SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mark123's Post reminded me of a child with CP the I knew....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark123's Post reminded me of a child with CP the I knew.... Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
Mark123's post really got to me and brought back a distant memory.

A child in our extended family suffers with CP ( Cerebral Palsy ) and at the time was unable to feed herself because of the lack of certain motor skills and the ability to grasp smaller objects..

As a result her mom had to cut up her meal and feed it to her in small amounts. Becky frequently tried to feed herself but the knife, fork and spoon where beyond her ability. As a new woodturner, I realized that I might be able to make a difference in her life.

After observing Becky, I realized she knew the motion of feed herself but she could not grip the utensils properly. So I accepted the 'mission' to solve that for her.

I found a knife, fork and spoon from an old picnic set with plastic handles. I removed the handles with the help of a torch and then made her new handles from Purple Heart, a very hard and durable wood that I had in the shop. The handles I made were grossly oversized by normal standards, 1.5" or better in diameter, but they were perfect for her little hand.

The day I presented the new utensils she was absolutely thrilled to realize that she could feed herself, she could not really communicate well, but the joy on her face and wonderful sounds she made will forever be with me. Even years later and many, many trips through the dishwasher they were still serviceable and were used daily.

Kids of all kinds with special needs have a very, very special place in my heart.

If any SF members need anything for a special needs child that I can make on the lathe please, please let me know, it is yours for the asking. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We certainly have some great people here on SIGforum. You are one of them.

I was the recipient of some wonderful kindness from several of our members when I was incarcerated in the residential rehab place while recovering from my hip surgery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice offer you made. I'm also impressed at your ability of seeing the problem and coming up with the solution to help the little girl, that was some great insight.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this story and making such a wonderful offer. Bless you.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post