SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Father and Son, Shoot and Kill Neighbor Over Trash Dispute
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father and Son, Shoot and Kill Neighbor Over Trash Dispute Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted
Warning: Video of man being shot and killed.

I don't have an opinion on this one way or another (justified self-defense or murder/manslaughter). The critical moment is not on video. The (dead) guy was "over the top" angry. Had I been there, I would have felt threatened. That said, I don't think this needed to happen. Both sides should have backed down, and both sides were verbally adding fuel to the fire.

On a slightly different note: Some people are just pieces of s***. The dead guy's Facebook page is still open and everyone is posting their opinion or just disrespectful s*** there. He had a couple kids.

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/kristopher.robinson2/

Source: TTAG - Father and Son, Both Armed, Shoot and Kill Neighbor Over Trash Dispute

In this extremely disturbing video out of Abilene, Texas, a heated dispute over the disposal of a mattress leads to gunfire. The shooters, Johnnie and Michael Miller, have both been charged with the first-degree murder of the third man in the video, Aaron Howard. Howard apparently had a baseball bat (not obvious in the video) but was otherwise unarmed.

The person recording the video is Howard’s fiance, Kara Box. Threats were exchanged on both sides before John Miller fired his handgun. His son then followed up with a shotgun blast.

When District Attorney Jim Hicks saw the footage, he said: “Video evidence like this is always graphic and very difficult to watch. But, it is consistent with the charges.”

Both Miller men are currently out of jail on a $25,000 bond.

“You [the Millers] deserve to spend your lives in prison,” said Ms. Box. By the looks of it, there’s a good chance of that.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Trash on both sides. But, to threaten them, who were armed, with "I'm gonna kill you", when you're empty-handed... Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eloquent exchange between the bottom one percent of the gene pool. Hmmmm.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Supposedly this started when the dead guy put a mattress in the dumpster in the alley. The older shooter took the mattress out and put it in the dead guy's backyard.

To give a little context to the above, if I remember correctly Abilene handles their trash like Midland, TX. I used to live in Midland and the neighborhoods were constructed with an alley and detached garages opening to the alley. Additionally, the trash service is provided to all in the city by putting dumpsters in the aforementioned alleys. The dumpsters are common use for people whose properties back up to the alley. One benefit to this system is nobody is going to businesses to illegally dump trash in their dumpsters to avoid paying for trash service and another benefit is everybody has trash service so there is no excuse for dirt asses to store their trash (which attracts rodents which attract rattlesnakes) instead of disposing of it.

In Texas, you cannot initiate a confrontation then claim self-defense when you shoot someone. I think that is the legal principal the prosecutor is using for charging the father and son.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Any info on what started the dick measuring contest?

One trying to dump a mattress in the others trash???

*edited to add**

Thanks for the context tatortodd, it does beg the question though that if it is communal no-cost trash service what did it matter to the shirtless duo? Why were they self-appointed arbiters of mattress disposal?

Not saying it’s right, but seems dead homie shouldn’t have been puffing up making threats to kill folks to impress his videographer girlfriend.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Howard apparently had a baseball bat (not obvious in the video) but was otherwise unarmed.

I haven’t watched the video, but I can’t get past this sentence.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
Howard apparently had a baseball bat (not obvious in the video) but was otherwise unarmed.

If he had a baseball bat, he was armed with a deadly weapon, and depending on how he attempted to use it, it was a deadly threat justifying deadly force to defend against, and especially with his own verbal threats to kill.

I don’t know any of that just based on the video, of course, but I’m always surprised by the people who continue any sort of altercation with someone visibly armed with a gun. I have seen some amazing bravado in situations that could have turned out just like this one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Trash on both sides. But, to threaten them, who were armed, with "I'm gonna kill you", when you're empty-handed... Roll Eyes

The news story linked in the OP says he had a baseball bat which of course is never seen on video (yet). After the dad fires and as the son is racking and aiming the shotgun you can see the dad off to the side ducking away. Now is that because he knows the son is about to fire or is it because the dead guy was coming at him/them with the bat?

Even though I live here (TX) I had to google it and we don't have 1st degree murder, we have capital murder which may be a distinction without a difference but I would expect a Law Enforcement official or DA to use the correct terminology. As stupid as these chuckleheads were I think calling this premeditated is a bit of a stretch especially if there was indeed a bat involved. Maybe they're just throwing the book at them now and expecting a plea or amend the charges later.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Even Ike Clanton was smart enough to know when a man holding a gun was bluffing or not. None too bright that one.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I think some people simply can not conceive that they might get shot.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even Ike Clanton was smart enough to know when a man holding a gun was bluffing or not. None too bright that one.

Thanks. That brought a good laugh.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
White trash, black trash.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell if the father was justified, but the son with the shotgun can just be sent to prison as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Hard to tell if the father was justified, but the son with the shotgun can just be sent to prison as far as I'm concerned.

Even if the dead guy threw a bat at dad and was charging him?

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The father with the pistol stated "you come within three feet of me, I am going to shoot you." If the bat wielder came within 3', swinging or attempting to swing, would that not be self defense on the part of the shooter?

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
One simply doesn’t put one’s mattress in the dumpster in Abilene. Terrible gaffe.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The father with the pistol stated "you come within three feet of me, I am going to shoot you." If the bat wielder came within 3', swinging or attempting to swing, would that not be self defense on the part of the shooter?
As I previously posted, in Texas you cannot initiate a confrontation then claim self-defense. The Dad initiated the confrontation when the Dad took the dead guy's mattress out of the community dumpster and put it in the dead guy's yard.

They don't appear (pure speculation based on their appearance and limited vocabulary) to have the $100k for a real attorney so they'll be betting their freedom on a public defender successfully convincing a jury self-defense and Stand your ground applied in a situation the Dad
initiated.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

Yes. As I previously posted, in Texas you cannot initiate a confrontation then claim self-defense. They initiated the confrontation when they took the dead guy's mattress out of the community dumpster and put it in the dead guy's yard.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification - so both would be liable, not just the son as CSM was saying?

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have been following this a bit

there's a lot more out there

orange shirt guy (OSG) is a big KNOWN hot-head - lots of run-ins with the law going back years basically a total loose canon

lots of idiocy to go around - but I don't see a real hard effort by the local DA to go after these guys - I think their bail was like $25k

hate to see a human killed over something so trivial but play stupid games...

and the woman was classic - egging her man on 'you WILL NOT shoot my husband !!!' bang bang bang yeah about that....

we had a thread on that about a week ago

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Must be a really poor neighborhood. Those guys can't even afford shirts.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post