SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Usain Bolt finishes third in the his final 100m race, Gatlin takes world title
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Usain Bolt finishes third in the his final 100m race, Gatlin takes world title Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Usain Bolt finishes third in the his final 100m race, Gatlin takes world title
Latest update : 05/08/2017

American veteran Justin Gatlin was booed after he stunned Usain Bolt to win the 100m world title in London on Saturday.

Gatlin, who served a doping ban between 2006-10 and won silvers behind Bolt at the last two world championships, clocked 9.92 seconds, with teammate Christian Coleman winning silver in 9.94sec.

Bolt suffered a dreadful start and could only claim bronze in 9.95sec.

"I'm sorry I couldn't end it on a winning note, but I want to thank you for your support," said Bolt, who embraced Gatlin after they streaked through the line with no clear victor immediately apparent.

"It's been a wonderful experience as always."

Gatlin was afforded the same rough reception as he had in the heats and semi-finals, loud boos and jeering ringing around the same stadium where in 2012 his rivalry with Bolt was presented as 'good against evil', given the American's doping-tainted past.

But Gatlin has form as the last man to beat Bolt over 100m -- by a hundredth of a second in Rome in 2013 -- and at the age of 35, can still produce the goods, something he has in the past ironically credited with his four years of forced exile from the track.

(AFP)

http://m.france24.com/en/20170...in-takes-world-title

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Bolt was an amazing champion and I am holding onto hope that he was one of the few that will not have a current blood/urine sample pop positive at some point in the future as they develop new ways to test.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Bolt was an amazing champion and I am holding onto hope that he was one of the few that will not have a current blood/urine sample pop positive at some point in the future as they develop new ways to test.

Bolt seems like the real deal. He's simply built like no other sprinter out there, yet he has the leg speed of shorter athletes.

In this instance it appears that he just had a terrible start, and in a race as short as 100m...well, you know.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post