SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Opioid Crisis continues: Blacklisting the doctors
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Opioid Crisis continues: Blacklisting the doctors Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by truckola:
The opioid crisis is being handled like the gun "crisis", the law abiding are continually being assaulted with more laws and rules that the law breakers will never follow.

This is probably true. Responsible people suffer because of the bad apples, and the bad apples will evade the regulation anyway.

No society has ever, or will ever "win" the war on drugs. Some people like to take drugs for fun enough that they can't be stopped. But we keep waging it.

Sorry for your troubles, KKina.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Every new doctor I have seen in the last 5 years, (really not than many) made me sign a waiver accepting the fact that they do not prescribe pain medication, ever. I can count the number of pain pills I have taken on 1 hand. I recently broke my foot in several places, they basically told me to tough it out.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Tylenol 3 an option? It contains codeine but I’m not sure how well that helps with really bad pain. It helped a lot when I had surgery for a detached retina but I only used it one day. With the Tylenol it may only be ok for short term use. I hear it can be prescribed without all the hassle.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Is Tylenol 3 an option? It contains codeine but I’m not sure how well that helps with really bad pain.

There are basically two forms of opiates; the straight stuff in various forms and names and the potentiators. The potentiators are mixed with aspirin, Tylenol, or Motrin. The latter get complicated for many reasons. Tylenol is useless but if you ask for something with Motrin it is almost impossible to get due to supply issues. You want the ibuprofen mix for pains such as dental problems or orthopedic problems. The doc may write you a script but your pharmacy may not be able to fill it. If you get T3s you could mix it with over-the-counter ibuprofen but then it could be very toxic to your liver when combined with Tylenol.

Again, nobody should want the government to be practicing medicine.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Tylenol 3 an option? It contains codeine but I’m not sure how well that helps with really bad pain.

T3 is fairly useless for most patients.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

sound familar?

You left out the part about the Screamer from The Hood calling the retail chain's 1-800 "bitch at us number" to file a racism or racial profiling complaint against the pharmacy staff.

kkina ... hang in there. I hope you can find the mix of treatments that will make things tolerable.

the company I worked for , any Rx related issues went to the regional/divisional Rx person (female) then down to the district Rx guy, then to me and or the Rx instore,

never an issue, as in only happened once or twice,
the abusers either can't afford the minutes or have not figured out how to get one from the gov't

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Getting in to see a pain management MD is another joke in of itself. *IF* you find one accepting new patients, they want to review your records before they’ll see you. This usually results in a “thanks, but no thanks. Dr. So and So doesn’t feel he can help”. Once you do finally find someone you get treated like a street junkie. I’m fortunate to have a good relationship with my Doc that I’ve seen for 3yrs or so, it’s maddening for a new patient though.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm trying a third pharmacy. So far they say that they can only do a partial quantity fill (better than nothing), must still verify with my physician (fine), and wait on a backorder (about a week). I'm very curious if all the pharms are keying off a common blacklist, although the other ones said I should try a different pharmacy. There's not a lot known about this doctor blacklist yet; I queried a couple pharm techs, and they genuinely did not seem to know anything about it.

If no luck, I must try to wean myself through withdrawal with the tiny amount I have left.

I also see that the county is suing several distributors of Oxycodone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Update: prescription is not going to happen. Got a nice song-and-dance explanation, though I know the real reason. Something about using Oxycodone to control pain is considered off-label use. Kind of hard to type that with a straight face.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Update: prescription is not going to happen. Got a nice song-and-dance explanation, though I know the real reason. Something about using Oxycodone to control pain is considered off-label use. Kind of hard to type that with a straight face.

Make contact with your doc BEFORE you run out of OXY.... You're likely to go through withdrawal and this can sometimes be dangerous. He needs to be involved with this process.

This whole situations sucks.....I'm sorry.mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Make contact with your doc BEFORE you run out of OXY.... You're likely to go through withdrawal and this can sometimes be dangerous. He needs to be involved with this process.

This whole situations sucks.....I'm sorry.mike

I'm well aware of the timing and the effects of withdrawal. I've been through it twice, the first time in a hospital. Both times cold turkey, no Suboxone or support drugs. I am in close contact with my primary care physician, in fact I'm seeing him again on Monday to discuss alternatives.

Thanks for the support.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you, Kkina. We shared a thread last fall about chronic pain. Shortly after that I weened myself off Oxy (was prescribed it after spinal fusion number two.). It sucked for a solid 10-14 days, assistance is the better route if you can get it from your MD. Nothing you don’t know here, just offering positive thoughts!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

There are basically two forms of opiates; the straight stuff in various forms and names and the potentiators. The potentiators are mixed with aspirin, Tylenol, or Motrin. The latter get complicated for many reasons. Tylenol is useless but if you ask for something with Motrin it is almost impossible to get due to supply issues. You want the ibuprofen mix for pains such as dental problems or orthopedic problems. The doc may write you a script but your pharmacy may not be able to fill it. If you get T3s you could mix it with over-the-counter ibuprofen but then it could be very toxic to your liver when combined with Tylenol.

Again, nobody should want the government to be practicing medicine.

Actually not exactly true Tylenol metabolized by liver nsaids ( ie ibuprofen) metabolized by kidneys

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Don't you love it when the gov't and a bunch of busy bodies know what is better for you than you and your doctor, esp when they have no idea what chronic pain is like.

I take a pain killer which doesn't have any "high" factor to it (not that there is one when one is in true pain) but it ended up on a list in AZ. Now it's on a special list where I can't get more than 56 pills at a time (just under a two month supply).

Thank you Republicans. That's not a pro-Dem statement, but it's who is passing these asinine bills to stop what is essentially drug running. There are no more pill palaces, DEA handled those years ago. Now it just makes me walk with a cane at middle age, never mind the high blood pressure and constant agony of not getting the right meds and constant doctor visits - time and expense I can't really afford.

Best of luck to the OP. I feel for you. Hopefully those naysayers never have to live what we deal with on a daily basis.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post