SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you have eclipse glasses -- beware!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you have eclipse glasses -- beware! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I will be 100% safe. Why? I ain't looking into the damn sun using some Chinese bullshit that may or may not fry my corneas.

How many people are we going to read about a couple days after this thing who end up in the ER with destroyed eyesight?

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
We didn't have eclipse glasses but about 1947 we layered some old photo negatives to view an eclipse. We didn't look long and none of us suffered any ill effects.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
You can always look at it with just one eye. That way if something goes wrong you'll have the other eye as a backup. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I will be using my Celestron C10 as a projector.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We got ours several years ago from a local eye doctor that was selling them. We've used them twice, so far, with no problems. Not bad for $2.00/pr.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
My ancestors looked at solar eclipses straight in the eye and they lived.

They didn't need any stinking glasses, just a virgin sacrifice.

Caution is advised with these virgin sacrifices.

Will Durant wrote about the long ago chieftain who got the advice of his soothsayers and augeries before launching an important attack. Their advice, after due and prayerful consideration, was that the attack would be successful provided he sacrificed a virgin beforehand.

He sacrificed his daughter. On the following day, he launched the attack, and was soundly trounced. Durant concluded this account by saying he may have been mistaken about his daughter.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
How would welding lenses work for viewing the eclipse? I would think they would be of higher quality. I think I have shades 10 and 11. I just saw SigSentry's post. Looks like I need to go darker or can I double up?

No doubling. 13 or 14 only depending on which source you trust.

We have binoculars, glasses, camera filters, all set for it! Can't wait.

Shade 10 is too light. I've viewed an eclipse briefly through shade 11, and I'm fine.

The reason for the shade 14, is if you want to sit and watch the whole thing all the way through. Shade 13 would give you a little more to look at.

Welding is very bright, and I can tell you that staring at really bright stuff for extended periods can mess with your eyes even when the protection is sufficient.

Shade 14 is the way to go to stare directly at the sun for the full duration. If you're just going to peek, shade 11.

I'd buy more welding gear before I bought "eclipse glasses." Just because they sound sketchy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I'd buy more welding gear before I bought "eclipse glasses." Just because they sound sketchy.
I'd rather have $20 welding goggles with multiple potential uses so I tried to buy welding goggles and replacement #14 lenses. However, I started too late and every place I tried is out of stock so I've purchased ISO certified eclipse glasses from a reputable company (B&H Photo).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post