SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bosch dishwashers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bosch dishwashers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My bride bought one in 2006. One minor problem in the computer? In 2008. Since then all ok. Does everything it's supposed to and is very quiet.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
As to the smell: Bosch has a "Rinse and Hold" cycle. Use it.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
We got one about 2 years ago and it has been fine.

The wife thinks the regular wash cycle is too long (over 2 hours), so she uses the express cycle (about 1 hour). The dishes come out just as clean.

It is super quiet. You only know it's running when you see the red "puddle" light on the floor.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:

2) It loves to tell you when it's done with the most annoying beep that won't shut up until you open the door.

Not ours. The "finished" beep is pretty quiet and only repeats twice.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Got one open box at Best Buy. Retail was $900 I think I paid 450. 500 series. Have been nothing but pleased with it, and would buy another in a heartbeat. Super quiet and nice features, such as the 'third rack' up top for silverware.

Some things I learned: they recommend the Finish soap tablets, and I've been using those all along with no issues. They work very well. However, they actually tend to work better if you leave a little food residue on the stuff so that the enzymes have something to work on. No BS, I read it on a Bosch forum and thought it was insane, but it's actually true.

Additionally, they recommend using Jet Dry rinse aid, DO NOT skip this! It's critical to the quality of the wash.

As mentioned, they all have a screen pre-filter on the base of the tub that then goes down through a secondary filter tube with metal mesh on it. I tend to pull it out and clean it probably once a month, but if it starts to smell a bit I'll pull it sooner. We run that dishwasher probably 4 times a week and it doesn't build up fast.

They take longer to run than the older ones (2.5 hours for the normal wash) but can handle a significant load of dishes and do a great job on it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:

2) It loves to tell you when it's done with the most annoying beep that won't shut up until you open the door.

Not ours. The "finished" beep is pretty quiet and only repeats twice.

Mine beeps about 10 times in about 30 seconds when it's finished, then 5 times every 5 or 10 min after until you open the door. It does stop eventually, but it takes a long time.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Word to the wise: you must have at least a 24" opening to install a Bosch dishwasher. There is no wiggle room on this. Ask me how I know. Wink

I just had a Kitchenaid Architect installed instead. So far so good. You have to put your ear by it to tell if it's on.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8797 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Word to the wise: you must have at least a 24" opening to install a Bosch dishwasher. There is no wiggle room on this. Ask me how I know. Wink

I just had a Kitchenaid Architect installed instead. So far so good. You have to put your ear by it to tell if it's on.

As I understand, that's the reason Bosch had to put the 'puddle' light on their top control machines. You don't have a display so they had to put the light shining on the ground to let you know it's running.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Several people have mentioned no heat dry. Is this a big deal?

In all the years that I have had dishwashers, probably forty years or more, I have always used the "no heat" dry setting. When the washer cycle is finished I just open the door and let the dishes finish air-drying. Have I been doing it wrong?

Yeah that's exactly how I do it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Several people have mentioned no heat dry. Is this a big deal?

In all the years that I have had dishwashers, probably forty years or more, I have always used the "no heat" dry setting. When the washer cycle is finished I just open the door and let the dishes finish air-drying. Have I been doing it wrong?

The Bosch uses heat, just not an element in the bottom after the wash cycle like a conventional dishwasher. As water is drawn through one of the pumps, it goes through a tube that heats the water to 161 F. So, the glasses, dishes, and pans get pretty hot. After the wash cycle, the moisture on the hot dishes evaporates then condenses on the relatively cooler stainless walls. This process doesn't work very well on any plastic, silicone or rubber items, so they don't dry as well.

As for air drying, so long as the water in your dishwasher gets hot enough while washing, air drying is fine as long as they are, in fact, completely dry when you put them away.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We bought the Bosch 7 years ago when we built this house. Everything said above is true. Its been great for us, and if it died tomorrow, we'd just get another. I was a little concerned with our mix and match selections, but no one vendor seemed to have each appliance that was even good. So we bought what she wanted.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I checked out consumer reports and out of the 11 highest ranking reccomended dishwashers, 9 were Kitchen Aid.

Two Bosch, but were variations of the asme model, the Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7[5]UC. Score of 81 (max was 85).

Most Bosch score well around 80.

According to the reviews the 300 series are nosiy and some of them dont dry well.

I can send you the buying guide or more info on specific Bosch models from CR if you email me.

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
As to the smell: Bosch has a "Rinse and Hold" cycle. Use it.

They DO stink when you do not use this feature.
Also They are smaller interiors than others so capacity is something to consider.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post