SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electronics guys: JRC4558
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronics guys: JRC4558 Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I'm digging into a circuit that was designed by someone else and it uses a dual opamp (specifically the JRC4558) but strangely pins 5, 6 and 7 are not used. Supposedly, the JRC4558 has a desirable sound but why use only one side of a dual opamp? Is there no single opamp version of the JRC4558 or are the duals just cost effective? Maybe they had some laying around and used them in the circuit due to availability. The circuit is a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
It could be as simple as keeping the board layout and components standardized. Buying, designing in, and soldering in a different part has costs. If they used sockets, it means perhaps buying and stocking an 8 pin socket for just that one op amp, whereas if they used the dual op amp then they could use the same larger sockets they use for other parts.

Also, having a spare op amp might have been considered attractive for potential future changes to the circuit. It gives easy access if they want another buffer or a signal inverter.

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think 20pcs for $2 all over teh google probably has something to do with it.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm sure it wss either an availability or cost issue. Who knows what was happening in the market back in the 80s.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post