SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    original Bullitt mustang resurfaces
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

original Bullitt mustang resurfaces Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
https://youtu.be/1Hu4vKWBMCo

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3205 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
The Haggerty Insurance Magazine did a piece on the original Bullitt car a few months back. Thanks for the link.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watched that on DVR last night, what a cool story
and it was great that they shot the scene with the original Bullitt Mustang coming over a hill behind them, a homage to the original scene...

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Cool story about it on Jane Pauly Sunday morning CBS show.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Saw it in person back in January.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
That has to be worth a LOT of money.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the rumors over the years, I hope they are able to establish the provenance of this one!

A friend owned a 1968 Dodge Charger, black and nearly identical to the Bad Guys' car, except my friend's car had the 440 Magnum engine and an automatic trans. Those were both great cars.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I saw the Leno piece the other night. The claim was there were two cars, one pretty much destroyed during filming. Pretty hard to believe they went into production with just two cars but I guess they hadn't planned on the chase being as long and integral as it was.

By getting through production with two cars, you could say they Dodged a Bullitt. **rimshot** Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.gettyimages.com/de...-picture-id494837524

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54611 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wonder what that would go for on the block at Barrett Jackson?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I saw the Leno piece the other night. The claim was there were two cars, one pretty much destroyed during filming. Pretty hard to believe they went into production with just two cars but I guess they hadn't planned on the chase being as long and integral as it was.

By getting through production with two cars, you could say they Dodged a Bullitt. **rimshot** Roll Eyes

Leno put an estimated value of $4 million, I'd bet it would easily fetch that, McQueen memorabilia brings big money

There was no chase scene in the original script, it was added in at the request of the director, the scene where McQueen Backs up smoking the tires was a mistake made in filming, he missed the turn and had to back up, they kept that in the movie.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Steve McQueen was a real icon for me back then.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I'll take the Charger.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
All the rumors over the years, I hope they are able to establish the provenance of this one!

A friend owned a 1968 Dodge Charger, black and nearly identical to the Bad Guys' car, except my friend's car had the 440 Magnum engine and an automatic trans. Those were both great cars.

The provenance of this car has never been in doubt. McQueen tried to buy it from its owner numerous times but finally gave up, as they would not sell it to him. I am not 100% sure, but that owner may have finally passed away and the car was sold by the estate.
The second car used in filming was supposed to have been scrapped after the movie was made, but was found a year or two ago in a Mexican junkyard. Kevin Marti, who bought ALL of Ford's production records for their performance cars, actually traveled there and authenticated the car, including documenting where the holes had been cut in the trunk floor to mount the cameras for the low angle shots in the chase scene. That car was heavily damaged when found, and had been painted and repainted several times. It has been brought back and is being restored, although the resto costs of that car will be difficult to recoup. It is the camera car and since it is doubtful that McQueen ever actually drove that car, the value doesn't hold up to the other one.

I absolutely love barn finds and survivor cars from that era, I was in my teens when they were plentiful as second hand cars and I had a 1970 Mustang, but never a top of the line performance car like a big block Mach 1. I did just recently find and pull a 1964 Porsche 356C out of a storage shed that a family I know has after the death of the patriarch of the family. Beautiful little silver coupe......

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
...I was in my teens when they were plentiful as second hand cars and I had a 1970 Mustang, but never a top of the line performance car like a big block Mach 1...

In 1971 and 1972, I worked at a car dealership to finance part of my college education. Muscle and Pony cars were plentiful and cheap, since the original buyers were usually young men who eventually couldn't afford the insurance. Boss 302's, Charger R/T's, etc were available by the handful for as low as $1,200 -- not a misprint! Unfortunately, living at home my father wouldn't let me invest in them, so I ended up with a college degree, a shit job, and a rusted-out MGB.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I'll take the Charger.

Same here. The '68 model year is my favorite of all the Chargers.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7506 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I guarantee, you wouldn't be disappointed! For the hell of it, one time I floored it at about 70mph in my friend's, it lit the tires for about 50 feet or so!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Leno put an estimated value of $4 million, I'd bet it would easily fetch that, McQueen memorabilia brings big money

There was no chase scene in the original script, it was added in at the request of the director, the scene where McQueen Backs up smoking the tires was a mistake made in filming, he missed the turn and had to back up, they kept that in the movie.

"Ummmmm, will ya take $2 million for it" (Rick from Pawn Stars) heheheehe

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The YouTube vid is very cool !

Thanks for posting it !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
In case you are into reading and pictures, heres Hagertys interview with the owner on the history of the car. Great Read

Cool Hand Link

Its too long to copy and paste, plus, pictures...