SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unite Airlines Does It Again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unite Airlines Does It Again Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
outstanding customer service

fly the unfriendly skies...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/...-flies-for-free.html

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the lady's beef should be with the "Traveler Help Desk" travel agent website she used to buy the ticket.

She purchased the ticket though Traveler Help Desk, and Traveler Help Desk later cancelled the ticket, resulting in her not being able to fly because she did not have a valid ticket.

quote:
Carolyn Gallant, a customer service supervisor at Traveler Help Desk told the Times that they had no way of knowing her ticket had been changed and voided it to help guard against fraud. Gallant claims they reached out to her “numerous times” after the change appeared in the system.

The ticket was canceled and refunded.

“I am just so sorry for Ms. Amrich’s loss,” wrote Gallant in an email to the Times. “It is tragic. I understand it was unfortunate the ticket ended up voided. Had she contacted us directly to make the change, this all would have been avoided.”

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so no one could take the initiative to make it work out before the fact - it does not sound like the fare was in jeopardy

I am willing to bet that this will cost United a lot more than the value of the fare

United is trying so very hard to PR themselves out of existence

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how she made it on the plane in the first place.

But whatever. In the end, I'm not sure how this is the airline's fault.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
it was a legit ticket to check in at the counter

it was a legit ticket to get through security and to the gate

it was a legit ticket to the ticket reader at the gate

how could it NOT be the airlines fault?

in order to believe it was her fault, you8 have to believe that she had the technology to spoof the airline system from booking through being allowed on the plane and taking her seat and then magically, UAL figured it out...

posted Hide Post
What the hell is Traveler Help Desk?

The good intentions of the landlord by going through a third-party agency didn't do her tenant any favors. The airlines have a bereavement policy, it's not terribly difficult, you just need to follow the instructions.

How did she end up boarding the flight but, then the airline turns around and says your ticket is no good? After you've sat down and settled in....
The boarding pass is scanned and that should be it...you're clear or, not cleared. One or the other.
There's got to be more to this.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It could have been that the third party website's ticket cancellation was finally processed shortly after her ticket was scanned for boarding. Then the airline was notified that the ticket was cancelled, and they removed her from the plane since her ticket was no longer valid.

That would explain how she got through security and boarding with an apparently valid ticket, but then her ticket became invalid while she was on the plane.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

It's apparently a third party travel agent/airline ticket booking service. Like a low rent version of Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Kayak, or any number of others.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

The good intentions of the landlord by going through a third-party agency didn't do her tenant any favors. The airlines have a bereavement policy, it's not terribly difficult, you just need to follow the instructions.

How did she end up boarding the flight but, then the airline turns around and says your ticket is no good? After you've sat down and settled in....
The boarding pass is scanned and that should be it...you're clear or, not cleared. One or the other.
There's got to be more to this.

It seems to be a cut rate ticket operation. It doesn't have great reviews.

https://www.travelerhelpdesk.com/
https://www.complaintsboard.co...er-help-desk-b122067

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

in order to believe it was her fault, you8 have to believe that she had the technology to spoof the airline system from booking through being allowed on the plane and taking her seat and then magically, UAL figured it out...

This. If United thought is was a valid ticket long enough to seat them on the plane, they have no right to decide it's suddenly invalid or cancelled. It's their mistake and choice.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's not difficult to book a freakin' ticket. I can't even fathom why people still use third party ticketers anyway. I always book directly from the airline website.

And for chrissakes, scenarios like this are precisely what credit cards are for. You purchase now and worry about paying off the balance later because it's an emergency.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

This. If United thought is was a valid ticket long enough to seat them on the plane, they have no right to decide it's suddenly invalid or cancelled. It's their mistake and choice.

Yep, 100%.

Airline shouldn't kick her off just prior to take off. If they scan it then board her, then they should let her fly at whatever rate she booked at plus cost for changing flight.

Sounds like all of this was caused by her boss paying for the flight and third party booking agent. Third party agent and payer combination is recipe for this type of occurrence. Airline could have used for publicity and good will by putting her on the plane for free or the understanding that she pays the fare later.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It's not difficult to book a freakin' ticket. I can't even fathom why people still use third party ticketers anyway. I always book directly from the airline website.
Many inexperienced people are intimidated, do not understand how easy it is, are under the impression that it takes a "professional" to buy an airline ticket.

It's easy for you, as you travel regularly for work. Somebody who has never done it before might not even know where to start. I know people like this. I have family members who were like this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:

And for chrissakes, scenarios like this are precisely what credit cards are for. You purchase now and worry about paying off the balance later because it's an emergency.

Because I've never known *anyone* without a credit card....

Or just use the airline website. Because I've never known anyone who wasn't on the web.....

Are you kidding, or do you just not realize just what an obnoxious elitist ass you are here?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's apparently a third party travel agent/airline ticket booking service. Like a low rent version of Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Kayak, or any number of others.

Good grief, you're just rolling the dice for something to go wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:Somebody who has never done it before might not even know where to start.

Going to the airline directly, you know, the company that's actually providing the service isn't a first option?

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Many inexperienced people are intimidated, do not understand how easy it is, are under the impression that it takes a "professional" to buy an airline ticket.

It's easy for you, as you travel regularly for work. Somebody who has never done it before might not even know where to start. I know people like this. I have family members who were like this.

sigh

I have family members who *are* like this. Who don't have credit cards, or own a computer, and the only airplanes they were on were when they were in the service.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Step back, take a breath, and step outside of your perfect world for a moment.

quote:

~some people look for the cheapest fare because, well, they don't have a lot of extra money to spend. The airlines are not always the cheapest fare.

~Not everyone has a credit card, or available credit an a credit card. Surprisingly, many people don't have the income or credit rating to that allows them to have one.

You have seemed angry in some recents threads, Are you doing ok? Seriously I hope you are doing well but if you need anything I can help with let me know.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

quote:

~some people look for the cheapest fare because, well, they don't have a lot of extra money to spend. The airlines are not always the cheapest fare.

~Not everyone has a credit card, or available credit an a credit card. Surprisingly, many people don't have the income or credit rating to that allows them to have one.

You have seemed angry in some recents threads, Are you doing ok? Seriously I hope you are doing well but if you need anything I can help with let me know.

Nah, Alan is angry 24/7. Even in this MAGA world. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

quote:

I'm actually quite lovely once you get to know me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going to the airline directly, you know, the company that's actually providing the service isn't a first option?
Let me try this again. I have known people, in fact I am related to people, who have never done anything like this in their entire lives. Airline travel is something that is foreign to their existence. The whole process is a mystery to them. There are travel agencies in the neighborhood, everybody they know, uses travel agencies to make simple arrangements. The agencies are staffed by "professionals" who know how to deal with the mysterious and complicated intricacies of making a reservation and buying a ticket.

Yes, this is true. I am not kidding. There really are people who are so intimidated by the thought of dealing with an airline that they are relieved to have an agency do it for them.

As I said, I have relatives like this. I have offered to make the reservation and buy the ticket for them, but my offer was turned down. They are brainwashed, for lack of a better term, into thinking that a travel agent is the only one capable of dealing with the complexity of making travel arrangements.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

quote:

I'm actually quite lovely once you get to know me.

Well if according to your location you are out of Jersey you whole existence should be daisys and sunshine.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post