SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'd like to buy a 4WD vehicle for off road use - Q re: SR5 vs Limited please 8/9 post
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd like to buy a 4WD vehicle for off road use - Q re: SR5 vs Limited please 8/9 post Login/Join 
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Question -- I've been watching for 4Runners and other candidates on the road.

One curiosity -- I've seen several 4Runners where it looks like the front end is higher than the rear end. Perhaps not dramatically but noticeable. This seemed to be a natural state (ie - nothing heavy in the back).

Is this normal? Why is this? Is this okay? Is there an issue with 4Runners?

Ah, the old Tennessee Tilt. Apparently it got its start when people were cranking the torsion bars on their trucks tighter to "lift" them, and the look caught on with some segments of the population. Much like sagging pants, it makes no sense whatsoever and decreases performance in pretty much every measurable aspect.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok, so either intentional or sagging springs. Either way, correctable and 4Runner is still GTG. Thanks!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
If you can go with the FJ, I know 4 people who love and swear by them.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, I talked to some local people who go off-road and did some additional research.

Basically, it like A-Trac may be sufficient for my needs (which allows for the SR5 model) but as the cost difference isn't large, decided to stick with a model with a locking rear to play it safe.

This leads me to the 2009+ Trail Edition (now called TRD Off Road).

The problem is there is nothing available except for 2016's which are priced such that I might as well just buy new.

Still searching - KBB suggests that a good condition 2009 Trail should be valued around $14k. But I think it's going to be a challenge to find one listed, let alone at a reasonable price.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4Runners hold their value, as you've found out. I sold my 2003 Sport Edition with ~115k miles last year for $10k in 5 days. Would have been sooner but I listed it before my replacement title came in the mail. You'll be hard pressed to find a well kept '09 for $14k.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I am budgeting up to about $25000 (very good condition, up to 12k miles/year); higher than that, I'm going to start considering either new or something different.

I guess what surprised me the most, given their popularity and reputation, is that the locking rear was not available from 2001 to 2009. A-TRAC filled the capability for a locking rear?

SR5 with 4wd A-TRAC only seems to be more available. 2009+ with a locking rear is hard to find. I may have to save up for another year or two and buy new. Unless I can settle for an SR5.

Can I get an SR5 and (reasonably, easily) retrofit a factory locking rear? I'm guessing not.

posted Hide Post
Don't see why you can't add a rear locker. There's factory option or aftermarket, ARB for example. Install is key, do your homework if you take it somewhere.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have not read through all of this. But based on your comments on the last page looks like you are just looking for a newer rig. Not an off road rig. Almost any 4wd rig will do what you are talking about. Just have some good 10 ply tires. Don't even need to be a crazy aggressive tread. Be a great daily driver and any attempt to get off the pavement that you are wanting to do, it will do fine. Don't worry about lockers or specific rear ends, etc. Just get in it and drive downtown on vacation, to the lake or mountains. You really are not looking for an off road rig. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Someone may have already mentioned it, but check out the Ram Power Wagon. Tradesman model. 2014- present. Great for off roading and towing up to 10,800 pds. Very Versatel.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
... Almost any 4wd rig will do what you are talking about. Just have some good 10 ply tires. Don't even need to be a crazy aggressive tread. Be a great daily driver and any attempt to get off the pavement that you are wanting to do, it will do fine. Don't worry about lockers or specific rear ends, etc. Just get in it and drive downtown on vacation, to the lake or mountains. You really are not looking for an off road rig. Wink

If I don't have to worry about lockers and a 4Runner equipped with just 4wd A-Trac (ie - SR5) will be fine for me, that would be great because it opens up more used availability.

Summary of anticipated usages:
Generally driveable terrain but may have "deep" ruts. Ground may be soft sand and/or mud. (Beaches, fire roads, forest, river/lake side, snow/rain). May go through shallow streams. Hiking, Kayaking, Biking, Camping. No rock climbing anticipated. But do expect to go riverside, lakeside, beach side to unload/load kayaks (or maybe wave runners someday). No areas know to be prone to stuck vehicles. No 'expert' level paths were prior training is generally advised. Novice-intermediate paths only. But - I don't want to get stuck where there is no cell phone coverage (several places like that already visited). I'm too old to have to hike back to civilization. Smile

I'm getting the feeling that 4wd A-Trac is probably sufficient but most locals suggest playing it safe and getting a locking rear (ie - Trail or TRD Off Road edition).

But, if an SR5 with 4wd A-Trac is enough for my usages (no lockers) then that would help me find something.

BTW, here's anticipated pricing (ballpark) for a good condition Trail with reasonable annual mileage (just linear interpolation; so with a budget of $25k I'm probably looking for 2012 or earlier; I'm also trying to keep mileage < 12k/year):

2017 38
2016 34.9
2015 31.775
2014 28.65
2013 25.525
2012 22.4
2011 19.275
2010 16.15
2009 13

I think SR5 would be w/in 5% so I'd prefer the locking diff in that case; but again, the problem is nothing available to buy.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'd vote Wrangler. Being in Hawaii, you might be able to purchase ex rentals if they don't transport them to the mainland for auction or sale. If you get the bug, the sky is the limit for ad for market. If not, you still have a very capable off road or on road vehicle. The last time I was in Kauai, a large boar ran out in the road, biffed my Wrangler and ran back. I pulled over, not a scratch!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I would consider Jeep or FJ if this were solely for off-road.

But this vehicle will also need to haul stuff around town - if I buy a TV, table, fridge, what not. And carry 2 kayaks on top.

I considered a Tacoma as well - good for hauling stuff. And I could get bed racks for kayaks. But I wasn't comfortable with security for luggage in the bed on trips, especially with bed racks for kayaks.

That being said, I think for short trips nearby, budget allowing, I'd like to get a Jeep in addition to the 4Runner someday.

posted Hide Post
Honestly you'd probably be fine with the SR5. Throw on a decent set of tires, carry a compressor and know when to air down. Lifts are out there all day for 4Runners OME, Icon, Fox and probably at least a dozen more should you want to gain a little height. More than one person has found that locker(s) will get you places, but then a only wench will get you out. I've yet to exercise the lockers on my Land Cruiser in anything substantial. It is nice to know the switch is there should I ever need them however.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, a good rig (4Runner probably a good choice) with 4wd and good tires will do everything you are talking about. Find a good lightly used rig and you will be good to go.
I good tire and I would not do a lift. You can add anything you think you would need after using it some.
I would not do jeep myself for yip. A LC will be more expensive to operate, maintain and modify.
You should be able to find a really nice 4Runner for $15-20k. Leaves you a nice reserve for anything you want to add or modify if you want.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baran:
Check out a 4 runner for some versatility.
Here is a great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLW7peKges&sns=em

Of them in action.

I've watched the first 2 in that series tonight. That's bad ass. Watching makes me wonder how much money they have in those rigs, and how the heck they pay for it all!

And I agree...WAY too damn many bugs!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 13 SR5 with Atracs. I havent had any issues, it's stock height and at the first tire change at 30k or so I went to good BFG's. We will have owned it 5 years this fall and only 53k miles. Includes 4 huge family vacation road trips to various western states so that's probly 10-15k of the miles right there. There's a big open field near me that is primo mudding when it rains and other than mud getting everywhere I've had no problems.. and in the snow it's been great. If I had't just bought myself a 17 taco off road that I plan to modify further I'd have dumped the cash into tricking out the 4Runner. Wife saw my rock sliders and said those look cool when can I get a set on my rig. The 4Runner is her daily driver.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've been really impressed with my 2014 4 door rubicon. With 3" lift and 35" km2's. I feel like I can go anywhere. If you want more room and more reliability, the 4runner may be the way to go although I haven't had any trouble with my wrangler.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Jeep Cherokee 4x4 for $5K or less, for offroad. My friend was selling a Grand Cherokee 4x4 with leather and a V8 for less than that and it would have been a perfect vehicle for what you are looking for. A 3" inch lift kit and tires will make it even better.

Spend the other $15K on a daily driver car.

I would NOT be dropping $20K to $25K on a vehicle that you plan on taking off road.

I dont know what part of the country you are in, but here are some local examples.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/h...redo/6242150523.html
https://fortmyers.craigslist.o...okee/6241556623.html
https://fortmyers.craigslist.o...e-xj/6240905038.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/h...okee/6241327350.html
https://fortmyers.craigslist.o...e-xj/6211732129.html
https://tampa.craigslist.org/h...ully/6240765190.html

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2014 I bought my first 4Runner, a 2015 Trail. I had been searching for a used 4R but the prices for 3 year old were within a very few dollars of new, so I spent $2000 more for a brand new one. The caveat might be if you can find a very low miles certified used 4R it actually may have more warranty than new.
Chapter 2:
A couple months ago I was having the 2015 serviced and wandered around while the work was being done. My 15 was black which is beautiful when it is clean for about 30 minutes.I saw a white Limited Edition and thought what the heck, I'll get a price. I traded a 2 1/2 year old 4R for a brand new one for the difference of the window sticker prices. In other words the sticker on the new 2017 LE minus the original window sticker price on my 2015. I also got them to throw in a couple of discounts on extended warranty and surface protection packages. The initial entry price is a little tough but once you are in the door it's quite easy to keep returning with deals like that.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I watched some more videos, specifically looked for SR5, in sandy/muddy/rocky terrain. SR5 seems like it is pretty capable with A-Trac 4L; inexperienced that I am, I'm still not completely comfortable with the brakes acting in place of real locking.

But, I'm sure the SR5 is popular for a reason and if there was a real lacking, it seems like rear locking would have been brought back sooner than 2009 (when it was removed in 2001).

So, I'll keep my eye open for a Trail (2009-2012) but also consider SR5 (2003+); latter especially if I find a particularly good deal and/or I have a trip planned (right now, nothing planned).

Other than a 300zx, I've only had Toyota vehicles. That's the other hesitation with non-Toyota purchases. But, $5k for a Cherokee that is similar (function, reliability, comfort, TCO) to the 4runner is worth evaluating more.