SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Civil unrest in Hongkong
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civil unrest in Hongkong Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
This little clip from just across the border might be the beginning of something terrible happening on the streets of this former British colony -

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=udHke_1565656998

The world looked on in horror at the crackdown in Tienanmen Square - we can only hope that sense and decency will prevail here...

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would get the heck out of there.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Is it Hongkong or Hong Kong?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
China using language like “asking for self destruction” in reference to protesters does not bode well for Hong Kong.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I was run out of Tiananmen Square by the Chinese Army in 2004 for a State visit by the President of Albania. They made sure all of us saw what force they had in store for us, if trouble broke out. Chinese college age students often speak English, and a couple of them near by me asked if I was alone. When I said, "Yes," they replied, "You are brave," and immediately disappeared into the crowd. Definitely a chilling experience.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities. It's an incredible place.

Unless one has been there, it's nearly impossible to understand how densely populated it is; one of the most densely populated places in the world. This kind of unrest can't be tolerated for long, and it's a wonder that the Chinese haven't stepped in already to quell the uprisings. Whatever the protestors think they may accomplish will pale in comparison to what is likely to happen when the Chinese government puts its foot down. The Special Administrative Region is a very thin line between Kowloon and Beijing. I would not want to be there when it happens.

I was there recently, and didn't stay long. I didn't go into town, but stayed at the airport. I have been in too many places when unrest and rioting is taking place. I was in Bahrain a few years back when the Saudi's crossed the causway and entered with tanks during the unrest, and was in a hotel by the British embassy there when it got car bombed.

The Chinese won't have any qualms about projecting whatever force is necessary. If the SAR falls, it won't go back to being a special economic zone again. A real shame, and a nightmare for those who live there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chinese won't have any qualms about projecting whatever force is necessary. If the SAR falls, it won't go back to being a special economic zone again. A real shame, and a nightmare for those who live there.

Yes. It's much easier to destroy than it is to create.

Special Administrative Region (SAR) (特別行政区)
Territories that fall within the sovereignty of the People's Republic of China, but do not form part of mainland China. The concepts of "special administrative regions" and "one country, two systems" were established by the Chinese government to re-integrate Hong Kong and Macao into China. As SARs, Hong Kong and Macao retain their capital systems and have a high degree of autonomy. However, the mainland government remains responsible for the defence and foreign affairs of both SARs, but each SAR is authorised to engage in external affairs and participate in international organisations, if so permitted by its terms. The mini-constitution for each SAR is found within their respective basic laws.

https://uk.practicallaw.thomso...irstPage=true&bhcp=1

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taiwan is watching.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Taiwan is watching.

^^^^^^^^^
While they can’t do anything, it will help quell reunification talk on the island. About 10 days ago the BBC had a story regarding a message from the PLA on Hong Kong. It was not very subtle.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The protestors have taken over the airport and stopped traffic. HKG lifeblood is shipping by sea and by air. They may have gone too far.

The irony is that the protests erupted around legislation establishing extradition of Hong Kong residents to the mainland for prosecution of certain crimes. The protests are about maintaining autonomy, which exists at the pleasure of the party, in Beijing.

By engaging in these protests to this extent, the protestors will bring about the very thing they're protesting against. It's a bit like demanding one's rights as a pedestrian by standing in traffic on the freeway. This won't be some a student yelling at armor and stopping it. Not this time.

There is a saying in China that one can easily be replaced by a million others. It's well to keep that in mind.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What, nobody anticipated this?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the contrary, I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Taiwan is watching.

^^^^^^^^^
While they can’t do anything, it will help quell reunification talk on the island. About 10 days ago the BBC had a story regarding a message from the PLA on Hong Kong. It was not very subtle.

I was recently talking to the executive officer of the German-Taiwanese Society chaired by my previous boss, who works out of the local Taiwanese non-embassy. She said the Hong Kong protests had at last brought some relief from the immense pressure China has been putting on their international relations since Tsai Ing-wen of the more pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party became president. I told her that cynically speaking, a Chinese crackdown in Hong Kong would probably be good for Taiwan's international stance, since it would clearly demonstrate Beijing's understanding of "one country, two systems" which they have been proposing for eventual reunification, too. Take Hong Kong, lose Taiwan.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This should be a warning/wake up call for the rest of the world. I spent a lot of time in Hong Kong over the years. I wanted to get back soon but this has me delaying it. China has never been our friend!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK will never be a democracy. At best the end game for these demonstrations are to ensure the rest of the 50 year transition vs. China trying to speed things up by eroding HK rights sooner rather than later.

If this keeps up, the PLA will probably come across soon. If so, they’ll do it at night. The airport will suddenly sport little green men. At that point, HK will be changed forever. Vancouver BC will see another Immigration surge.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most evil government in the world, on one can imagine what they can do to their citizens .
Mass murder, organ harvesting you name it.
All government officials have millions or even billions in US dollars secret asset oversea.
During the quarrel with old Soviet fucking Chinese communist party have 34 million of their people starve to death, not one official are held accountable.
Not a damn thing the so call free country in the world can or going to do anything about it. All the high tech stuff they have are either buying form the heartness big corporations or from stealing from the US.
I am afraid the US have created a uncontrollable monster, this is going to be a new Soviet union but more evil.
I have heartache when I saw all the young kids got beat the fuck out by the ccp army wearing the HK police uniform. Blood bath is on the way sigh, I still have relatives living there.
God bless those brave kids over there.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I'm currently in Buji, a suburb of Shenzhen. Was scheduled to fly back to Montana tomorrow from HKG, but am changing my flights to go from Shenzhen airport to Shanghai and then back to the US. It adds a day of travel, but at least I'll get home. I make this trip 3-4X a year; I can't imagine HKG departures being disrupted 2 days in a row. I'm in a news blackout here :-(

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I make this trip 3-4X a year; I can't imagine HKG departures being disrupted 2 days in a row. I'm in a news blackout here :-(

I hear the airport in HK is open now.

Flights Resume At Hong Kong Airport After 2 Days Of Chaos

Police warned protesters that illegal activities carried out at the airport could draw heavier penalties, including up to life imprisonment.

As flights resumed on Wednesday, airport workers scrambled to remove stains from the floors and graffiti from the walls. Airport staff started checking boarding passes and passports again at the entrance of the departures hall at 2 pm local time.

Timothy Wu, corporate communications assistant manager at the airport, told CNN that only the departures entrances would be monitored for now, only two of which (out of four) remain open.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...t-after-2-days-chaos

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
On the contrary, I'm surprised it's lasted this long.
Same here.

China could roll into HK tomorrow and there is absolutely dick the rest of the world is going do about it.

Oh, some harsh words and sanctions but that's it. We aren't going to war over HK. And China makes tons of our stuff, so it's not like we are going to stop doing business with them overnight. People like their smartphones and computers, and other cheap shit.

The people who live there are pretty much fucked - sure it might be 1 day, 5 years or a decade - but China is coming eventually.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am actually surprised at how lightly footed China has handled the whole situation period.

I mean we are not talking about a mellow, laid back, give them a place to burn/destroy kinda of government here. They are more run your ass over with a tank variety so frankly I am surprised.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post