SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE on PAGE 5 (good news) Aw crap, just diagnosed with cancer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE on PAGE 5 (good news) Aw crap, just diagnosed with cancer Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
prayers said and sent.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Yikes!

You mentioned "difficulty swallowing". I'm guessing it was fairly significant, not just "food went down a little slowly". Is that correct or was that demon mostly asymptomatic? 6cm seems pretty dang big given the normal size of the esophagus.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Censored, You are one smart man, you caught it early on and are surrounded by a good (we pray great) mediacal staff. Prayers & positives are continuing & will continue.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Censored-
Good luck! You're in good shape, you'll beat this shit!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
As you know, sir- cancer can suck. But you can beat it enough to live a long while and/ or a happy while. I pray that you get to lead the life you want for whatever time you can!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Prayers your way. I hope you kick the snot out of it. Do your best to stay positive.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Censored, you have so much going for you. You are in good fighting shape, have a positive attitude and have a tremendous support system. We all will be praying and lifting you up through this ordeal. Lean on God and he will lift you, LBJ is proof of this.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with you

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I truly wish you all the best.
You are at one of the best cancer hospitals in the world.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
I am in great shape for a mid-50 year old. Worked out several days a week, cycled, volleyball. In Oct of 2017 upon returning from Europe I began feeling dizzy and had mild epigastric pain. Went to the ER and got hospitalized with a DVT/PE resulting in an emboli storm. Survived 50+ emboli to the lungs (angiogram was really interesting) and was discharged in 3 days. Later I went to China and Taiwan for several weeks and upon return had a little difficulty swallowing. Reached out to GI doc friend and got set up for a scope in late Dec 2017. Scope revealed the ugliest looking 6 cm esophageal tumor you have ever seen.

Flash forward to today I just finished 6 cycles of chemo (one per week) and 28 doses of proton therapy at MD Anderson in Houston. I am now waiting a few weeks before having surgery to remove 2/3 of my esophagus and 1/2 of my stomach. The pathology on my removed innards will set my 5 year survival rate.

If you are suffering from reflux (I did not) or have trouble swallowing it would be in you best interest to be evaluated for esophageal dysplasia or cancer. I got lucky (if you can call it that) and was staged as a 3a, if I would have been a 3b then it would have been palliative care only.

It is also kind of a twist of fate that I work in the cancer research field. I have always sympathized with patients, but now I empathize with them.

Prayers sent. Good luck to you. I had been tested for reflux as I lost 2 cousins to this cancer. Right now my daughter has stage 3 breast cancer. Be positive and never give up.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Prayers are inbound.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Censored...prayers for the possible outcome in fighting this...also prayers for your family and friends, this not something you fight alone.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Censored, you are dealing with exactly what my dad fought. Including the stomach and esophagus loss.

Besides sending my best wishes and encouragement, I am going to either tell you something you haven't thought about or repeat something the docs have told you.

You are going to have to eat. A lot. By that, I mean frequently. My dad went from being a big guy eating three big meals a day to having to eat every few hours. It was a big change for him. Add to that the fact he was getting chemo at the same time and his appetite was crap. All politics aside, he was the poster child for medical MJ which wasn't available back then. Something to help the discomfort and keep the appetite strong. If you have problems, think about it.

I don't want to be a downer. You can do this. Just be thinking of things that will help you fight the fight. Stay strong brother. You are in my thoughts.

I am sorry that your dad had to go through esophageal cancer. Eating has been a challenge. I developed a viral pneumonia on Cycle 1/Day 1 of chemo and dropped 12 lbs in one week. Food did not taste good, smells were amplified and I just was not hungry. To date I can only taste 50% of the foods I eat (I cannot taste salt at this time). Like your dad, 3 meals a day has been my norm for ever. Switching to small meals has been a challenge. Even though I am relatively free from pain at this time, eating is painful. I will check out the medical MJ. thanks for your input.

When I was on chemo, like you I lost my appetite and taste. It was trying hard to keep eating normally. Doctor told me to drink 3 bottles of Boost a day (this: https://www.amazon.com/Boost-C...s=boost%2Bdrink&th=1) and that helped a lot. I still lost 36 lbs. and I still haven't got it back.

You've got this. Attitude and support is crucial and it sounds like you have that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Praying for you and your family and for speedy recovery.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
Prayers and positive thoughts sent your way.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you in this fight. Prayers sent your way.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2767 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent!

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are in my prayers! My dad past in December from esophagial cancer, it's nasty. As others have said - make sure you are taking in enough calories.

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Censored ~
I am offering prayers and best wishes as well...
As a cancer survivor myself, I know the challenges you face, and am happy to hear that you are at one of the best facilities known to medicine! You are in the best possible place for successful intervention.

I will be keeping positive thoughts for you as you work your way through this challenge!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post