SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Our prodigal son returns. (Kind of long.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our prodigal son returns. (Kind of long.) Login/Join 
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
It's rare but every once in a while a person can really change.

I've seen a lot of it. It seems to only happen when their life is in real jeopardy/rock bottom.

Rarely is it the __________, but the person.

Congrats to the DF family.

Good news is easy to be grateful for; the difficulties maybe not so much - but a encompassing view is helpful IME.

For many families of addicts/alcoholics, Al-Anon or similar are there for the family - not the addict.

It's called recovery because it's never cured; much like cancer. As the saying goes, "The dragon is outside in the parking lot doing push-ups." Relapse is prevalent and common. I hope your son stays clean, or at least has the tools to recover again if he slips.

Addicts need refreshers on what life was like when using. It is human nature to only keep the good memories and forget the bad. I.e women would never get pregnant again if the truly recalled the pain and struggle. Addicts need the reminders of how bad it was e.g. meetings or talking with others who've walked a similar path.

It is stories like this that inspires resistance against those who wish that all addicts/alcoholics just die. There is cause for hope, and room for joy with people in these difficulties associated with a rampant disease.

I can not agree more than what Signified has posted. For your son’s continuing success, he will have to stay plugged into some sort of program or meeting system. The numbers are really against us that are in recovery. The numbers show that 97% relapse. Those that actively work for their recovery stay in the 3% longer or forever. There is no cure, so it truly is day to day work. However, the longer you actively work at your recovery, the easier it gets.

I’m a recovering alcoholic with close to 2.5 years sober. Although I have not relapsed and don’t have cravings right now, that doesn’t mean that one small ill advised decision can’t send me spiraling. Really all comes down to vigilance and a true lifestyle change.

For you and the rest of your family to try to understand your son’s addiction, going to some Al-Anon meetings might help immensely. You can go to in-person meetings or even watch some meetings from YouTube.

I’ll pray for your son and your family for continued success.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
I wish you and the family all the best, man.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Screen got kind of blurry there for a while.

Glad to hear of his, and your, success!! Prayers that it continues!!!!!!!!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Anyone with children can feel the fear of the situation you described DF.

I will pray for continued healing for your family.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I suppose I owe you all an update for your kind hopes and thoughts. Jr DF#1 continued to progress until about a year ago. He found a girl, married her and they had my grandson in June of 2020. For reasons I can't understand, he began using again. He was arrested for impaired driving and that was the first event of a torturous spiral of arrests and hospitalizations and short stretches of homelessness. His baby boy was without his father more than 60% of his life.

Jr DF#1, whose real name is Michael, died today of an overdose at 1:14 mountain time. His mother, my wife is full of grief. I stay with Michael until they came to take him to the medical examiner's facility. His brothers are each handling this in their own way but they knew, we all knew, this was a statistical probability.

When I got home from the hospital I gathered everyone up and we went to dinner. It felt good to be together and love one another. My granddaughter lifted our spirits with her 10 m0nth old craziness. And now we will prepare to bury our boy. I really hoped he had this thing beat. Drug use is not a victimless crime.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Frown

I read this thread back in 2018 and hoped it would continue with a happy outcome...

2+ years later I see the thread again, and I'm filled with a foreboding dread. Jump to the last page, and.... there it is.

So sorry for your loss, and heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry your boy lost his fight with addiction. I’ll be keeping him and all your family in my prayers. I wish I knew some words that would lift your spirits and lessen your pain, but God isn’t giving me any. I’ll ask that He gives them directly to you instead.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a sad day today on SIGforum. I'm so sorry, Mr. DF. May The Lord comfort you and your family.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What Smudge said. I cannot offer better words.

From God's lips to your heart, and the hearts of your loved ones.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear that your son lost his battle. I've read many of your posts over the years and have learned from most and agreed with many more.

It sounds like despite your having done everything within your power to provide him with a loving support system, he was unable to resist the unbelievably powerful allure of mind-altering substances.

My thoughts will be with you and your family as you struggle through the inevitable process of attempting to make sense out of that which is unknowable in this life.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear Darth, May God give you and your family peace.
A gift of a granddaughter is special. I am sure you will cherish her.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry for your loss - prayers said for you and yours.

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am also sorry for the loss of your Son and your having to witness his substance abuse issues.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. Very sad. Prayers for all of you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30645 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oh my, I’m at a loss for words.

May God Bless.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Darthfuster, so very sorry for your family, may Michael find peace now in heaven with the Lord and may grace fall upon your family here, that is my prayer.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Damn, so sorry, my friend.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
As one who can identify with a family member that mirrors him, who has turned his life around
. Prayers for strength and guidance!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
You and your family will be in my prayers.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post