SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yale student accidentally gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yale student accidentally gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I guess you don't have to be too bright to major in ethnicity, race and migration at Yale.

Imagine if you had a father to help you get into Yale, one of the most prestigious universities — only to talk so much about your struggle and the oppression you faced growing up, that you end up getting him deported.

In a cruel twist of irony, that’s what happened to Viviana Andazola Marquez, who wrote in The New York Times: “I accidentally turned my dad into immigration services.”

In a Tuesday Times op-ed, the 21-year-old described how her father, Melecio, was detained while in the process of getting his green card to become a permanent resident of the United States, where he has lived illegally since 1988. Previously, she provided extensive detail about her parents’ undocumented status to the Huffington Post.

“Most people can’t wait to turn 21 so that they can drink,” she wrote. “For me, it was the day I could finally petition the government to change my dad’s immigration status. I filed the paperwork in February and believed it would be the beginning of sleeping easier at night, of not worrying about ‘la migra’ every time the phone rang.”

In the op-ed, Viviana, who is majoring in ethnicity, race and migration, described how her father raised four children on income from construction work. “He pays his taxes and plays by the rules,” she said. “He himself has been a perfect citizen — although, of course, he can’t call himself that.”

On Oct. 12, Viviana took time off during her senior year at Yale to fly home to Denver to help her father with his interview with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. She thought it would be the final step in a process he’s been involved in for 16 years. Following a recommendation for approval, she was asked to leave the room — and moments later, her father’s attorney and interpreter appeared to tell her that they were told to leave the room by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.

“I have spent hours discussing, studying and reimagining fairer immigration policies. But none of that, none of my hard work, is good enough. It won’t release my dad,” she wrote, lamenting that she was unable to do anything about his deportation despite majoring in the topic at college.

According to Hans Meyer, Andazola Morales’ immigration attorney, his client was detained because of an order of exclusion issued when he was stopped at a Texas border in 1997. According to the Denver Post, an order of exclusion is a legal term no longer in use, but it’s effectively the same as an order of deportation. Following deportation in 1998, he returned once again to the U.S. undetected, where he has lived ever since.

ICE confirmed the details with the Denver Post, stating that it was acting on the reinstatement of a previous removal order in 1997.

Andazola Morales’s detention has made the waves throughout Yale, where Viviana’s friends and supporters started a GoFundMe to help the family. They gathered to protest outside of the Geo Group detention facility on Tuesday evening. The GoFundMe page has received $74,000 as of Tuesday.

“It isn’t unheard of for people going through the process, who are following the legal process to receive a green card, are sometimes detained and put into deportation proceedings,” said assistant professor César Cuauhtémoc García Hernández, who teaches law at the University of Denver.

“The tricky thing about the age we’re living in is that the Trump administration has expanded the prioritization that immigration officers used under President Obama such that these days, just about anyone who is in the U.S. who is violation of immigration law is a top priority.”

Melecio Andazola Marquez has been in detention ever since in Aurora, Colorado, and awaits deportation unless ICE grants him the cancellation of his removal.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10...ien-father-detained/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
was detained while in the process of getting his green card

That's funny, becasue he would have to leave the country to get his green card.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
1) Dumb question: if here illegally, one does not have a SSN. If no, SSN, how does one pay Fed/State taxes?

2) Should investigate the construction company who employed him.

3) He played by the rules except..... For example, entering the country illegally TWICE. Where else, pray tell, did he play by the rules. Didn't do nuthing crowd - famous last words. Did he receive any benefits to which he wasn't entitled? Pay that back first and then let's talk.

4) What is unfair about the immigration policies? Aside from not being able to come and live here illegally?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she has been a liberal cause du jour for years.

sorry for the HP link.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com...926ce4b0a40aa3ac3bae

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
“He pays his taxes and plays by the rules,”

If he pays his taxes as an illegal - who's SSN is he using?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yale student accidentally gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration

Good for her!

quote:

“I have spent hours discussing, studying and reimagining fairer immigration policies. But none of that, none of my hard work, is good enough. It won’t release my dad,” she wrote, lamenting that she was unable to do anything about his deportation despite majoring in the topic at college.

That made me laugh out loud.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Typical leftist, willing to turn in her family to advance the agenda.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

[Fred Sanford] Big Dummy! [/Fred]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that brightened my day

Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Reentry after Deportation (or in this case, reentry after exclusion), without consent of the Attorney General, is a felony. He needs to start saying prayers of thanksgiving that they're not charging him, merely "reinstating" the prior order of removal.

quote:
“The tricky thing about the age we’re living in is that the Trump administration has expanded the prioritization that immigration officers used under President Obama such that these days, just about anyone who is in the U.S. who is violation of immigration law is a top priority.”

Yeah. How 'bout that whole "shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed" clause in Article II, huh? Who'dathunkit?

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
“He pays his taxes and plays by the rules,”

If he pays his taxes as an illegal - who's SSN is he using?

Some here illegally get a Federal Tax ID number, an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, meant for Aliens not eligible for a SS Number.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
What ^he^ said.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Typical leftist, willing to turn in her family to advance the agenda.

It was likely her plan all along. What sympathy would she get without him being deported?
None, this would not be a story. She gets no sympathy from me but sadly she will from many.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

he has lived illegally since 1988.

father’s attorney and interpreter

if you have lived here since 1988 and you need an interpreter......

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Yale student accidentally gets Illegal Father detained by Immigration

Good for her!

quote:

That made me laugh out loud.

I had the same reactions. Then I became totally confused as to how she came to this conclusion.

Antifa, anthem kneelers, safe space snowflakes are all screwed up, but I can at least understand - kind of - where they're coming from. I am totally baffled by the above statement.

Dad has lived here for almost 30 years, and still needs an interpreter!?! WTF? Mad

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
1) Dumb question: if here illegally, one does not have a SSN. If no, SSN, how does one pay Fed/State taxes?

2) Should investigate the construction company who employed him.

3) He played by the rules except..... For example, entering the country illegally TWICE. Where else, pray tell, did he play by the rules. Didn't do nuthing crowd - famous last words. Did he receive any benefits to which he wasn't entitled? Pay that back first and then let's talk.

4) What is unfair about the immigration policies? Aside from not being able to come and live here illegally?

With a green card, I think you're assigned a temporary number with which you are taxed and can work.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
One more gone!
Who paid for YALE?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Viviana, who is majoring in ethnicity, race and migration

WTF kind of major is that?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

Untitled by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Dropped a dime on the old man to get rid of him, and now has a nice payoff with the GoFundMe account to get a boob job.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post