SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Down to 2 cars..Audi A6 and Lexus GS350..advice please....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down to 2 cars..Audi A6 and Lexus GS350..advice please.... Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Several months ago I posted a thread with several different cars in it ,and I'm now going to go shopping next week and purchase one of the two above cars. I have a friend who has a 2013 Audi A6 prestige edition with 44000 miles on it that is in Immaculate shape he is a personal friend it is very meticulous about his cars.. he has offered it to me for $25,000,my other choice is a 2016 Lexus GS350 with about 20,000 miles on it and a 4 yr warrantyt.. as much as I know the Lexus is a much more reliable vehicle I am just all kinds of in love with his Audi it is a gorgeous car I'm just afraid with it being so close to being out of warranty that I would not be able to afford to get it fixed if it breaks down.. does anyone have any first-hand experience with the longevity of the A6? Excuse typos,, on my cell posting

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I think the cost of ownership on the Lexus will be lower over time. I love me some German engineering but they are spendy to keep on the road as they age.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have owned 3 Euro cars. They have all been money pits when the problems begin. My Japanese vehicles have been much more reliable in the long term, but like everything they are all expensive to repair, they just don't seem to have as many issues over the time of ownership.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lexus has a better reputation for reliability, and I believe will hold value better with higher miles.
I personally really like the GS series from Lexus, I have owed a couple and loved them.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Scsigs..did you have or k ow of any major issues I need to look out for??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First one I owned was a 1997, sold it to my sister and she drove it for 7-8 years with absolutely no problems. Sadly it was totaled.
Second one I had through work, it was a 2013. No problems with that one either.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Awsome, thanks for.your input sir

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I know your talking GS here, but we’re on LS number three right now. The first two had 250k miles on them when we sold them. Just my experience.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Audi is a nice car but you better have deep pockets to pay for maintenance and even deeper pockets to pay for repairs once the warranty runs out. My roommate has a 2003 or 2004 Lexus and she's never had one issue with it. Paint still looks good and the car runs fine. Between the two cars I would go with the Lexus just because the cost of ownership will be less.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved my A6 until it started to go bad (90,000 miles) at which point I poured way too much money into repairs and then sold it. I've sworn off German cars BUT the Audi was a wonderful car to drive. I now drive an Avalon Hybrid. It's a bit boring but the cost of ownership is low.

If you're under 50, I'd get the Audi. If you're over 60 I'd get the Lexus. If you're in between, I'd flip a coin.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running through a quick price check shows that your friend is asking full boat retail. There were 3 or more listed with about the same miles in my area for the same or less asking price. One would expect that a dealer would come down on their asking price. Audi’s are nice cars I drove one quite a bit in Germany and loved the one I drove. If I was in Germany I’d definitely buy the Audi, they know how to work on them there.

Seeing as we aren’t in Germany the Lexus is a safer bet in general although knowing the detailed history of your friends Audi is a strong mark in its favor. It’s going to be far easier to get a Lexus worked on than an Audi unless you live near an Audi dealership with an excellent reputation for it’s service department. Having a 4yr warranty makes it a no-brainer if your number one concern is reliability and service cost.

If you just really love the Audi, don’t mind paying high full retail for it and don’t mind possibly high costs for maintainable it might be a car you’d really enjoy. If you just want nice, safe, reliable transportation and no headaches the Lexus would be a better choice.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at an F Series GS?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I love german cars but audi is 3rd on my list for german makers. Lexuses are boring to me, personally. But yeah they are reliable, if thats what you're looking for.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lease = Audi (3-4 years)
Own = Lexus

Been there. Done that.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Well, that pretty much sums that up..lol.. I pretty much knew that was going to be the answer I just thought I would get some experience I'm turning 48 (just divorced) years old and I just want a nice reliable comfortable classy car that I can run around in.. I'm drooling over the Audi but the common sense says to go with the Lexus in my budget is about 40000

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
Well, that pretty much sums that up..lol.. I pretty much knew that was going to be the answer I just thought I would get some experienced advice, I'm turning 48 years old and I just want a nice reliable comfortable classy car that I can run around in.. I'm drooling over the Audi but the common sense says to go with the Lexus in my budget is about 40000
..damn, i WANTED that Audi LOL

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

posted Hide Post
Take it for what its worth, but a buddy of mine is an Audi mechanic and he works 6 days a week and sometimes Sunday as well. He has more work than he can do, and this is at the dealer no less.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After acquiring a 2000 TL with 105k - in 2010 - refurbishing and servicing everything, and driving it 65k over a couple years, I'd have to make the Acura/Lexus choice every time. If I had stuck with that job, my next car would have been the ES330/350 or GS.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Have you looked at an F Series GS?

I drove a 2017 GS F series for about 60 miles last year. It is one BAD ASS car. The engine was doggish off the line till it got to around 3500 rpms, but once it did, it took off like a rocket and had plenty of power.....handled and stopped on a dime and was a really fun car. It's a much nice and more fun car than my customers S7 Audi.

To the OP, I wouldn't touch a used Audi with a ten foot pole. Once they get past 50k miles ALL kinds of stuff falls apart and breaks on them and they cost a small fortune to fix.

The Lexus is a very nice car and reliable and I'd go that route long before touching any used Audi.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
To the OP, I wouldn't touch a used Audi with a ten foot pole. Once they get past 50k miles ALL kinds of stuff falls apart and breaks on them and they cost a small fortune to fix.

The Lexus is a very nice car and reliable and I'd go that route long before touching any used Audi.

Jimmy,

Please check e-mail or send me one, e-mail in my profile. Re: Amsoil.

My buddy had an Audi. Small stuff would be ridiculous: $350 to get a keyfob cut, $400 for window switch are two examples.

I've seen Lexus people bring their cars to the Toyota dealership for service. Maybe because of the differences in hourly labor between the Lexus and Toyota shops? Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post