SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    airstrikes in Syria
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

airstrikes in Syria Login/Join 
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
President Trump - thank you for fulfilling the red line promise of President Obama.

President Obama- thank you for retiring.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Trump WILL NOT send troops into Syria. Gen. Mattis will not let him. I have faith in Gen. Mattis.

Trump wants to pull the plug on the entire region, however Mattis, McMaster and Kelly have wanted him to maintain the current formula of SOF supported by airpower and conventional fire-support troops as that's what's dealt the hammer blows to ISIS. This is the formula that should've been in-place for Afghanistan but, Big Army had to get involved.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
My daughter is in a panic about this....constant text messages. The only response I could come up with is "How's the situation between you and your boyfriend?
I don't give a fuck about Syria.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Oddly enough, I am perfectly calm on this one.

Me too. I just wish that Saudi Arabia was part of the coalition. That would have sent a huge message throughout the middle east.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Trump IS NOT the rouge person the left says he is.

If he makes a foreign policy decision, especially a military one, it was blessed off by Bolton and more importantly Gen. Mattis. Gen. Mattis does not use force willy nilly.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
President Trump - thank you for fulfilling the red line promise of President Obama.

President Obama- thank you for retiring.

This!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Fox reporting U.S. Navy ships and B-1 bombers both participated

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Well, now we will know just how much Putin is invested in the region. Interesting time we live in.

Jim

Yes it is isn't it. And without this particular POTUS, we may never have known until it was too late.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
What gives us the right to attack a sovereign nation that hasn’t attacked us or one of our allies?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barsad0:
I’ll admit that I am completely ignorant in US and Syrian relations. Can anyone give me a readers digest version of what’s going on and why this is a US problem?

Like it or, not, we're the world's policeman AND garbageman. Syria used chemical weapons, which in the scale of nastiness, is just a step below nuclear weapons...for a fraction of the costs. If one two-bit country uses them and there's no repercussions, then you can expect other shit-head leaders to use them, and so-on and so-on. Our last POTUS made a threat to Syria's president/depot if he used them, there'd be consequences...crickets from the Oval Office during their first use. Then came all the refugees pouring out and the world became concerned.

Now that ISIS is cleaned-up, the attention turns to the asshole who started this whole thing.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I also think this is the right kind of POTUS to handle all the fallout to follow, both from within and the rest of the world.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39500947

A declassified report by French intelligence agencies published on 26 April said analysis of environmental samples collected in Khan Sheikhoun had also revealed the presence of Sarin, diisopropyl methylphosphonate (DIMP) and hexamine.

The report concluded that the Syrian government had manufactured the Sarin because the process of synthesizing the nerve agent developed by the Syrian Scientific Studies and Research Centre (SSRC) and employed by the Syrian armed forces and security services involved the use of hexamine as a stabilizer. DIMP was also known as a by-product generated by this process, it added.

The Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons said on 19 April that bio-medical samples collected from three victims during their post-mortems had been analysed by two OPCW-designated laboratories.

The results of the analysis indicated that the victims were exposed to Sarin or a Sarin-like substance. Samples taken from seven survivors showed similar results.

"While further details of the laboratory analyses will follow, the analytical results already obtained are incontrovertible," said OPCW head Ahmet Uzumcu.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The news that Britain and France have joined in the attack lends a bit of reassurance to the situation.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
This was a warning to BOTH sides...America is watching.

We are a world power and we need to act like it. I DO NOT condone troops anywhere, but a friendly whistle will work.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
What gives us the right to attack a sovereign nation that hasn’t attacked us or one of our allies?

I ask you why is the Syrian government attacking its own people ? Abraham Lincoln quote "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This goes beyond Syria.

U.S., U.K., and France tell all countries (incl NK), if you use chem weapons, you will be attacked.

posted Hide Post
My reaction is mixed. As stated earlier, Russia barks loud and then uses surreptitious actions to exact their revenge. Last I recalled, they had to have a sea-worthy towing barge accompany their one operational aircraft carrier when it transited the English Channel. I get it, they also have some pretty advanced S-400 AA missiles too.

As Patton correctly said in WW2, we should've kicked their ass, too.

The Syrians, and by extension every other middle eastern country, are but a bunch of tribal sects and factions who have been fighting each other for centuries. This is no different other than Assad has access to chemical weapons.

If we want to pull out of the mess, fine by me. But we are plenty justified in sending a direct message via cruise missiles that you can fight your civil wars with conventional weapons only.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question:
Wouldn't it be cheaper, less risky and more efficient to kill Bashar? He is the problem, right?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Oddly enough, I am perfectly calm on this one.

Unlike the last one, I'm not.

Having said that, I fully support the action.

I don't know enough about the situation to know if the strikes are warranted or not but I too am anxious.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

I ask you why is the Syrian government attacking its own people ? Abraham Lincoln quote "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." God Bless Smile

It’s not our neighborhood and poses no threat to us. Can you say with 100% certainty that the Syrian government was responsible for the gas attack?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post