SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police Psych Testing Screening Out Too Many Minorities
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Psych Testing Screening Out Too Many Minorities Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
The city of Minneapolis may fire its police psychology evaluator because his tests screened out too many minority candidates, despite already lowering psych evaluations far below the national standard.

The July police shooting of Justine Damond triggered the city to scrutinize its psychological standards for police, with many claiming they’d become lax. Psychiatrist Thomas Gratzer has run psych testing for the Minneapolis police for the past five years, and in that time, he has eliminated four of the five tests used to determine whether a candidate is fit to be an officer, APM reported Thursday. Now, Gratzer is facing firing not for gutting his standard, but for screening out too many minorities.

Mohamed Noor, the officer who shot Damond, is Somali and was one of 200 cops approved by Gratzer’s standards over the past five years, which were already far below the national standard.

Minneapolis used a more standard five-test procedure up until 2012, and according to a 2004 federal study, those tests worked. The study found that the officers flagged as concerning by the tests were three times more likely to engage in misconduct, APM reported.

There’s no way to verify whether Noor shot Damond due to mental unfitness, but many are calling for him to be charged due to the circumstances of the encounter. Noor and his partner were responding to Damond’s call when she exited her home and approached the police car. Noor claims to have then heard a loud banging noise as someone–presumably Damond–slapped the car.

Seconds later, Noor opened fire and Damond was killed.

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges took to Facebook following the shooting, immediately coming to the defense of Minnesota’s Somali community.

“To the Somali community: I want you to know that you are a valued and appreciated part of Minneapolis,” she wrote. “I stand with you and support you. The strength and beauty of the Somali and East African communities are a vital part of what makes Minneapolis so strong and beautiful. I am grateful to be your neighbor.”

Noor has not faced any charges.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12...too-many-minorities/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The same city that is dealing with a PIS that may be the result of "fast tracking" a candidate needed to balance?

Drop the standards and see the result. NYPD found that out decades back when due to their low starting pay, they were forced to take anyone and anything. A few years down the road major issues were coming up all traced back to that specific bunch of hires.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for and they ain't paying much.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drop the standards and see the result. NYPD found that out decades back when due to their low starting pay, they were forced to take anyone and anything. A few years down the road major issues were coming up all traced back to that specific bunch of hires.

It is beyond me why any professional would accept the liability of screening police officers in this instance. The fact that the psychiatrist was willing to eliminate four of the five tests is frightening enough. I am glad I do not live in the Twin cities.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
They will probably do what they did in this area not too long ago. When the minorities couldn't pass the math test, which was simple 5th grade math, they eliminated the test.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
They will probably do what they did in this area not too long ago. When the minorities couldn't pass the math test, which was simple 5th grade math, they eliminated the test.

Seems to be a pretty common occurrence.

Saw it at Hampton U. back in the very early '90s.

3rd and 4th year students that could no spell, write a coherent sentence, and had no logical thinking skills.

And given that the school systems, at large, have proven to be totally incompetent I am not surprised at stuff like this.

Too many applicants failing tests? Do away with the tests. Roll Eyes

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Lots and lots of folks need to read The Bell Curve and let it sink in.

To paraphrase scoutmaster, if you're answering a multiple choice question and you eliminate the correct answer then you're gonna get it wrong.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They just need to do away with the "science" of polygraph screening.

I wonder which minorities they're trying to hire... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Lots and lots of folks need to read The Bell Curve and let it sink in.

Yup. Although it was written many years ago, the validity of that book’s observations becomes more obvious by the day. Preemployment polygraphs, however, are no better than looking at sheep guts, and I’m not sure that psych exams are any more valid.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
That's unfortunate because by the time those candidates get to the psych eval, they've already disqualified 10 other qualified "non minorities".

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not sure that psych exams are any more valid.

I disagree. If you look at the Federal Study conducted in 2004, which is referenced in the original article you will see that the selection process eliminated problem candidates. The pdf document is 141 pages and is well written. It speaks to the validity of certain test instruments in screening candidates.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have given many psychological tests. Reading the article I recognized a number of the tests. The one I'm most familiar with is the MMPI 2. The MMPI 2 has just under 600 true/false tests. It's reading level is Grade 4. The MMPI dates to the 1940s and has been researched throughly.
Checking the other tests:
The COPS-R is designed specifically for law enforcement evaluations
The California Personality Inventory has a 74% accuracy in determining suitability for law enforcement.

These three tests have internal validity and are valid with each other. You simply don't give just one test and make a diagnosis. Having 5 tests to compare and check validity makes a great deal of sense.

Testers give the tests and make observations of the client. People tend to try to make themselves look good. Each of the tests takes this into account. After the tests are score and the write up finished, the Psychologist donee an evaluation.

While not perfect predictors, these tests are an excellent way to understand how a client will do in the future. Odds are excellent that those that fail the full evaluation wouldn't work out in law enforcement. No, there's no way to "practice" and improve.

Those that failed are unlikely to be successful in law enforcement. Sadly, in our PC culture, this isn't acceptable. Everybody must pass.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
3rd and 4th year students that could no spell, write a coherent sentence, and had no logical thinking skills.

Big Grin

um, just saying, Elk.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
That’s how it was at my place. When I started, college was required. The test was hard. Very few minorities passed it. (I am the minority at my place but I don’t count). They dumbed the test down and dropped it to two years of college attempted. Nope. Still not enough. They really dumbed the test down and got rid of college. Our last test, we hired no one because all the minorities failed the psych. Not sure how our mayor hasn’t been sued again for reverse discrimination for skipping qualified white people. Our minorities (not me) get a pass for screwing up because he’s trying to fast track them into leadership positions. Glad I am almost done with this sh!thole.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a saying from when I worked in the private sector. "You hire most of your problems".

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
The city of Minneapolis may fire its police psychology evaluator because his tests screened out too many minority candidates, despite already lowering psych evaluations far below the national standard.

The July police shooting of Justine Damond triggered the city to scrutinize its psychological standards for police, with many claiming they’d become lax. Psychiatrist Thomas Gratzer has run psych testing for the Minneapolis police for the past five years, and in that time, he has eliminated four of the five tests used to determine whether a candidate is fit to be an officer, APM reported Thursday. Now, Gratzer is facing firing not for gutting his standard, but for screening out too many minorities.

Mohamed Noor, the officer who shot Damond, is Somali and was one of 200 cops approved by Gratzer’s standards over the past five years, which were already far below the national standard.

Minneapolis used a more standard five-test procedure up until 2012, and according to a 2004 federal study, those tests worked. The study found that the officers flagged as concerning by the tests were three times more likely to engage in misconduct, APM reported.

There’s no way to verify whether Noor shot Damond due to mental unfitness, but many are calling for him to be charged due to the circumstances of the encounter. Noor and his partner were responding to Damond’s call when she exited her home and approached the police car. Noor claims to have then heard a loud banging noise as someone–presumably Damond–slapped the car.

Seconds later, Noor opened fire and Damond was killed.

Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges took to Facebook following the shooting, immediately coming to the defense of Minnesota’s Somali community.

“To the Somali community: I want you to know that you are a valued and appreciated part of Minneapolis,” she wrote. “I stand with you and support you. The strength and beauty of the Somali and East African communities are a vital part of what makes Minneapolis so strong and beautiful. I am grateful to be your neighbor.”

Noor has not faced any charges.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12...too-many-minorities/

And here I thought only shitcago was that screwed up.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post