SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is Death?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Death? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
This is asked in all seriousness for I have played more years on this earth than I will experience again; but in death, many experiences are yet unknown.

So for you, what is Death?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
The repatriation of the soul with the Creator.

To that, with Crist Jesus.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mate (69 y/o) had a massive heart attack 30 minutes after we pulled into the dock last night in key west. He had no pulse, no breathing, his eyes and mouth were wide open and his skin turned dark/grey in a minutes time. He was dead.

911 was called immediately by the dockmaster who was talking to him. I performed chest compressions for almost 10 minutes until the crew from another yacht brought and hooked up an AED, we shocked him once, no pulse, continued chest compressions and a minute or so later his eyes started moving, he started breathing, and he had a pulse, just as paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital.

I went to the hospital and brought his bag with his personal belongings after notifying family. The pilot and air nurse were there along with 2 nurses and they were about to load him in the helicopter in a few minutes. The nurse asked what happened, because he didn't remember anything. I told the story above to her, after that. Fred who is a real jokester says to me "Why did you have to wake me up? It was so peaceful. My chest hurts like a motherF'er from you beating on it. Then he laughed and said thank you to me several times. He had another cardiac event later last night, they rushed him into surgery and put a stent in his left artery that was completely blocked.....he is sedated and recovering but they say he has a blockage somewhere else. I can only pray for him.

This is someone who has done 120,000+ miles on the ocean with me over the past 11 years and someone that is close to me. I did a cpr refresher a year ago, but it is incredibly different actually doing it on a human and you remember very little of what you're actually doing as there is so much adrenaline flowing. I thought I was doing chest compressions for 30-60 seconds and everyone at the marina said 10 minutes. I just hope he's alright. But I really believe he was in another place and we brought him back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Why, are you asking this of the membership? Why are you doing it in this area?

What is going on?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Seems more like a question for the Lounge area, but I’ll play.

What is death? Inevitable.

I see no point in putting much effort into discussing it because we will all know the answer; just have a little patience.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Why, are you asking this of the membership? Why are you doing it in this area?

What is going on?

Arc,

My apologies.... it was meant for the lounge.

To answer the first question, reality dictates I will not see more sunrises than I already have no matter how safely I live. Because of this reality, i ask those whom i trust for an honest answer - what is Death?

For your final question; the answer is, nothing but that which I must face. Reality

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
OK, well, when you post this in there, makes one wonder if you're taste testing shotguns. Out here less so.

What is Death?

It is an end, beyond that no one knows. Those who claim to know, can't provide evidence of what lies beyond.

My own opinion, is that nothing does, so we all best make the most of our time here.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following was written by Gordon B Hinckley. He had just left the funeral for a childhood friend

What is this thing called death
This quiet passing in the night?
Tis not the end but genesis
of better worlds and greater light.

O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.

There is no death, but only change,
With recompense for vict’ry won.
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, the Holy One.

I think my life has been a gift. I have faith that I will continue after death, we'll see!

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
First please don’t go with the 12 gauge mouthwash.

Second....

It’s pretty much the human condition. 100% of folks have taken the dirt nap. I, personally, am torn.

On one side I am pretty spiritual/Christian in my beliefs so I hope it is a release from all the BS life offers and a reunion with all those lost before.

On the other I wonder how different it is from a deep sleep or from before you were born. Think about the year before you existed......probably not that different then the year after you exist.

I will say, at least in my case, one goes from bring it!!!!! To what’s it all mean.....to what will not existing be like......to......maybe not existing isn’t the worst thing ever.

Point is nobody knows and frankly it’s one of two outcomes.
1-you end up in your holy place with virgins or loved ones or cases of good bourbon etc. or
You go to sleep.....like you always do.....you just don’t wake up.

I, however am Catholic and I am far from a great
Person so ......... pergatory for me......which I am pretty sure will be etern Catholic grade school. Not quite hell.....but not quite not. Smile

I have been told anesthetic is basically clinical death almost. I have been there and done that and I felt NOTHING although I was told they had to up the dose as I kept fighting to wake up.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
My mate (69 y/o) had a massive heart attack 30 minutes after we pulled into the dock last night in key west. He had no pulse, no breathing, his eyes and mouth were wide open and his skin turned dark/grey in a minutes time. He was dead.

911 was called immediately by the dockmaster who was talking to him. I performed chest compressions for almost 10 minutes until the crew from another yacht brought and hooked up an AED, we shocked him once, no pulse, continued chest compressions and a minute or so later his eyes started moving, he started breathing, and he had a pulse, just as paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital.

I went to the hospital and brought his bag with his personal belongings after notifying family. The pilot and air nurse were there along with 2 nurses and they were about to load him in the helicopter in a few minutes. The nurse asked what happened, because he didn't remember anything. I told the story above to her, after that. Fred who is a real jokester says to me "Why did you have to wake me up? It was so peaceful. My chest hurts like a motherF'er from you beating on it. Then he laughed and said thank you to me several times. He had another cardiac event later last night, they rushed him into surgery and put a stent in his left artery that was completely blocked.....he is sedated and recovering but they say he has a blockage somewhere else. I can only pray for him.

This is someone who has done 120,000+ miles on the ocean with me over the past 11 years and someone that is close to me. I did a cpr refresher a year ago, but it is incredibly different actually doing it on a human and you remember very little of what you're actually doing as there is so much adrenaline flowing. I thought I was doing chest compressions for 30-60 seconds and everyone at the marina said 10 minutes. I just hope he's alright. But I really believe he was in another place and we brought him back.

OMG Jimmy, please wish Fred the best. Cheryl and I enjoyed the short time we spent with you and Fred when you were in Chicago. We both thought Fred was a GREAT, VERY interesting guy.
We will pray for his fast, complete recovery.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I, however am Catholic and I am far from a great
Person so ......... pergatory for me......which I am pretty sure will be etern Catholic grade school. Not quite hell.....but not quite not. Smile

See you there! I show up for confession and hear, "Again?!?". Sorry Father. Frown

quote:
I have been told anesthetic is basically clinical death almost.

Nope. Clinical sleep? Yes. Death? Nope...unless we do something wrong. Wink

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple experiences with people who were very close to death and who did in fact die very shortly after.

My Grandmother who was 90, was unavailable when I tried to contact her. She was still living in her home, I would check on her daily to make sure she was ok. When I could not reach her my wife and I came to her home to check on her. I found her fallen in the bath room, she was probably there for over a day. When I saw her I yelled her name, she weakly responded, she then, in a clear coherent voice asked me about the music.I said what music, she asked if I had been playing music, she described it as the most beautiful music she had ever heard. The paramedics came and took her to the hospital, she died the next day.I'm convinced she heard music from someplace other than this Earth.

My Father who was suffering from dementia and was living with my wife and I. He was a life long (92 years) Cubs fan. The night they clinched the NL title he asked to go to bed.
He was fine. I brought him into his bedroom to get him ready for bed. He suddenly said to me to turn the light off, he was dying, he again asked sternly for the room light to be turned off. I replied that he was fine and I needed the light on to prepare him for bed. He then, without a sound went totally limp , he was gone just like that.
I'm convinced that something called to him.
For several days before his death he would ask me who those people were sitting in the living room by the fire place, he would ask if those were his mom and dad.Maybe they were.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Death is the same thing you did (not) experience before you were born.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
The repatriation of the soul with the Creator.

To that, with Crist Jesus.

+1

For the unbeliever, eternal separation from God, which is something that no living human soul has otherwise experienced.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cessation of all human cellular activity in my body. Of course, the bacteria will continue to live and go to work recycling the elements that composed my body.

If I have an "eternity" it will be through those still living that have been influenced by my brief presence.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
there's stairs, or an escalator if you're lucky. or a trap door that opens to a scalding realm, or elevator only going down. while you enjoyed color in life, the other world(s) (either) is(are) [in] black & white.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
interesting philosophical discussion

I think that after you die, there is just nothing

the same as before you were born

the spark of life is your brain and nervous system

I don't believe in heaven or hell - I believe those are simply human-generated constructs that were created to fill a void in knowledge or make someone feel better at any given time

Jimmy - nice job on the CPR. I have done that as well. I was a volunteer fireman in my town of Bedford, Nova Scotia and responded to a call early one evening. The victim was a local doctor, well known in the community by the name of Paul LeBrun. We got to the home, he was on the floor and his son - also a doctor was there and told us he was dead, nothing we could do. He then offered us an opportunity to do CPR for real from the home into the hospital. It is very different doing it on a person - the cheeks are slack, the chest is not like the dummy. But the feedback that we got from the ME a few weeks later was that we had done it right. We circulated and oxygenated, we didn't break any ribs, we didn't break off the Zyphoid.

That was a difficult evening for all, but I learned that I could do CPR and if the 1% chance that it works, I know its better than a 0% chance.

Jimmy - you did great.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Physically? = The end of your corporeal existence and depending upon your faith & acceptance of a Christ, the beginning of your life.

The universe wastes nothing...

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
........ The victim was a local doctor, well known in the community by the name of Paul LeBrun. We got to the home, he was on the floor and his son - also a doctor was there and told us he was dead, nothing we could do. He then offered us an opportunity to do CPR for real from the home into the hospital. It is very different doing it on a person - the cheeks are slack, the chest is not like the dummy. But the feedback that we got from the ME a few weeks later was that we had done it right. We circulated and oxygenated, we didn't break any ribs, we didn't break off the Zyphoid.

That was a difficult evening for all, but I learned that I could do CPR and if the 1% chance that it works, I know its better than a 0% chance.

Jimmy - you did great.

I too brought someone back. It was only months after taking CPR class I couldn't remember how many compressions vs breaths even though I just took the class. It's a very strange feeling manipulating and moving a dead body. Nothing like the dummy. People weigh a lot more when dead, if that's possible.

I prefer to never do that again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look at death as an exclamation mark.

anytime anything comes to an end there will be X amount of people that will embrace those times and experiance's prior to the end.

another X amount of people will make a note of the time of "the end"

and millions of people that will never realize the effect that the person or thing had on them or others.

Some think death is some sort of exchange,
as if one might relocate from one position to another in a corporation.

I know not what they base this on,
For me its just a discontinuation, like an exclamation point .

Don't get me wrong ,
what one has contributed for all those years of life can still be enriching the lives of those he /she chose to touch.

I know a half dozen people that are long gone , but still , each and every day , have a positive ( or negative) effect on many people .

Ii acknowledge those that impact me on a regular basis, the energy that they shared with me still , very much, lives on .

while you are upright just remember
"we make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give'.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post