseeing and shop for clothes.
Savanah sounds great, been hoping to go since I saw The garden of good and evil and spend a few days in New Orleans years ago.

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since you mention taking this vacation in the next month or so, I would stick with Florida.
The panhandle, Destin area, is off season now so would be inexpensive and has very nice beaches. Weather should be cooler but generally nice.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
I've travelled the world in my youth, she hasn't so the US and Europe are at the top of her list. Since our summer is your winter I thought Europe should wait but the southern part of the States could fit the bill.

Too old to rock and roll (or maybe not just yet), too young to die. We just need to rest our souls, do some sightseeing and shop for clothes.
Savanah sounds great, been hoping to go since I saw The garden of good and evil and spend a few days in New Orleans years ago.

0-0

Get thee to Denver. Get a Hotel in Lodo if you like Beer, near 16th street if you like fancy schmancy shopping. Take a rental car trip yonder to Rocky Mountain National Park. Eat at many fine eateries in Boulder, check out NOAA then take 36 east and hit I-25 South, you will pass the Flatirons mall, then on I25 you will see shopping opportunities for just about anything you would want(Park Meadows on the south end, and an IKEA). The weather is a tad chilly, so pack layers.

OR Get a hotel in Telluride if you wanna splurge and Veg. That place is amazing. Extra points if you can get on a direct flight Wink

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Thinking costs here and callin' the SigMonkey!

I'll throw in up to $500 for any expenses!

'Tis the season!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Las Vegas.
Lots of great shows, the Grand Canyon, gambling.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Las Vegas.
Lots of great shows, the Grand Canyon, gambling.

OOOH Or that...

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you make it to Charleston, or Madeira Beach, FL, I'll provide the ice cream. (Just let me know where you'll be staying, and I'll send some tokens.)

(Myrtle Beach is lovely, but gets a bit raw and cold later on in the winter.)

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida. Get a car and just drive......start in Key West for a few days.....work your way up to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for a few days.....St. Augustine.......Orlando.....West coast of Florida......LOTS to see and do and it's always warm......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I ain't got a big house, but I could give you (give = NO COST) a private bedroom and use of a car if you want to visit Washington, DC. I might even be willing to take you to the places off the beaten path.

Food is simple fare, also provided.

You'd just have to tolerate two cats, me, and my friends.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
hey Nick

come to Arizona

you and the wife can use my place as a hub, crash here when you want, drive to California for a few days, drive to the Grand Canyon, drive to Mexico and visit Rocky Point...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car, and tour the western national parks. Breathtaking!

Go to Florida Keys and do absolutely nothing. Just chill.

I would have also suggested California wine country but that area has been ravaged by fires.

New York City.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
this time of year, everything north of FL is cooling off..the Gulf coast of FL is nice some good beaches!! The keys are always a good three day stay. Plus time to sober up.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for these most generous offers.

Haven´t driven for many years and my permit is no longer valid. I rather let someone else do the driving nowadays. Ages ago I drove with friends from NYC to Philly, Atlanta, NO and ended up in Miami but that was a long time ago.

Sticking to the Eastern parts of the US. From where I stand, getting to the West doubles the airfare price.
Vegas sounds crazy and interesting. We watch endless reruns of CSI EVERY DAY. Kid you not.

She deserves her sunny beach days and a decent tan. I`d like to show her also some of the historical / more significant sites so she has conversational topics whe we come back and powerful reasons to want another trip as soon as our situation improves.
I`ll definitely look into Vegas. we could get married (again) there. Who knows. it would make our trip memorable for sure.

0-0