SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dropped 13lbs in 7 days.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dropped 13lbs in 7 days. Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I did a quick search, it does look like this app is available on Apple app store. I have 0 exp with apple so, don't take my word for it.
There are a gazillion health apps for Apple. Do you remember the name of the one that you're referring to, in the Apple App Store?
Same one I am using S-health.
I can’t find an app called “S-Health” in the App Store.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...th/id1224541484?mt=8

Thanks V-Tail! It will only let me put it on iPhone and not iPad, but that is okay. I need to loose 20 pounds as it is getting hard to fit into clothes......again. Sadly I probably need to cut back on wine at night, but I like my wine.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alcohol was the first thing i cut. Tonight my wife and i went out and had a large sushi dinner. Our over calorie dinner in 20 days. Back on the wagon tomorrow. The progress has been good.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Samsung health also has the stress measurement which is close to a HRV (heart rate variability) monitor.

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this last week was pretty interesting.

I am losing inches. my belt now fits well over 1/3rd the way around me. I am not losing as much weight.

I had an average calorie intake of 1700 +- 50 this last week. I spent most of the week driving though. Tons of driving, light exercise. 1700 calories seems to be my keep at point. I have hovered around 249/248lbs all week. my water percentage is still up. Right about 45.8, it keeps gaining at 0.1 or 0.2 per day. The days that I had more exercise, I lost, the days i drove more, I gained.

It looks like I need to up my exercise, something I loathe and drop the calories a bit more. At 1500 I always seem to lose weight. so that is my new daily goal.

Query from the fine folks here.

I don't usually eat breakfast when I do, I am starving all day. I end up eating at 10, 12, 2, 5. Skip breakfast, I can go till 11:30 with 0 issues. Then eat dinner at 4-5.

When I eat breakfast, I go way over on my calorie count due to the frequency, When I don't I am often well under it.

Wtf?

I am told by some folks I need 5 200 calorie meals a day. Is there any veracity, truth to this?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Why do you need to eat 5 times a day? We typically have 10s of thousands of calories stored in the form of fat and muscle glycogen. Its just a matter of accessing it-even if for a short period of time. You might want to take a deeper dive into low carb in addition to a lifestyle exercise like bike riding. 220 doesn't seem unrealistic by just cutting carbs and not necessarily counting calories. Watch your macros. Eat when you are hungry and don't when you're not. Good luck.

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Since I have an iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch I downloaded the MyFitnessPal App and really like it. It works in tandem with my Apple Watch to track walking and workouts. It is very easy to track what you eat. If what you eat is in a carton with barcode you scan it and it calculates all the calories and nutritional values. You are able to set your goal of how much weight you want to lose over what period of time and it tells you how many calories per day you should take in and how much of certain nutrients. I am starting a diet with my wife tomorrow and plan to use this app to track everything. Having my last glasses of wine tonight.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep skipping breakfast, the whole 5-6 meals per day tripe is hogwash. I ran 11 miles this morning and didn't eat until about 2pm.

DO NOT cut your calories any further. First, if you are losing inches you are losing fat, period. The scale is irrelevant. 2nd, if you are going to exercise more, don't just do mindless drivel to "burn" calories.

Do resistance training to build strength and muscle. No gym membership needed, all you need is a pull up bar. Variations of push ups, pull ups, squats, bridges, leg raises etc.

Focus on eating healthy not calories. Nutrient dense foods like meats and veggies, fruit (limited quantities) and nuts, healthy fats. Greatly limit (or almost eliminate) nutrient deficient, high carb foods like grains and sugars (white potatoes and corn as well).

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am out of town with family for the last 7 days. I have done pretty well. My activity level is way up, My caloric intake is up a bit also. I am however down to 241 this morning.

I would like to break 220 by the time I get back to VA. I will be putting my house in Seattle up for sale. So a lot of small lighter meals to come starting next week.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Removing all junk food, all take-out food, and all 'prepared foods', like frozen entrees, will drop your weight slowly but it will stay off.

Add in simple stretching with weights and a few sit-ups every other morning, and you'll be buying new clothes in no time.

"Boring foods" are very good for you. Apple cheese hummus GF-chips carrots nuts olives ... tinned smoked herring or mackerel are my favorite but only once a week or so because of the sodium.

Water. Lots of water. Carry it with you everywhere. No more sodas.

quote:
Cheese, Crackers, Olives, pickles, lunch meat.

My take on this, nearly every time I drive out the door, I take a tupperware with olives cheese carrots. Maybe an apple and a piece of dark bread. And no lunch meats. Way too much fat and salt in processed or cured meats.

Metamucil every night is my only processed sugar intake. Yum!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
DS, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I am doing the opposite after three spine surgeries, I had WAY too much muscle loss. I am on a path of strength training and in 5 weeks I put on 5.2 lbs. I am in the gym every other day, no cardio, I get enough throughout the day.

I wish you the best of luck and health! Keep up the great work!

Jim

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well sorry for the long belated reply. I was in seattle for most of the summer. At the time i was hovering around 232-235ish. I have been back in VA for 2 weeks. We, my wife and I, have started P90x. I have been still hovering around that 230 lb point. Frustratingly. Today I broke the barrier.

So from June 5th, I have gone from 276lbs down to just a hair under 230lbs. That is a staggering 46.2lbs. With the excercise much of that is now turning to muscle.

The goal still is 180lbs.

I am at 1500 calories a day give or take 200. Work out 1 full set of the p90x tapes every day, two full sets every other day. I am pleased with the progress so far.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
How you like that p90x yoga? My favorite. Nice work.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Way to go!

I love the success stories. I'm in much the same boat as you are, I hit 397lbs at age 44 and horrible health. April 5th I got myfitnesspal and modified it to show net carbs, 6 months later I'm down to 319 and should be over 80lbs lost come monday. More importantly, my diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure are all in perfect ranges for the first time in my life.

I do zero exercise though. The extent of my exercise is grocery shopping and cooking meals.

I also use Precisin Nutrition Weight loss calculator to figure out short term goals.

It will show you how many calories you eat daily to maintain your current weight and how many calories to eat to achieve a goal weight by a certain date. It also allows you to set your activity level. And it shows how many calories to maintain your goal weight once achieved, which is nice. It sort of serves as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow considering people typically eat much less then that amount to get there.

I have noticed people around me trying to change their eating habits as well. It inspires them to see my dramatic change. I have to remind myself not to talk about it to much because what starts as good intentions quickly turns to jealousy and contempt by people who think I'm bragging. Weight is a very touchy subject for people who can not commit themselves to controlling it. I know first hand.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
How you like that p90x yoga? My favorite. Nice work.

Yoga and stretching are my favorites.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
Way to go!

I love the success stories. I'm in much the same boat as you are, I hit 397lbs at age 44 and horrible health. April 5th I got myfitnesspal and modified it to show net carbs, 6 months later I'm down to 319 and should be over 80lbs lost come monday. More importantly, my diabetes, cholesterol and blood pressure are all in perfect ranges for the first time in my life.

I do zero exercise though. The extent of my exercise is grocery shopping and cooking meals.

I also use Precisin Nutrition Weight loss calculator to figure out short term goals.

It will show you how many calories you eat daily to maintain your current weight and how many calories to eat to achieve a goal weight by a certain date. It also allows you to set your activity level. And it shows how many calories to maintain your goal weight once achieved, which is nice. It sort of serves as a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow considering people typically eat much less then that amount to get there.

I have noticed people around me trying to change their eating habits as well. It inspires them to see my dramatic change. I have to remind myself not to talk about it to much because what starts as good intentions quickly turns to jealousy and contempt by people who think I'm bragging. Weight is a very touchy subject for people who can not commit themselves to controlling it. I know first hand.

I am using the sqmsung health app for that purpose. It makes all the difference.

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I did something similar for a year and lost 150lbs. Tracking calories and excercise in an app. It is worth it and I feel great. I am now starting to add intermittent fasting since I am in the maintain status. Keep up the good work, it is worth it....you will feel great when you hit your goal.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope i can get down to 180, I am a pretty muscular guy to begin with. That being said, I know that 200 will not be an issue as I have done that before. So, a little more cardio, lighter reps, and sticking to the work outs will help tremendously.