SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rocket Science Time: British and Canadian face 10 years in Thai prison for defacing ancient wall
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rocket Science Time: British and Canadian face 10 years in Thai prison for defacing ancient wall Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted

Attributing their behavior to "drunken revelry" these two brain surgeons don't look so drunk now. And they just happened to have a can of spray paint in their back pocket. God, the folks surrounding them look pissed.

"BANGKOK (AP) — A Briton and Canadian face up to 10 years in prison on charges of spraying paint on an ancient wall in northern Thailand, police said Friday.

Security camera footage purportedly showed Furlong Lee and Canadian Brittney Lorretta Katherine Schneider, both 23, spraying a message on the walls of the Tha Pae Gate in the northern province of Chiang Mai at around 4 a.m. Thursday.

Pol Col. Teerasak Sriprasert, chief of the Chiang Mai police, said that the tourists are in custody and have been charged with vandalizing registered ancient artifacts, which carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a million baht ($30,650) fine.

Teerasak said the pair admitted sprayed the message out of drunken revelry. He said that Lee, who is from Liverpool, admitted that he wrote "Scouser Lee" on the wall while Brittney told police that she wrote the letter "B'' underneath it.

The 13th century Tha Pae Gate is part of an ancient wall that forms a square around Chiang Mai's inner city."

Link

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Stupid should kill.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We should have similar penalties for our National Parks, Monuments and public lands. People are vandalizing sites at an alarming rate, it needs to be stopped!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Imbeciles. Horsewhip them, then prison.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Uh oh, no trophy?

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
One of the comments from the link- "Look on the bright side...10 years of Thai food" Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy for this behavior. Like UTsig, I'm tired of seeing irreplacable artifacts destroyed simply because some jackass wants to spray his name on it. This is a real problem here in Utah.

Why many young people feel the need to destroy is a complete mystery to me.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
23 and still doing stupid stuff like this?

Enjoy your time in Tai prison, guessing Bangkok will be a verb now.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Security camera footage purportedly showed Furlong Lee and Canadian Brittney Lorretta Katherine Schneider, both 23, spraying a message on the walls of the Tha Pae Gate in the northern province of Chiang Mai at around 4 a.m. Thursday.

quote:
Rocket Science Time: British and Canadian teens face 10 years in Thai prison for defacing ancient wall

Teens?

It says they're 23.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

It says they're 23.

Fixed

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember Michael Fay getting caned in Singapore all those years ago??

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Yup. IIRC, the Simpsons did a parody of that incident involving Austrailia and a "booting" instead of a caning.

Check their social networks (guaranteed these two idiots tweet, Instagram, or farcebook) and see if they had any references before they decided to do this on "the spur of the moment".
Then give them the full penalty a Thai would likely suffer if they were to do such a thing. Stupid like this should have a steep cost.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Liverpudlian, nuff said...

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Liverpudlian, nuff said...

Smile

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember Weird Al singing about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
They are in Thailand. Subject to Thai laws.

Throw the book at them! Max time and other "inconveniences". Probably will not serve as much of a learning tool for other idiots, but it should impress a few.

And we should have the same kind of punishments for the assholes who damage or destroy historically important artifacts, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Cleaning the wall and the another public caning. Why spend $ housing these morons?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
A good brisk caning sounds appropriate.
Dumb asses need a meme to never misremember.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

It says they're 23.

Fixed

25 is the new 15.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, and that is absolutely the first thing that came to mind.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post