SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Costco eye glass question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco eye glass question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Bought new glasse's and frames recently. All good. I am wondering about buying an extra len's set.

I do lots of activities and work out side and already have some light scratches. I know perscriptions change. But these will work for me longer than the current len's will survive.

I don't need new frames. Just another set of len's. Anyone done that. Will costco do that. Cost? Any help?

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I did that at Costco. They had to mail my frames to the lense manufacturer to do it so I wore my prescription safety glasses for a week.

In the end, it was probably the last pair of glasses I'll ever buy at Costco as I had issues with both the frames and lenses:
  • The frames were purchased in Alaska at Costco and were my back-up glasses for a year, and my primary glasses for slightly less than a year. They were supposedly titanium, but when the frame coating began failing I began getting rashes (I'm allergic to nickel). I suspect the frames weren't really titanium but were titanium coated.
  • Less than 12 months after purchasing one of the lense's coatings started coming off dead center in my vision. I had bought the lenses in Costco Canada, and had moved back in the US when it began failing. Couldn't get it warrantied by Costco USA, and not worth the hassle of trying to do deal with Canada.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    I'd recommend just going to Zenni.com and getting a few spare pares. You can get them as cheap as six bucks for a single focal scrip. Buy cheap ones and use them when you're doing something that might get them scratched.
    They also have an optional anti scratch coating available that has worked very well for me, worth the few bucks additional. I treat my glasses like crap and can't see much in the way of scratches.

I love being able to have several spare pairs now.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    I have two pairs from Costco, both have been excellent, the service is excellent, they are not Nikcon lens, but they are not $1000 set of glasses either.

My wife has two pairs plus she gets contacts from Costco, the savings are significant, both my sets of lens were around $100 with frames. I upgraded my original single vision to progressives and it cost $50, on my second pair I changed from Progressive to a computer progressive lens, they gave me back $10 as it would have been less to do it from the get go.

Service and price, very good.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Zenni is cheap for spares. No RX need s to be provided just the specifications.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Banned
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by old rugged cross:
    Bought new glasse's and frames recently. All good. I am wondering about buying an extra len's set.

I do lots of activities and work out side and already have some light scratches. I know perscriptions change. But these will work for me longer than the current len's will survive.

I don't need new frames. Just another set of len's. Anyone done that. Will costco do that. Cost? Any help?

Thanks.

I did not know my local Eye Clinic (see: small town) would do it until I asked. Razz

I did not know that I can get them at Lenscrafters (se big town) until I asked Razz Razz
    Mark, they got phones in Montana now, I heard.

Basically, I think any eye place would do it. What would they have to lose.
    I have not read the entire thread, but I would buy the cheapest nondescript frames in case of a total loss. Other wise, you would have to look like thise German aristocrats and wear them as a double monacle. You may cut yourself, though.
    Good luck.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    Any private clinic or optical would certainly do lenses only so long as the frame is of good ophthalmic quality. Nothing sucks more than paying for a pair of lenses only to have the glasses you planned to put them in break because they're old/poor quality. Then the hunt is on to try and find something that'll fit (if your frame is d/c).
    If you have any anti reflective treatment to your current lenses, give Costco a buzz. I know at our private clinic we have a year warranty regarding scratches on the lenses, so you may be able to have them replaced free of charge. Perhaps consider purchasing safety glasses for outdoor work so your dress glasses don't get dinged up.
    No need for a second pair of the same lenses, though many choose to do a budget 2nd pair of glasses (to keep in the car, on the boat, at work, etc) or a reading/ distance only pair.

Best of luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    For me, frame cost is insignificant compared to lens. I wear Varilux progressives. Most expensive frames I found was like $125, designer name. Total cost was around $1000 when I bought in March this year.

Last time about 5 years ago, I spent $500 for regular glasses and ray ban prescription sunglasses. Yeah, I was surprised at the price hike.

I said I was going to go to Costco next time.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks guys for the tips. Much appreciated. Even you Hal Wink
    Sounds like you are all better now. Thank goodness!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    silence is acceptance
    Picture of birddog1
    posted Hide Post
    I just got new glasses Monday. Last night I ordered a 2nd pair from Zenni. I work a 2nd job at a canoe livery and didn't want my "good" ones to get beat up. This will be the 2nd pair I ordered from them. I didn't go the cheapest route due to my progressive bifocals but still much cheaper than my pair from the eye doc

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I made it so far,
    now I'll go for more
    Picture of rbert0005
    posted Hide Post
    You may want to get glass lenses.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post