SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jallen"s memorial service information. Obituary added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jallen"s memorial service information. Obituary added Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If anyone from the DFW area is planning on going please let me know. I'm going to see if I can attend.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would attend if I wasn’t headed to Utah for a wedding that day.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't really know which he would prefer of those charities, but Jim was a loyal and lifelong supporter of the UT Longhorn Band. That's my pick.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't really know which he would prefer of those charities, but Jim was a loyal and lifelong supporter of the UT Longhorn Band. That's my pick.

This was my thought as well. He posted often and with great pride about it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I know it might not be in good taste to mention what an impact he had on the SigForum in his obituary. But he certainly was a fixture here, and I know many of us will miss his posts very much. I corresponded with him a little, and I highly suspect he's in Heaven now. Their gain is our loss.

RIP JALLEN.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Nice picture. He looked like quite the distinguished gentleman. RIP.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
A Memorial Service usually denotes immediate cremation or immediate burial. They could have used a cremation society for this in lieu of a funeral home.

I never knew What Jim looked like, but from his postings, this sure fits what I imagined.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This was my thought as well. He posted often and with great pride about it.

That is my pick. Last time I visited him he spoke a lot about how proud he was to participate in the alumni band until he was no longer able to do so and that is something that bothered him about his disease. I am still frustrated that I will not be able to attend his services as I will be out of state that day for a wedding; otherwise I would ensure I was there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the obit. Just one of the people we are so damn lucky to have shared their time with on this little internet oasis. I will miss him greatly.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

I had never seen him before but his picture fit the image I had of him in my head.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.lhab.org/honorary-scholarships

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:

I had never seen him before but his picture fit the image I had of him in my head.

I was just thinking that exact same thing.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A note from Martine Cardin-Allen regarding flowers, etc.

quote:
Thank you so much for posting the obituary. Yes, it is quite acceptable to send flowers to the church the day before the funeral service.
Also, if someone wants to write something for the entire group, I can have it read at the service. Jim’s nephew will read notes from family and friends. Jim’s brother will do the eulogy. We will have a reception afterwards.
Thank you again for staying in touch.
Warmest regards,
Martine

Thanks to spinzone and cheese grits for posting the obituary.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So that we don't overwhelm the family with multiple flowers or communications. My suggestion is to get one arrangement of flowers, one note to be read, and gifts to the Longhorn scholarship fund in his name.

In the note, we can state the obvious to us: Jim's impact on many people throughout the world via sigforum. That he was a kind, level headed man who discussed complex issues at length and with great detail over many years. That he will be sorely missed by his online aquantances and friends alike. In honor of Jim, several are making contributions to the Longhorn Band Scholarship fund.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the UT alumni Band's donations page

http://shop.lhab.org/item/lhab...arship-fund-donation

And just in case it is useful:

To establish a named scholarship, contact the Board of Trustees and begin with an initial donation of at least $5,000.00. After total contributions reach $30,000.00, a named scholarship can then be awarded to a member of the Longhorn Band.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
quote:

. Correct me if I’m wrong but I vaguely remember Jim referring to Wilford Brimely as having a strong resemblance to him.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:
quote:

. Correct me if I’m wrong but I vaguely remember Jim referring to Wilford Brimely as having a strong resemblance to him.

And he's still making me laugh. God I am going to miss him.

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post