SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Magnetic North on the move!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnetic North on the move! Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
Better make the adjustments when using your compass. Apparently magnetic north is pretty much right over the North Pole right now.

According to the article, it's moving at 55km/yr!

Linky

**** Article****

Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move, fast. And we don’t know why

Earth’s magnetic field is what allows us to exist. It deflects harmful radiation. It keeps our water and atmosphere in place. But now it’s acting up — and nobody knows why.
Jamie Seidel
News Corp Australia NetworkJanuary 11, 20199:41am

World leaders have been warned that civilisation could collapse

Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood — rivers of molten iron — pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras — and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia.

“The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move,” Nature reports.
Graphic via Science Journal Nature

Graphic via Science Journal NatureSource:Supplied

On January 30 (delayed due to the US Government shutdown), the World Magnetic Model — which governs modern navigation systems — is due to undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps.

The current model was expected to be valid until 2020. But the magnetic pole began to shift so quickly, it was realised in 2018 that the model had to be fixed — now.

“They realised that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable (safe) limit for navigational errors,” Nature reports.

FICKLE TIDES

Every year, geophysicists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the British Geological Survey do a check on how the Earth’s magnetic field is varying.

This is necessary as the liquid iron churning in the Earth’s core does not move in a consistent manner.

“In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean,” Nature reports.

This shift was captured by satellites.
Earth has lines of magnetic force looping from North Pole to South Pole, creating Earth's protective magnetosphere. The straight line coming out of the North and South Poles represents Earth's axis of rotation.

Earth has lines of magnetic force looping from North Pole to South Pole, creating Earth's protective magnetosphere. The straight line coming out of the North and South Poles represents Earth's axis of rotation.Source:Supplied

RELATED: Something weird’s happening deep beneath the South Atlantic

But the movement of the north magnetic pole has been the object of study since 1831. Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed.

It’s now shifting at a rate of about 55km a year.

But another recent study has revealed the Earth’s magnetic field has been acting up now for some 1000 years.

CORE OF THE MATTER

Why the magnetic field is shifting so dramatically is unknown.

“Geomagnetic pulses, like the one that happened in 2016, might be traced back to ‘hydromagnetic’ waves arising from deep in the core,” Nature reports. “And the fast motion of the north magnetic pole could be linked to a high-speed jet of liquid iron beneath Canada”.

This fast-flowing molten river appears to be weakening the magnetic influence of the iron core beneath North America.

EXPLORE MORE: How humanity survived a supervolcano

“The location of the north magnetic pole appears to be governed by two large-scale patches of magnetic field, one beneath Canada and one beneath Siberia,” Phil Livermore of the University of Leeds told an American Geophysical Union meeting. “The Siberian patch is winning the competition.”

And, as global warming opens up more shipping lanes to the north of Russia and Canada, this presents a potentially deadly problem.

“The fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,” says Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and NOAA.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I've seen this before. :0

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NNgGho66KY4

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I can hear the mentally stunted now:

The globe is warming so rapidly that the whole planets interior is melting.

More proof that the planet is a dynamic system on many levels and thinking that man is the sole agent of change is arrogance in the extreme.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
But another recent study has revealed the Earth’s magnetic field has been acting up now for some 1000 years.

I'm freaking out. It's moving back towards the North Pole. Oh the humanity.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have a flat earth compass, so...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yea, well, they'll really be upset when we have a complete magnetic reversal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
I've seen this before. :0

Man, that movie was so good. Didn't it win a few Oscars?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
Global warning outcry is dying down and they need something new. Okay. So lets build a bigger magnetic of the opposite attraction to help push it back to Canada.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the poles shift we will be in deep doodoo.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have a flat earth compass, so...

Damn SIGmonkey! I laughed so loud just now, people outside of my bus was looking at me!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Yea, well, they'll really be upset when we have a complete magnetic reversal.

That article seems to indicate the reversals are random, but other authorities believe the reversal is overdue.
And the current movement of the magnetic pole is a simple fact, not someone’s opinion.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:

What will the strippers do?

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

Reverse their routine start naked and slowly get dressed Cool

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
ok, lets all calm down a bit

time to buy some white paint and start re-numbering all the runways...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
How the hell did they manage to squeeze global warming in this article? I must be dumb. What deadly problem does more shipping lanes cause? They didn’t explain it so I must be an idiot for not getting it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
quote:
quote:

Reverse their routine start naked and slowly get dressed Cool

Thats funny

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frayed - the problem has to do with compass inaccuries - the shipping north of Canada is rather close to the pole (relatively speaking). If the magnetic pole moves they can’t tell, by compass, where they are. If the magnetic field around the world shifts, the satellites that sense that field get thrown off too.

Kind of like sailing off shore and using a lighthouse as a reference, but someone keeps moving the lighthouse -

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Here's another question. Putting all the pieces from this thread together: The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the swirling hot mass of the outer core. If it stops swirling then the magnetic field collapses and we have TEOTWAWKI. But if the poles are going to flip, that must mean that the core isn't stopping, but rather reversing it's swirl direction. If that happens, will the Earth stop rotating and then reverse direction (ala Superman)? And if that happens, will the contents of my toilet spray outward instead of going down when I flush it?

Inquiring (and scared) minds want to know! Wink

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Frayed - the problem has to do with compass inaccuries - the shipping north of Canada is rather close to the pole (relatively speaking). If the magnetic pole moves they can’t tell, by compass, where they are. If the magnetic field around the world shifts, the satellites that sense that field get thrown off too.

Kind of like sailing off shore and using a lighthouse as a reference, but someone keeps moving the lighthouse -

Surely there must be some technology to overcome this. Like GPS or something.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia.

It's the Russians. First they steal the election from Hillary so Trump wins. Then they steal the North Pole. You can't trust them.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post