SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jallen"s memorial service information. Obituary added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jallen"s memorial service information. Obituary added Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
I received this note from Martine this evening that she sent out to their family and friends with the service information.
I am posting this in a separate thread to keep the info clear for any local members who plan to attend.

Please do not post in this thread unless it concerns the service.

Dear friends:
Most of you already know the very very sad news. My wonderful husband passed away early last Friday after a long and courageous battle with pulmonary fibrosis. He passed away at home and I was at his bedside to the end. We had 29 wonderful years together.
Even though it was so hard to let him go, he is now at peace and not suffering anymore.
We are having a memorial service on November 17th at 10:00am, at the First United Methodist Church, 572 W. San Antonio street, New Braunfels, Texas.
Warmest regards,
Martine Cardin-Allen

Added: Link to obituary

The obituary is posted in full below in cheesegrits' post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SpinZone,

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. Do you know when his obituary will be published?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting. I planned to attend his funeral, but unfortunately I will be out of state on that date. I really wish I could be there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've not found an obituary yet, but here is a note from a part of the ham radio community with a detail few knew about referring to a book he had published. Quite a talented man.

Sometimes I referred to Jim as the Old Gray Cat, a reference to his ham radio call sign W6OGC.
Jim came up with the mnemonic for OGC.

W6OGC - James Allen - New Braunfels - Texas - USA
Yesterday, 03:55 PM
W6OGC, James M. Allen, Sr., from New Braunfels, Texas, USA, has become a Silent Key after a long battle with pulmonary fibrosis.
His brother, W5DV, Chas, says Jim was first licensed in 1959 as KN5VET, becoming K5VET next.
After moving to San Diego, California in the mid-1970s he switched to the W6OGC callsign. Changing to a callsign for the district you reside in was required at that time. Chas says Jim "was the motivating force" behind publication of "DX Is! The Best of the West Coast DX Bulletin," when that bulletin ceased.
Jim's original idea, brother Chas did the compiling and writing, with cooperation from WA6AUD, Cass, who had all the original bulletins.
Jim did the typesetting, artwork, illustrations and printing of the book, and handled the orders. In recent years poor health kept Jim off the air more than he would have liked but he was still actively interested in DXing.

LINK

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am trying to plan to attend the service and was wondering if any others were thinking of attending. Also looking at talking with the service provider to see if flowers would be appropriate.

I should know if I can can make it within a week.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is anyone from Houston going over? I may, but don't know yet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We should kick in from the Forum and send flowers if flowers are allowed.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am waiting to find out about flowers myself

JHE - if you decide to go, let me know so we can meet up at some point

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Since the service is 10 days out I was planning on waiting a week to see if an obituary is released before asking Martine. If anyone sees one please post it in this thread and let me know to update the tittle.

While jallen meant a lot to us, we do not have that relationship with his family and I do not want to intrude on them during this time of grieving.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Since the service is 10 days out I was planning on waiting a week to see if an obituary is released before asking Martine. If anyone sees one please post it in this thread and let me know to update the tittle.

While jallen meant a lot to us, we do not have that relationship with his family and I do not want to intrude on them during this time of grieving.

Good point. Let us know. ALthough, I don't know if my schedule will allow it yet anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Or, if there's a designated charity or cause where we could make a gift in JALLEN's memory, I'll gladly participate.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
There are two charitable causes mentioned in JAllen's obituary, and there's a great picture of him.

Link to obituary.

James M. (Mickey) Allen died on November 2, 2018 at his home in New Braunfels after a long struggle with pulmonary fibrosis. A Memorial service will be held on November 17, 2018 at the First United Methodist Church, New Braunfels, at 10:00 a.m. If you wish to honor Jim’s memory, a contribution in his name to a Longhorn Band scholarship fund or the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation would be appreciated.

Mickey, or Jim as he was known in his later life, was born on October 28, 1945 to Jimmie and Bobbie Allen in Houston, Texas. The Allen family moved to New Braunfels in September, 1949, where Jimmie Allen owned and operated Tip Top Cleaners until 1983.

He attended school in New Braunfels at Carl Schurz Elementary School, Seele Elementary School, and NB Junior and Senior high school, graduating in 1964. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Finance. While attending UT Austin he played tuba in the Longhorn Band and the Hi-Toppers Orchestra and continued years later playing in the Longhorn Alumni Band and the New Braunfels Community Band. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from Western State University School of Law in 1975.

After graduation from college Jim received a commission in the U S Naval Reserve and was stationed at the FACSFAC in San Diego, California. He remained in the U S Naval Reserve for 19 years.

Jim was an amateur radio operator since 1959, call sign K5VET, and later W6OGC when he moved to San Diego, California. He was a life member of the American Radio Relay League. He remained an active amateur radio operator until his death.

After practicing law in California for a number of years he founded several companies in the real estate and finance industry. He retired in 2013 and moved back with Martine to New Braunfels to be close to his family and to renew acquaintances with his many high school friends.

Jim was preceded in death by his parents, James R. and Bobbie Allen of New Braunfels, and his sister Kay Conerly of Kerrville.

He is survived by his wife, Martine Cardin-Allen, and his sons James M. Allen, Jr. (Stacy) of Stuttgart, Germany and John M. Allen (Bianca) of San Diego, California, grandchildren Marea Allen and Sonja Allen also of San Diego, California, his brother Charles T. Allen (Ann) of New Braunfels, Texas and his only and beloved sister Carol Spracklen (Larry) of Arlington, Texas, as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan to attend. I’ll be coming from Wimberley, Tx.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I'm in the New Braunfels area, but our holiday travel plans may not allow us to attend. I will see as the date approaches.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1171 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Is there a link to the funeral home, to leave a message, or am I just not seeing it ?

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
Is there a link to the funeral home, to leave a message, or am I just not seeing it ?

I searched every funeral home in the city and didn't see it. I was hoping to do the same thing.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It would be a 4-hour drive for me, so I doubt I would make it. It would be a good opportunity to meet some other SF people, I guess.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quite common today is a organization they wish donations be sent to in lieu of flowers. Might want to see if that's the case. Could not find anything online.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Quite common today is a organization they wish donations be sent to in lieu of flowers. Might want to see if that's the case. Could not find anything online.

From the obit, posted above.

If you wish to honor Jim’s memory, a contribution in his name to a Longhorn Band scholarship fund or the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation would be appreciated.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post