SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    flying southwest ths week, do i need a CV19 test ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flying southwest ths week, do i need a CV19 test ?? Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
I am getting mixed signals about this, flying out of love field dallas, going to wash DC (ugg LOL)
, any tips for travelling right now, FYI i have no choice in this, i have to fly for work

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I recently flew, to Atlanta, Seattle and Fairbanks.

Fairbanks would not let us out of the airport without a test... $250 each.

Flew back, Seattle, Detroit, Dulles... no tests at all. Not even temperature screening.

Best I can tell you, you will have to answer some questions, they may take your temperature, and if they make you test, insurance will reimburse if you get receipts.

Every airport was different, and changed.

I honestly felt air travel was very safe. We flew Delta, and they were awesome.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I flew from BWI to Fort Lauderdale and back on Southwest last week, and nothing was said about Covid by ether the airline on TSA. I think when I printed out my boarding pass I had to agree that I wasn't sick.

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flew out of Luv yesterday. Basically normal except the whole mask thing. No line at TSA, most food outlets open. For a while they were doing temp screening for both passengers and employees, but they stopped a few weeks ago.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanksfellas

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I flew a few weeks ago. No tests were required for us and no temps taken. United Airlines packs you in like a bunch of sardines. You’ll be required to wear a mask without the vent valve. Some airlines don’t serve snacks, some do. I was very impressed with Delta.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve been flying weekly since June. Usually 4 flights a week, sometimes more and to over a dozen states. I’m at MSP right now in fact.

All of my flights have been on Delta or SouthWest and I’ve not had to take a single test. Airlines and airports require masks unless you are eating or drinking. They’ll be militant about it so don’t think you can stick a bottle of water in the seatback pocket and take you mask off. Delta gives you 2 warnings I think, then on the third you are banned from flying Delta. Also you’ll not get away with one of those masks with holes in it. Some airlines don’t allow gaiters or any masks with vents on them. I use a simple cloth mask that resembles a typical medical mask and ive been fine. As far as I know all airlines have masks for you to use if yours doesn’t meet guidelines. SW offered them when I’ve flown that airline.

I don’t think SW gave us any snacks, but it was a short flight. Delta usually gives a bag with cookies, chips and a water. They also give you a sanitizing wipe when you board to wipe your seat down, and a single use hand sanitizer in the snack bag. I have a nice collection of both at home.

Airports and airplanes are filling back up but traffic is still way less than it was a year ago. Delta is still blocking middle seats which is awesome. SW was when I flew them but it’s been a few months since I have so I’m not sure about today. A lot of flights I’m on now are “sold out” keeping in mind that sold out now means not selling middle seats.

Even though airports aren’t as busy I still arrive 1.5-2 hours in advance. It’s usually unnecessary to arrive that early but I still encounter lines to check in bags and get through security. Staff has been it back based on traffic flow.

Boarding is a bi different. SW just asked us to not line up like we used to, but we still boarded by number. Delta boards back to front instead of by zone like they used too. But First Class, comfort plus, military members, people who need extra assistance and certain medallion status members still board early.

All in all it’s not that much different than flying a year ago. You’ll need a mask, boarding will be a bit different and you won’t get the same snack options on the plane but other than that it’s all the same.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fairbanks fucked you. No covid test necessary. Just bring a mask and eat your pretzels slowly.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This is why I won’t be flying any time soon. The mismatch of rules in individual empires of dirt.

I have a class in Florida next month that I’ll be driving to.

I won’t shed a tear when/if places with militant mask restrictions go under. They brought it on themselves.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alaska has a health order covering this - and it specifies the $250 test if you haven't had a specific test prior to the travel.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/wp-...nterstate-Travel.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
Fairbanks would not let us out of the airport without a test... $250 each.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Pale Horse's experiences are the same as mine, although I've been flying American and they pack you in.

I've gotten away with not masking in the airports. Almost everyone does wear a mask. Some wear it under their nose. Once you are actually boarding, though, it gets strict. The consequence is they can ban you for life from flying with them if you fail to comply.

Your destination may have stricter requirements than the airlines (see Fairbanks example above). A while back, they were making people boarding a plane to NY fill out forms.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
To add to my already lengthy post I realized there more to traveling than just flying.

Rental cars are basically the exact same as before. They probably clean them a little better but I’ve found no difference in the rental procedures. I’ve rented with National and Avis.

I typically stay in Marriott or Hilton properties, typically Hampton or Homewood with Hilton and Residence Inn or Courtyard with Marriott. They claim they deep clean the rooms but I’ve found hairs in the shower and other indicators that make me question that.

Most hotels have suspended maid service during your stay unless you request it. Personally I don’t like maids in my room anyway so I love it, but a lot of people don’t. So if you need fresh towels and a made bed you’ll need to request that.

Meal offering vary by hotel, city and state. I wouldn’t count on a breakfast, though most places have started offering at least something. The days of going and making your own waffle and getting your own juice are behind us. Some places still have a hot breakfast but every place I’ve been it’s a premade sandwich or burrito or something and it’s given to you by an employee. The happy hours and afternoon meals seem to be pretty much all gone. Like I said it varies by hotel but I’ve not seen one since Covid. Plan on getting all your own meals.

Eating out is fantastic for me. I e always hated eating out alone so I’ve always preferred take out. Now almost every restaurant, even locally owned ones, offer take out and curbside service. I have eaten in a few times and most restaurants seem to be cleaning the tables with extra care and blocking off seats so that you have done space. They only thing to consider is that a lot of places have changed their hours. While that’s getting back to normal, it’s something to consider if you are working second or third shift and might plan on eating at strange hours. You can’t count on places that are usually 24 hours to be open all night now.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
And Quantas will require proof of a vaccine. Others likely to follow.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55048438

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on the road all the time, domestically and internationally. I haven't had to take the tests due to airline requirements, including in alaska. I'm there regularly, just flew out a day and a half ago. No test. That said, a lot of our guys did get shoehorned into testing, even in uniform, but so far only there. Many places, we're quarantined, without a test.

American packs flights. Delta sent my luggage to another city yesterday. Got it after 33 hours of travel from Anchorage, at two this morning.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Aside from traveling internationally, I have not heard of Covid tests being required to fly.

I know American and SW have both gone to filling the middle seat.

You will need to wear a mask, on pain of being banned for life from flying that airline again. I don't know how they are getting away with this, because I know the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) says you HAVE to make accommodations for those with disabilities, and also says you can't even ask what the disability is. For example neither my Mom nor my MIL could make an entire flight with a mask on impairing their breathing. Almost makes me want to book a flight for one of them to find out what the courts (or the flying public) would have to say.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Aside from traveling internationally, I have not heard of Covid tests being required to fly.

I know American and SW have both gone to filling the middle seat.

You will need to wear a mask, on pain of being banned for life from flying that airline again. I don't know how they are getting away with this, because I know the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) says you HAVE to make accommodations for those with disabilities, and also says you can't even ask what the disability is. For example neither my Mom nor my MIL could make an entire flight with a mask on impairing their breathing. Almost makes me want to book a flight for one of them to find out what the courts (or the flying public) would have to say.

This isn’t a hill worth dying on, esp since a vaccine(s) is imminent. When masks were first required there was an exception for “medical” reasons, and of course it was a given that asking for proof of said medical condition was no bueno therefore anyone could claim it. Needless to say that exception disappeared rather quickly, and if you read the airlines’ COVID policies they state if you can’t wear a mask for any reason you may not fly.

While I certainly understand your frustration re people who just can’t safely wear a mask the fact is the ADA does not address that scenario, and at the end of the day it’s pretty hard to argue that air travel is a civil right that needs gov protection.

It’s hard to gauge how the public at large feels about mask policies, but based on customer response and the fact that the airlines are enforcing them with an iron fist tells me they have heavy support. I don’t like it myself, but I understand it.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Wtf? Whoa. I’ve flown twice internationally, both this summer and fall, no different experience than Pale Horse - really a nonissue other than no inflight service and wearing the mask.. but forcing people to take a vaccine if they want to fly??

I can’t believe that’s going to become mandatory. I could possibly see testing for antibodies to confirm you’re equipped to deal with the virus, but if vaccination becomes mandatory, it is going to go down poorly with many.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

There is no "U" in Qantas.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

Wtf? Whoa. I’ve flown twice internationally, both this summer and fall, no different experience than Pale Horse - really a nonissue other than no inflight service and wearing the mask.. but forcing people to take a vaccine if they want to fly??

I can’t believe that’s going to become mandatory. I could possibly see testing for antibodies to confirm you’re equipped to deal with the virus, but if vaccination becomes mandatory, it is going to go down poorly with many.

Qantas has already announced that the requirementt will likely be in place next year. United just debuted a trip requiring screening prior to the flight, and one passenger was removed due to a positive test. A number of airports now have screening in the terminal, and many countries and locations are asking for proof of a test within 72 hours of travel, with additional quarantine restrictions.

Those who do not wish to comply are free to find other travel choices.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Likely? So not an actuality yet. I think it might be disputed. If simple little me thinks, hmm, that seems very prejudiced, well, I wonder what the courts will think? It sounds like a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen. Perhaps I’d feel differently if I were on a 20 hour flight and someone was hacking up a storm behind me.
I sure hope they have their ducks in a row, because god forbid airline personnel screws up the screening test.
I’ve been flying American and Delta, and haven’t felt any more concerned than anywhere else (grocery store, etc). They’ve done a great job of managing their passengers and maintaining protocol without prying further into people’s business or health concerns.
Maybe it’ll open a new opportunity for another airline.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post