SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    airstrikes in Syria
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

airstrikes in Syria Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Why would Assad use chemical weapons on a small portion of his harmless Syrian civilian population instead of a whole lot of his freakin’ armed enemy? Just asking.
Especially as Trump had hinted a few days earlier that the U.S. may in fact be rid of the region in due course.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They were probably family of the fighters. The same families that they got free passage for by trading prisoners for. Don't worry, they will ride off into the sunset, pumping little jihadis out in safety.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
She is Awesome - and she is a very welcome change from the previous Obama folks.

I haven't seen her apologize too much Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
Nikki Haley addressing the UN this morning>

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...l-weapons-again.html

Haley warns US is 'locked and loaded' if Syria uses chemical weapons again.
She is a good Embassador. Tells it like it is.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
The same families that they got free passage for by trading prisoners for.

And you know the fighters in question are ISIS....how?

It's every bit as likely that Assad figured Trump was getting the US out of Syria and that the US' allies were doing the same, so there was no more reason to show restraint. Syria's one big unhappy bag of different tribes, so gassing the innocent in the hopes of getting any fighters who might (or might not) be there would represent a potential two-fer according to the math we've seen Assad apply since the fighting in Syria began. Google "barrel bombs" if you think I'm kidding.

Then again, maybe you trusted that Putin and Kerry were telling the truth when they said that there were no more chemical weapons in Assad's armory and that it was therefore impossible for Assad to use chemical weapons ever again.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ah, yes. From the link you provided:

quote:
Having previously promoted an Islamic state under Sharia law, since 2015, Jaysh al-Islam has called for the Syrian government to be replaced by a technocratic body that represents the diversity of the Syrian people.

Call me crazy, but that just doesn't sound like ISIS to me. Nor does it tie either the people or the fighters there to the ISIS convoy in any way.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Perhaps someone can explain to me how, an area of what appears to be around the size of two maybe three city blocks, received 57 Tomahawk missiles and 19 JASSMs and still has parts of structures standing.

With 57 (+19) of these hits, starting at 00:20, how is it that there is anything left but a smoking smoldering hole?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
We need to make sure they work, that the people the maintain, and use them know how and have confidence in there function and see them work

that is so true. but sometimes little appreciated

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Call me crazy, but that just doesn't sound like ISIS to me. Nor does it tie either the people or the fighters there to the ISIS convoy in any way.

So right after we started targeting ISIL they switched from a sharia based caliphate, to the opposite. Hey I got a bridge for sale, little down and little a month and she's all yours!

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Perhaps someone can explain to me how, an area of what appears to be around the size of two maybe three city blocks, received 57 Tomahawk missiles and 19 JASSMs and still has parts of structures standing.

I've been looking for any post-strike overhead target imagery but haven't found any online yet. DOD did this after the strike on the airfield last year. If anybody finds any please post the link. Thanks.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I've been looking for any post-strike overhead target imagery but haven't found any online yet. DOD did this after the strike on the airfield last year. If anybody finds any please post the link. Thanks.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14...irstrikes/index.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Those swipeable pics in the article Rhino posted are pretty telling about the damage as you can see before and after.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Why so many missiles?

In short, this shit is chess not checkers.

Targets probably had or were suspected of having underground bunkers.

Targets were potentially defended by advanced Russian SAM systems. How embarrassing for those systems to work and shoot down a handful of Tomahawks, when all you launched was a handful? So they likely decided to launch more than needed to account for potential attrition.

War / Combat is messy, expensive, and in-efficient. In an extended campaign, I can see a lower level of effort exerted, because you can always go bad the day afterwards to clean up targets that were missed, etc - but for these one offs where the world is watching, you don’t want to risk a limp ass strike to keep the civie bean counters happy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
some sat pics and a video showing damage at Barzah R&D Ctr

http://www.breitbart.com/jerus...ter-u-s-led-strikes/

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

From the video in the previous post there is a lat/long

The pic above is google map at that lat/long

This is Barzah R&D Ctr in Damascus, Syria

You can see the 3 buildings in the middle match to the video, but it appears the arrow in the video is pointing "mostly" south/southeast rather than north.

here is the video still capture rotated to roughly match google map pic

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
after pic roughly aligned w google

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
RHINO and SDY: Thanks for the links.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
RT ran a story 3 or 4 weeks ago that the Russians believed the Americans would run a false flag operation and would bomb civilian areas with chemical agents to justify an attack. They described the attack as imminent. Interesting.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My opinion on the subject is obvious, but trusting RT is just downright silly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
trusting RT is just downright silly.

Sadly RT is at least as trustworthy as the msm only with RT we know in advance their bias and agenda.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post