SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you have eclipse glasses -- beware!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you have eclipse glasses -- beware! Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I'm starting a new thread on this instead of posting in the existing solar eclipse thread because IMHO it is potentially important enough to warrant it.

If you have obtained protective glasses for the solar eclipse, you should make sure that they meet ISO standards, etc., and are safe.

I received the below email from amazon this morning. Eek Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Eye Safety During a Total Solar Eclipse

Visit NASA's Eclipse Across America site for more information on the Aug. 21, 2017, total solar eclipse.

It is never safe to look directly at the sun's rays – even if the sun is partly obscured. When watching a partial eclipse you must wear eclipse glasses at all times if you want to face the sun, or use an alternate indirect method. This also applies during a total eclipse up until the time when the sun is completely and totally blocked.

During the short time when the moon completely obscures the sun – known as the period of totality – it is safe to look directly at the star, but it's crucial that you know when to take off and put back on your glasses.

First and foremost: Check for local information on timing of when the total eclipse will begin and end. NASA's page of eclipse times is a good place to start.

Second: The sun also provides important clues for when totality is about to start and end.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/e...-total-solar-eclipse

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
FWIW, we got our glasses from Lowes and they appear to be quality glasses. They have the approval markings. They are SUPER dark lenses and when we looked at the sun you could just see a perfect round ball up there and no issues when we took them off and looked away.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I got the same notification from Amazon for a different, but similar product I ordered on 8/2.

Labeled "made in USA" on the display ad, but they shipped from China. Curious.

Even better, the shipping notification indicated earliest date of arrival as 8/23, two days after the eclipse.

So if this is a nefarious Chinese plot to trick the good citizens of the US into blinding themselves, they aren't getting it exactly right.

I did see that eye drops, "made in the USA" are on sale now. Smile

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
No. 14 welders glass-yes. Exposed medical x-ray film-no. That and color film. I wondered why all these glasses are being given away for free. Are the lenses made of Mylar?

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently, the restriction for prescription eyewear on my driver's license was removed. I'd hate for it to show a new restriction, namely, legally blind.

So, I really hope and wish that after the eclipse some TV channel will show film of it. Keeping my fingers crossed. But the goat is ready for the ritualistic sacrifice. Somehow, I think that Shelly the Goat wishes there were no stinkin' eclipse.

Meanwhile, those of you who plan to watch it live, make certain that you wear the correct glasses. After corroborating, if in doubt, you are probably right.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
How would welding lenses work for viewing the eclipse? I would think they would be of higher quality. I think I have shades 10 and 11. I just saw SigSentry's post. Looks like I need to go darker or can I double up?

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1362 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
How would welding lenses work for viewing the eclipse? I would think they would be of higher quality. I think I have shades 10 and 11. I just saw SigSentry's post. Looks like I need to go darker or can I double up?

No doubling. 13 or 14 only depending on which source you trust.

We have binoculars, glasses, camera filters, all set for it! Can't wait.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
What I read is you can't double up, have to use #14.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine when they were 10 for $10.
They are in shipping, but not arrived yet.

Now Amazon sends out this warning, and the "good ones" are 5 for $50 ?!?!

...and unless you choose special shipping, they are not going to arrive by eclipse time!

The perfect scam!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Eclipse glasses arriving after 8/21 would rival the SMALT! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim Shugart,

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I just came here to post the same thing as I got the same message.
My order was for 4 of the hard frame glasses. The packaging says "HomeStarry, ISO, CE, infrared, ultravioelt, yada, yada," etc. but unlike in the picture at ordering, there is no labeling on the frames. Roll Eyes

I looked at the sun w/ them earlier and I've no ill effects but now, who knows? Better not chance it.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Not to highjack the thread, but what filter do I need for our DSLR Nikon 5300, 52mm is filter size I think? I looked on Amazon, but am rather confused by the filter type and costs seem to vary wildly for those marketed for the solar event.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well crap! What to do?

Just got the notice and a refund.
I thought I was on the ball for once. LOL! I ordered 24 for family early on and have already dispersed some.

They are VERY dark, even darker than my #10 welding helmet lens. Tried them looking at the sun. They do have the ISO logo and cert numbers ... but that means nothing I guess.

But just because they can't verify they are on NASA's or some other official approved list doesn't mean they are not safe. Amazon has to cover their ass I guess.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Seems I'm in the clear. I ordered the Soluna glasses off Amazon, and they appear to be legit. I haven't gotten an email from Amazon in any case.

Soluna Solar Eclipse Glasses - CE and ISO Certified Safe Shades for Direct Sun Viewing, (10 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N...cp_taa_e22JzbR5GK46R

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My ancestors looked at solar eclipses straight in the eye and they lived.

They didn't need any stinking glasses, just a virgin sacrifice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned, you should never stare directly towards the sun, except during the total part of a total eclipse. I'm not trusting my eyesight to any pair of cheapo glasses.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Seems I'm in the clear. I ordered the Soluna glasses off Amazon, and they appear to be legit. I haven't gotten an email from Amazon in any case.

Soluna Solar Eclipse Glasses - CE and ISO Certified Safe Shades for Direct Sun Viewing, (10 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N...cp_taa_e22JzbR5GK46R
I got these certified eclipse glasses w/ expedited shipping for less that $6 each. Everything left on Amazon is either more than $10 each, expecting more in a few days, or both.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Happy to say that I bought actual welding goggles with #14 glass.. I thought they were better because they blocked the side light. And they were shipped from the USA so I already got them

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I too got the notice and the refund.

The outfit that sold me my hard frame glasses claimed that the filters were sourced from Canada although the frames and assembly took place in China.

I took them outside after they arrived and looked at the sun. They seemed to work just fine.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post