SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are men genetically predisposed to screw up every package they try to wrap?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are men genetically predisposed to screw up every package they try to wrap? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Or is it just me?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Or is it just me?

Just you.

But I worked in shipping products for a few businesses, so there was an expectation that the product not arrive looking like ass. Just takes a modicum of effort.

Hold the package tightly shut. If it’s a box you’re taping shut, compress the sides so that the edges of any seam you’re trying to tape shut are tightly pressed together and then tape with no slack.
If you can put a condom on, you can properly package any parcel for shipping. Christmas wrapping is only slightly more complicated. It just takes the proper amount of effort is all. Anything short of that is you excusing yourself... which I have done. Wink

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It takes a little effort, and it helps if you are willing to do it a few times to figure out some tricks, what type of corner/end wrap works best for you, etc. Of course, if you go with the standard “selective incompetence,” you can probably get your spouse to do it for you, and there is nothing wrong with that unless it is her present... Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Women will love a nice gift even if it’s wrapped in newspaper.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
It takes a little effort, and it helps if you are willing to do it a few times to figure out some tricks, what type of corner/end wrap works best for you, etc. Of course, if you go with the standard “selective incompetence,” you can probably get your spouse to do it for you, and there is nothing wrong with that unless it is her present... Smile

Yep - I was wrapping her presents.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I would speculate that you might be in a hurry when you attempt to wrap.

Back in high school the store at which I worked would sometimes pull some of us (Belks retail sales) off the floor to help wrap Christmas presents.

(I actually enjoyed it on occasion and it gave me a chance to bleed off some OCD). I probably would not have wanted to do it all day, I admit.

But P220 Smudge is right. Tight is the trick and take your time.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My gift wrapping looks like someone wadded up paper around something and went to taping. At least no ones opening them to peak! They could never replicate my work.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use Duct Tape. 100% man friendly. It may take multiple rolls, depending on the package size.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
Use Duct Tape. 100% man friendly. It may take multiple rolls, depending on the package size.
Oh man that tickled... Big Grin. I can wrap gifts like a professional. I even crease all the square edges. Everything comes out even and perfect.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I been seeing a TV commercial where a guy is looking into the camera while wrapping a gift. The F'n paper is barely around the package and hes laying the Scotch tape on in all manners, so long as it sticks. The way he snaps off that tape from the roll is hilarious... Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Or is it just me?
Go to the kitchen and fetch the Reynolds Wrap... Big Grin

The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
It's who we are, well most of us.. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm actually fairly good at wrapping gifts. Not something I get to do much of these days, though--no one to buy for.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use duct tape.

They got your gift, now make them work when they unwrap it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do use Duct Tape, keep a sharp knife around during opening time. It'll keep her from becoming too pissed off with you before she finds her new diamond necklace.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I can do it great if I want to... but hey... it's getting torn right off anyway, right?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My dad didn’t just wrap a present, he engineered the Christmas wrap, and he printed out the “to/from” tag like it was a White House invitation. One of THE most important roles of a father is to remind his son(s), over and over, that “any job worth doing, is worth doing right.”

My Christmas packages are likewise, perfection

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I'm ham fisted when it comes to wrapping gifts.
I am especially bad if the gift has an odd shape to it.

Oh well.
A little clear tape and some patches to cover torn areas after wrapping does the trick.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I can buy my wife a small present that comes in a little square box and by the time I’m done wrapping, you’d swear I wrapped a fully assembled kite. Needless to say, I take advantage of free in-store wrapping whenever possible.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school and college I worked for a independent pharmacy, they had a large gift section as well as a bunch of small appliances. During the holiday season we stayed were busy. I was often pulled to gift wrap due to my speed and the clean look of my wrapping, it’s not hard if you watch what you are doing.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post