SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowden must not be too bright.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowden must not be too bright. Login/Join 
posted
https://www.zerohedge.com/news...argaining-chip-trump

Snowden Slams "Corrupt" Russian Government Amid Rumors He's "Bargaining Chip" In Trump-Russia Summit

As President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin prepare for their historic summit in Helsinki, where they're expected to try to work out a compromise that could open the door to Russia returning to the G-8 - or at least a softening of US sanctions - speculation is mounting that Edward Snowden, the former government contractor, who blew the lid off the NSA's expansive domestic surveillance programs, is being considered by his Russian handlers as a potential bargaining chip, according to the Duran.

This, despite the fact that Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has repeatedly insisted that the Russian government has no plans to hand over Snowden to the US, where he would likely face a lengthy prison sentence.

"I have never discussed Edward Snowden with [Donald Trump’s] administration," Lavrov told Channel 4’s Cathy Newman. He added that President Vladimir Putin had addressed the issue years ago, however.

"When he was asked the question, he said this is for Edward Snowden to decide. We respect his rights, as an individual. That is why we were not in a position to expel him against his will, because he found himself in Russia even without a US passport, which was discontinued as he was flying from Hong Kong,” Lavrov recalled.

Still, these implicit threats haven't cowed Snowden from ceasing his criticisms of the Russian government.

In a recent interview, he slammed the "corrupt" Russian government and criticizing the country's crypto-authoritarian (according to Snowden) President Vladimir Putin.

While Russia's citizens are "warm and clever", Snowden said he "strongly" disagreed with the government's policies.

"I think the public feels disempowered. Russians are not naive, they know that state TV is unreliable. The Russian government is corrupt in many ways, that’s something the Russian people realize," the 35-year-old told German newspaper Suddeutsche Zeitung.

"Russian people are warm, they are clever. It’s a beautiful country. Their government is the problem not the people."

After leaking thousands of pages of documents detailing top-secret NSA programs back in 2013, Snowden was famously granted asylum in Russia after his flight from Hong Kong made a last-minute emergency landing in Moscow. He faces three charges under the Espionage Act that could carry a combined sentence of 30 years in jail. Snowden can legally remain in Russia until 2020.

"There’s no question, it’s a risk. Maybe they don’t care, right? Because I don’t speak Russian...and I am literally a former CIA agent, so it’s very easy for them to discredit my political opinions as those of an American CIA agent in Russia."

Snowden fled the US and his job at Booz Allen, an NSA contractor, in the spring of 2013, carrying a trove of documents detailing the NSA's massive domestic surveillance programs. He initially fled to Hong Kong, where he started leaking his documents to the Guardian's Glenn Greenwald. The leaks were undoubtedly the biggest news story of the year - and possibly one of the biggest stories of the decade. A divisive figure in pop culture, Snowden has been praised by civil liberties advocates for exposing the intelligence community's infiltration of US tech and telecoms companies, which allowed the NSA to hoover up sensitive personal information of American citizens.

However, Snowden has also been castigated as a traitor by the intelligence community, which has argued that he jeopardized sensitive programs and may have put the lives of America operatives at risk. Long before declaring his intention to run for the most powerful elected position in the West, President Donald Trump famously speculated that Snowden "would have been executed" during an era when the US was still respected and feared by its geopolitical adversaries and allies alike.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Well if he were particularly bright, he wouldn’t be in this mess.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
And he’s biting the hand that feeds him.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Too much vodka kills brain cells. He's just a victim of his environment.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"...speculation is mounting that Edward Snowden, the former government contractor, who blew the lid off the NSA's expansive domestic surveillance programs, is being considered by his Russian handlers as a potential bargaining chip...."

Why? Trump should care less. Let him rot in Russia. At the rate he's pissing off the Russian government, they should just simply move his current residence to Siberia. I'm sure the Russian people there are also very warm and clever. And the country beautiful.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't his nick-name at Booz Allen, Slow Ed?

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Trump should care less. Let him rot in Russia

Which makes for the perfect bargaining position given that the Russians have surely pumped him dry by now and would therefore consider him worthless. If Trump doesn't care about him, then Trump won't overpay for him the way we overpayed for Bowe Bergdahl. I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians hand him over just to be spared the expense of feeding, housing and monitoring him.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
If he comes back and testifies against obam im all for it .

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snowden is a very complicated topic. I do believe he is an American patriot and was left with very few choices in that moment of history. Arguably, he was the biggest thorn in Obama's side.

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Why? Trump should care less. Let him rot in Russia

Which makes for the perfect bargaining position given that the Russians have surely pumped him dry by now and would therefore consider him worthless. If Trump doesn't care about him, then Trump won't overpay for him the way we overpayed for Bowe Bergdahl. I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians hand him over just to be spared the expense of feeding, housing and monitoring him.

This. Trump gets to pump his MAGA by bringing Snowden back for punishment. I'll bet that by now the Russians are already growing tired of him.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post