SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’ll not be ordering anything from Backcountry.com
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’ll not be ordering anything from Backcountry.com Login/Join 
posted
Looks like the equity firm that bought the e-retailer is taking a common descriptive to an extreme. Very interesting article

https://coloradosun.com/2019/1...s-boycotts-backlash/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that. I have used and like backcountry.com, but I will now no longer do business with them after reading that article.

Hey, I have an old screen name and email from my AOL days that uses the term backcountry in it that I first created in 1998. Or maybe it was '99. Anyway, maybe I should sue backcountry.com...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope it blows up in their faces. And I hope a slew of companies rebrand to something like “Bakcountry”- dropping one c from the name would escape the silly patent infringement issue and piss them off to no end.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
What dickbags. Won’t support a business that bullies other businesses for using a common terminology.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Backcountry sure stepped in it, and they know it.

Backcountry.com CEO apologizes for trademark lawsuits against other companies using ‘backcountry’

https://www.ksl.com/article/46...es-using-backcountry

quote:

By Carter Williams, KSL.com | Posted - Nov 7th, 2019 @ 1:46pm

PARK CITY — The CEO of Utah-based online outdoor retailer Backcountry.com issued a public letter Wednesday apologizing for recent trademark lawsuits the company had filed against other companies with “backcountry” in their name.

The letter comes amid a call within the outdoor community to boycott Backcountry.com over the lawsuits. A Facebook group called Boycott BackcountryDOTcom had gained 15,000 followers last week, shortly after The Colorado Sun ran a Friday story about a slew of trademark lawsuits the company filed; the group now has more than 16,000 followers.

Federal court records show Backcountry.com filed at least four lawsuits against companies with that name in 2019 alone. In those complaints, the company pointed to its copyright claim to “Backcountry.com” and “Backcountry” it had obtained in 2007, which covered various outdoor equipment and clothing products.

Three of those cases were already resolved by the time the call for a boycott began. For example, one of the lawsuits was filed against a Layton-based company called Backcountry eBikes. That company now goes by the name "Bakcou."

Backcountry.com also filed lawsuits against Backcountry Denim Company, based in Mill Valley, California; Constellation Outdoor Education, LLC, based in Truckee, California, over its website “Backcountrybabes.com;” and Snapperhead Inventions, LLC, based in Marquette, Michigan, over its website “marquette-backcountry.com.”

In addition to an apology to customers, the company filed a motion Thursday to dismiss an active lawsuit against Snapperhead Inventions in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California that had been filed on Sept. 10, according to court records.

Several people attested the lawsuits because “backcountry,” by definition, is undeveloped land away from civilization. It’s the type of area that most outdoors customers strive to go to for recreation. In fact, that’s what Jordan Phillips, the founder of Backcountry Denim, argued in an interview with the Colorado Sun.

“My feeling is that nobody should have the right to the term ‘backcountry.’ It’s like trying to trademark ‘road’ or ‘beach’ or ‘mountain,’” he told the newspaper.

KSL.com reached out to Backcountry.com for comment Wednesday morning but never received a response. However, the company's CEO, Jonathan Nielsen, penned the public letter that was posted on the company’s website later in the day, which addressed the growing outcry.

“We have heard your feedback and concerns, and understand we fumbled in how we pursued trademark claims recently. We made a mistake,” Nielsen wrote. “We only want what’s best for the whole community and we want every person and business in it to thrive. Backcountry has never been interested in owning the word ‘backcountry’ or completely preventing anyone else from using it. But we clearly misjudged the impact of our actions.”

Nielsen added the company “tried to resolve these trademark situations amicably and respectfully” and that lawsuits were the company’s final solution to its disagreements with other companies. In addition, the company will re-evaluate how it addresses trademark concerns “to ensure we are treating others in a way that is consistent with the culture and values envisioned by our founders and embraced by our community.”

Backcountry.com, a privately held company, was founded in Park City in 1996 and has a retail store in West Valley City. The company also has locations in Oregon, Virginia, Costa Rica and Germany.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They stepped on their own dick ....and now paying for it.

They're one of the largest e-tailers in the technical outdoor industry and these lawsuits have pissed off the very people that support them. This may open the door and usher in a new era, outside of Amazon, backcountry.com has been the big online dog in this space.

CEO is trying to cushion the blow but, it's too late, he comes across as a corporate ass...get in bed with a PE, things change.
https://www.snewsnet.com/gear/...ver-trademark-blowup

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
some years ago, Monster Cable was known for doing the same thing with the name "Monster"/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought lots of gear from Backcountry along with Steep & Cheap (owned by BC) because much of the gear works great for motorcycling. Around 2016 I noticed that good deals were much harder to come by and eventually lost interest. I didn't realize they had been sold in 2015, this article shed some light on the change in their practices.

I just deleted their links from my browser. If they're going to be flaming assholes and let the shysters run things like Monster Cable did I won't buy anything from them. My last purchase from S&C was in 2016, after reading this article it was definitely my final purchase. I don't reward jackasses with money and there's nothing I need to buy from companies like Backcountry or Monster. Thanks for posting the article, it was quite interesting to me.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

Backcountry.com CEO apologizes for trademark lawsuits against other companies using ‘backcountry’
quote:

PARK CITY — The CEO of Utah-based online outdoor retailer Backcountry.com issued a public letter Wednesday apologizing for recent trademark lawsuits the company had filed against other companies with “backcountry” in their name.

"Backcountry has never been interested in owning the word ‘backcountry’ or completely preventing anyone else from using it."

Roll Eyes Uhhh, No....When your attorneys start sending 'Cease-and Desist' letters and filing a slew of 'Trademark Infringement' lawsuits, that's EXACTLY what you're doing! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Screw Backcountry.com.

The only reason they are backing down now is the reaction people from the outdoor world are showing.

I have a bunch of outdoor gear and while I don't get to spend as much time out there really using it I do enough.

I have many choices for gear. REI pissed me off a few years ago when they tried their antigun stance. While Backcountry wasn't a place I shopped much I will make sure they get nothing from here on out.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
More 26 year old attorneys with no common sense that attempt to ruin everything.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
For us bicyclists Backcountry.com also owns Competitivecyclist.com

I don't do business with either.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
They gonna force them to take down these signs as well?
I don't know who maintains these signs, this one is on Berthoud Pass.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m still not sure if Backcountry.com caved, or not. They put a lot of small business owners through Hell and now they’re saying they’re sorry and will stop the harassment—or will they?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’m still not sure if Backcountry.com caved, or not. They put a lot of small business owners through Hell and now they’re saying they’re sorry and will stop the harassment—or will they?

They stopped ONE lawsuit, yet, in it's wake there's numerous C&D letters that have been sent out, and many companies over the years have had to change their names, while paying the bills to their legal representatives. One of the shittier short-comings to our legal system.

Backcountry hasn't done shit to rectify the situation other than a statement that 'they didn't know'. They went too far and bullied around a bunch of small business owners. People have a right to spend their money wherever they want, looks like BC went and made up a lot of people's minds.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy some gear every year, like Audioholic said, the good deals stopped a while back and as a result I use other vendors.

Now Backcountry is completely out of the picture.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
More 26 year old attorneys with no common sense that attempt to ruin everything.

Keep in mind that these lawyers and their aggressive tactics are well known. That’s why Backcountry hired them and not some other firm.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
They may as well shut their FB page down and start over. It's a roast. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
They may as well shut their FB page down and start over. It's a roast. Cool

quote:
I'd expect Wal Mart to try to trademark the 'Outdoor' in the Outdoor Products line, but not even they stooped so low, that I know of.

quote:
Hey, congrats you are trending. Seriously though, I do feel sorry for your employees when it was likely a handful of management responsible. For being a company that provides no real value other than selling other companies’ stuff, I find it pretty ironic you target small companies who are you target demographic or a brand you sold..... anyway... buh bye

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Specialized bicycles got hammered for something similar a few years ago. They blamed it on an overzealous outside legal firm they hired, but at the end of the day, management is 100 percent responsible for allowing shit like this to happen. The statement from Backcountry basically amounts to saying, "Oh shit, we got caught for being assholes."

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post