SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road Bike Selected -- Thanks For Insights
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road Bike Selected -- Thanks For Insights Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You’re doing it for exercise? Ride what you already own.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
oo bad you can’t ride a 57 cm. I have an Eddy mostly Super Record to get rid of.

Emma Chizzit?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad you can’t ride a 57 cm. I have an Eddy mostly Super Record to get rid of.

A Merckx? That's my size!

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I much prefer Shimano over SRAM on road bikes, opposite for mountain bikes, but would go with the Ridley out of those listed. If you have the gift of time I’d stalk CL, you may have a local/state wide bike classified on FaceBook as well if you haven’t checked that as an option.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
You’re doing it for exercise? Ride what you already own.

Yup. Upgrade what you’ve got.

I ride a 1998 Specialized Alez Sport.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have already upgraded what I own, to the limit of 1991 compatible components. It's a fast machine, 22 pounds is very light for all steel bikes. It is more of a treasure than anything. I don't want to crash it, lose it, have it stolen while at lunch on a century, etc. I'm thinking I could handle the SRAM shifting difference, and get the Ridley Helium SL. I need a bike rack trailer hitch on the Lexus, and need to sell a P239 with holster to move hobby funds from one to the other! I also have an exquisite Win 70 that would be about the same cost as the Ridley, gathering dust in the safe.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
you need an endurance bike!!!! what model is the ridley?

I just bought a specialized Roubaix frame. if you are going to knock out a century you want some relaxed geometry at 56!!!

That's what I have. It's a great bike, although I don't get to ride as often as I once did.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colorado Cyclist carries quality equipment, at fair prices. I purchased an all titanium bike from them for a great price. It was their "house" brand.

I would look for one that has disc brakes, especially if you ended up buying a new one.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I love Cannondales, raced them for years, my only concern for you would be that you are a big guy. I would ride one first to see how you get along with them. I would recommend a Carbon fork if it doesn't come with one.

Treks are great bikes, and the Ultegra is a plus.

Whatever you get it will be a great step up. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To get into shape, the bike is almost completely irrelevant, so long as the components function correctly. Fit, is, however important, so get a bike that fits well. If you can do that yourself, fine, but otherwise go to a bike shop that offers fitting services. Do not get a triathalon bike.
Use the cheapest bike you can find that will fit and function adequately. Then, get a power meter and a head unit to track your fitness progress.
Power meters and head units are a whole 'nuther topic, but for the purposes of this thread I am jut advocating that a cheap bike will work as well as an expensive one, so save money there and spend the saved cash on a power meter.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If going Cannondale you likely will be better suited going with a Synapse as mentioned already. I love my Synapse carbon 105. Full carbon body and fork with the 105 group set. Very comfortable bike.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Too bad you can’t ride a 57 cm. I have an Eddy mostly Super Record to get rid of.

A Merckx? That's my size!

Indeed, a Merckx. Want to talk?

It’s here in my garage.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
4M, I ride the capital trail roughly once a week, not the full distance, usually parking at the Chickahominy bridge and doing 25 miles out toward Richmond for a 50-mike round trip. The trail is so nice, it’s worth the 30-40 min drive for me to get there from York county. I’m currently averaging 16.2-16.7 mph depending how I feel and weather/wind.

I’m riding a 2015 Motobecane Sprint CF(carbon fiber) I bought on bikesdirect.com, shipped to my door for only $1100. It’s a great ride, take a look at the website and email me if you’d like to meet at the trail sometime to look at it. I’m 5’11” and 200lbs and IIRC it’s a 58cm, maybe not your size but close enough for you to get an idea what is available online before you make buying decision. I’ve assembled 2 bikes from them, no need to pay a shop to do it if you decide to buy online.

- John

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Newer (within the last decade) bikes come in two geometries for their frames which are as follows:
1. endurance which equal more relaxed position designed for longer rides. Many of your mountain stages of the races are done using endurance geometry bikes.

2. race geometry which aren't as comfortable as endurance geometry bikes as they are designed to put you in a more aerodynamic position.

These two geometries are regular road bikes and not triathalon or time trial bikes.

If $1500.00 is the top of your budget go talk to your local bike stores about buying last year or the previous years model with a 105 groiupset as many people have traded in these bikes to buy this year (next year's) models.

Often the local bike shop will have what you are looking for either as a bike they took in on trade, or a bike that has been sitting on their floor since new.

Your other option which isn't a bad one is to convert your current bike into the newer technology. This would be done by stretching the frame where the rear tire goes to accept a 700R wheel and widening your front fork to accept the 700R wheel. they you would change bars, bar stem, and shifting drivetrain. This can be done within your budget.

Ridley makes a heck of a bike as does Trek and Cannondale.

I am 6'3" 360 pounds and ride an Orbea Orca in 60cm.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the interesting advice and insight.

The 1991 Schwinn Prologue has 700 x 23 wheels and tires, Shimano RSX STI levers, an extended 3TTT stem for wide double bend bars, properly fitted to me, a titanium railed saddle on top of an extended post. I push the Shimano biopace chainrings with Look or SPD pedals. The wheels are so strong that they have never been trued, in all these years. It's a great bike.

I'll spend some time this afternoon riding, and then peruse the sites you all have recommended to continue my learning.

ETA: Just rode 55 minutes at average speed of 16 mph on the machine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is head to a local bike shop and get something new (last year's model or this year's). It will have a warranty and you'll have support from the shop.

Trek has a credit card that allowed me to pay off my new Giant Defy Advanced 2 over time with no interest. The price was $400 over your budget, but included the proper fitting and I went back a couple of times to fine tune the fit. Could not get a better deal if I paid cash.

Just traveling all of those hours to go look at the used bikes you listed is extra time = money.

Just my opinion.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Endurance geometry all the way. I have a Fuji Robaix, and a Fuji Sportif. The Sportif is much more comfortable. The Robaix is aver so slightly faster.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Found a Trek Madone 5.5 in 64 cm frame size! Affordable, but two hours away. May look at it this weekend. Waiting on a car repair after our daughter's wedding.

-------

posted Hide Post
Wow! I sure don't see any compelling reason to switch from that bike. In fact, you will probably get a lot of street cred for having such a nice vintage bike. I do most of my training on a 1986 Look KG76, and have had French tourists come talk to me about it.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some sites to check out:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/marketplace/buy

https://www.ebay.com/usr/thepr...rksid=p2047675.l2559

2011 Madone 62CM with Dura Ace Di2

From the sounds of it, you've already proven that you're willing to ride, a modern carbon frame and decent components will be a serious upgrade.

Again, I think you're best bet is finding a LBS and looking at clearance models. They may have a 60cm on clearance, but if you need a 62+cm, you may have to pay retail.

Is there a Performance Bike near you?

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post