SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yale student accidentally gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yale student accidentally gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

he has lived illegally since 1988.

father’s attorney and interpreter

if you have lived here since 1988 and you need an interpreter......

Needing a terp despite living in country for some time isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. My wife is from NZ. After her grandfather died in the 70s, her grandmother moved from Fiji to NZ and lived with my wife and MIL. She only spoke various Indian Languages, and some English. Not fluent in English by the time I met her (at age 95 or so, some 30 years after moving to NZ). Yeah, she needed a terp (usually her daughter or grand daughter), but she was also already a retiree by that point.

Funny story, one of the English words she knew was 'hospital'. My MIL was an MD. It got to the point that the blood bank would call reminding my wife that she was eligible to donate again, grandma would hear "Hospital" and "Sushma", not get the rest of the conversation and freak the fuck out. Ended up telling the blood bank to quit calling.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

he has lived illegally since 1988.

father’s attorney and interpreter

if you have lived here since 1988 and you need an interpreter......

My feelings exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by hile:
Needing a terp despite living in country for some time isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. My wife is from NZ. After her grandfather died in the 70s, her grandmother moved from Fiji to NZ and lived with my wife and MIL.

Just slightly >< different situations, don't you think?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Needing a terp despite living in country for some time isn't necessarily indicative of a problem.
Thirty freaking years this guy has been here. It's a problem. Don't kid yourself.

It pisses me off to hear stuff like this. Thirty yesrs in a country and you can't speak the language? The phrase "Fuck you" comes to mind.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Needing a terp despite living in country for some time isn't necessarily indicative of a problem.
Thirty freaking years this guy has been here. It's a problem. Don't kid yourself.

It pisses me off to hear stuff like this. Thirty yesrs in a country and you can't speak the language? The phrase "Fuck you" comes to mind.

A grandma living out her years with family is way different than someone who spent 30 years in the work-a-day world, having children, etc.!!

Along with the above, the words stupid and/or lazy come to mind.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
quote:
was detained while in the process of getting his green card

That's funny, becasue he would have to leave the country to get his green card.

Not necessarily.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I don't think that it's laziness or stupidity. He just doesn't want to speak English. Probably knows some, hell he has been here 30 years, just doesn't want to speak it. Part of the Mexican arrogance and hatred of the US.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:
quote:

Not necessarily.

Maybe you can then explain the circumstances on how anyone can properly obtain a green card without having to return to his or her country of origin. I'd really be curious.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Can we “reimagine” our income also?
This chick is a trip!

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
quote:
Viviana, who is majoring in ethnicity, race and migration

WTF kind of major is that?

No Shit!

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite thread today. Even the parts that pissed me off made me smile.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
She's an "anchor baby." She had to wait until age 21 to sponser her father. I'm not sure what her mother's status is. As I read it, she can do this but her father faces a ten year ban before he can re-enter the US.

"In order to apply for such an option, the parent of a so-called anchor baby would need to do all of the following.

Wait for his or her child to reach the age of 21.
Leave the United States.
Return to their home country.
Have their child begin the lengthy process of applying for a family reunification immigration request.
Clear consular interviews and a U.S. State Department background check. (One or both would very likely provide evidence that said parent, at some point, lived in the United States illegally -- long enough for that "anchor baby" to be conceived or born. And despite widespread belief to the contrary, there is indeed a penalty for that.)"

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.8f52c2a2318f

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not necessarily.

Maybe you can then explain the circumstances on how anyone can properly obtain a green card without having to return to his or her country of origin. I'd really be curious.

Section 245 Adjustment of Status. Ideally you'd be here in a lawful but non-immigrant status (B-1, B-2, E, F, H, etc) but illegal entrants and overstays can also apply to adjust. An I-130 (Petition) needs filed by the USC spouse or parent (or, I suppose, child.)

Pretty much routine.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
What Dennis said.
You can come in as a tourist or on a student visa, get married and apply for a green card.
You don't have to leave the country.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
What Dennis said.
You can come in as a tourist or on a student visa, get married and apply for a green card.

In my experience, one must return to his or her country in order to finalize the process. You can't just be here illegally and apply for a green card and not have to return home to have your final interview at the US embassy there. That's the way it works. If some are somehow avoiding that process, then he or she is getting special treatment which is a load of bull.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

You go to Yale and that’s what you major in?!? What’s the job market for someone with a degree like that?...

Oh wait. She gets a law degree and just becomes a professional pain-in-the-ass.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
What Dennis said.

In my experience, one must return to his or her country in order to finalize the process. You can't just be here illegally and apply for a green card and not have to return home to have your final interview at the US embassy there. That's the way it works. If some are somehow avoiding that process, then he or she is getting special treatment which is a load of bull.

If you're here on a student or tourist visa, you're not here illegally.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
quote:

WTF kind of major is that?
From the sounds of it, the kind that gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration. Big Grin

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

You go to Yale and that’s what you major in?!? What’s the job market for someone with a degree like that?...

Oh wait. She gets a law degree and just becomes a professional pain-in-the-ass.

On one hand, that is so ridiculous. On the other hand, that is so real. I don't know if I should laugh or cry (maybe both).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
I don't think that it's laziness or stupidity. He just doesn't want to speak English. Probably knows some, hell he has been here 30 years, just doesn't want to speak it. Part of the Mexican arrogance and hatred of the US.

You may be correct.

A college prof in the room before me was teaching a class involving Hispanic culture. From leftovers at the end of class (that he didn't clean up), it was clear he was teaching hate America and Hispanic dominance over the US.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post