SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road Bike Selected -- Thanks For Insights
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road Bike Selected -- Thanks For Insights Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Trying to find a very nice road bike, new or used, for a 6'4" 192 pound gentleman of 56 years. Purpose is to train from 10 to 100 miles, regularly, to offset military-style bootcamp fitness program running, weights, etc. Need XL or 61 cm frame size.

Question:
Optimum choice---examples below are what the market has now. Some travel would be required as my region does not have many in this size. Two to four hour drives would be required.

Choices:
Used 2013 Ridley road bike with SRAM group (two hours)
Used 2013 Trek Madone 5.9 XL with Ultegra group (four hours)
Used 201x Fuji SST 3.0 time trial bike with Shimano 105 group (two hours)
New Cannondale CAAD 12 with 105 group (local)
1991 Schwinn Prologue -- 22 pounds of steel (what I own)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Price range?

I have a 61 cm Kestrel Talon SL Ultegra and love it. Over 30,00 miles on the frame.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bike Nashbar has bikes in an array of prices, with free shipping. I filtered for 61cm, which had 12 items. There are other web dealers also.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cy...maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is a gravel bike out of the question?

If not, what about a 64 cm Specialized Diverge ALR5? I'm 6'4" and 240ish. My plan is to ride 2x per week to work (about 4 miles). The bike does not require perfectly smooth roads like the typical road bike does.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Gravel bike out. Riding 18 mph for 100 miles is my goal. We have a reasonably smooth "capital to capital trail" from Richmond to Williamsburg on which I will train.

I am hoping to stay below $1500. Used high dollar machines appear in this range, but often about four years old.

Although I have my 25 year old Nashbar jacket and pants, and have owned two Nashbar labeled bikes, I can't bring myself to have one shipped to me. I can't ride a brand name locally, then turn to Nashbar to order it. To me, this is equivalent to stealing. I have to ride it before buying.

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
you need an endurance bike!!!! what model is the ridley?

I just bought a specialized Roubaix frame. if you are going to knock out a century you want some relaxed geometry at 56!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Ridley is the Helium SL.

I'm actually OK with a road racing bike. I just did 53 miles in 3:51 on a 32 pound mountain bike on this trail. Next time I'll be on my 22 pound Schwinn, but I would like to get a modern machine.

-------

posted Hide Post
something like this.. other brands have endurance lines as well
f:0" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-...SwYsBbwNfd:rk:4Razzf:0

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
The Ridley is the Helium SL.

I'm actually OK with a road racing bike. I just did 53 miles in 3:51 on a 32 pound mountain bike on this trail. Next time I'll be on my 22 pound Schwinn, but I would like to get a modern machine.

ok...then I would say go for the ridley!!!!

Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
If the 2013 Trek Madone uses the BB90 bottom bracket bearings, I'd pass on that unless you want to buy and install multiple bearing sets each year. There is a moisture sealing issue and they rust up rather easily. I have a 2011 Madone 5.2 that has this issue. Maybe they fixed it in later years... I can't say for certain.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have my father's Look, which I'd like to sell. Its in Myrtle Beach, though.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I voted for the Madone, my 14 yo road bike with Ultra still shifts better than my new 105 Trek Domane.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to replace my Madone 5.2. The 5.9 is di2 isn't it?
I've quite liked it.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I opted for the more relaxed Cannondale Synapse. You sit a little more upright than the full on race model. Mine is equipped with SRAM Rival. If used is more in your price point check out theproscloset.com. I upgraded my wheels to Mavic Ksyrium Pro. At the level you wish to attain some decent wheels are a must. From your list I'd go for the Ridley. Don't fear SRAM its great stuff.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
I’d keep looking, try to find a 2017/18 bike. Or get the Cannondale and upgrade parts as needed.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I've always owned $50 bikes to which I install new rubber and cork tape. The white Fuji with a 20+ pound frame might have been a favorite and was ridden - sometimes in sandals - on several centennials. Stolen in the three minutes it was unattended, the SINGLE time I did not have it locked in the back of my truck. An old Raleigh was also a winner but I cracked the frame. Peugeot used to include a cool bike with your car; it had drilled gears and brake levers; I left that one with a local on the Big Island. None of my favorite bikes cost more than $50.

My bike now is an '84 Raleigh Technium, finally gifted after a friend, the original purchaser, kept it an extra ten years in his basement after giving up riding. Frame from Kent Washington, the other parts from Japan and France mostly. The French rims only accept Presta valve tubes, the tubes have to be pumped back to 90 lbs before every use, and I've got to be gentle with the pump hose; I've torn a few valve stems at the tube, jerking the Presta about with a hand-held pump in the field. Also I had to learn how to true spokes.

If you are racing, a super light bike is nice, but there is a lot to be said for a 'vintage' bike that you can gift to a needy person without remorse or reserve.

And I'd stick with Schrader valves if given a choice.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Madone 5.9 is di2. But, the first owner didn't like the charging and replacing of batteries, nor the expense, so he removed that group! It's Ultegra manual. Not happy it has been modded, but the price is just under a grand. But, four hours away. And, with the BB90 bearing issue, I think this one is off my list.

-------

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Too bad you can’t ride a 57 cm. I have an Eddy mostly Super Record to get rid of.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have a Trek Emonda, with BB90 and replaced the bottom bracket bearings at about 10K miles, put in ceramic and no problems since. I love the frame and components and will replace the bearings again if I ever have to.

The Madone w/Ultegra Di2 would have been nice if he hadn't taken it off. I don't think I would drive 4 hours for this bike.

If the Ridley has Sram Red (11spd?) and carbon wheels and is other wise in good condition, I would go for that one. Seems to be a well spec'd out bike from what I could find. If it's not Red I don't know enough about the different levels of Sram compared to Shimano.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote Madone. My current road (2006 Madone 5.2 SL) and tri bike (2010 Kestrel Talon SL) are both Craigslist spreciale and have probably over 10,000 miles (more with the original owners.)

However, at $1500 I’d suggest stalking Performance Bike or your LBS for a model clearance sale. You can pick up a nice Fuki or Kestrel with Ultegra and decent wheels for $1600-2000. Can you wait for Christmas? That’s what I would do.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post