SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Galaxy S9 Experts - Bixby
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galaxy S9 Experts - Bixby Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
to these silly accounts. Its overload.

my strategy to this point (7 months post-purchase) I have simply refused to accommodate their wishes.

Every day I discover more ways to use my 'device' without signing up for ever more accounts.

If they are really serious about such number, I move on without them.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I set mine to require a double click to activate. It at least prevents accidental Bixby in most cases.

Galaxy S9+

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
You guys can also long press on the home screen and turn Bixby completely off. One you turn it off, you can either download an app to replace the button function or if you don't want to, just turn it off. You can press the button all day and nothing will happen.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
You guys can also long press on the home screen and turn Bixby completely off. One you turn it off, you can either download an app to replace the button function or if you don't want to, just turn it off. You can press the button all day and nothing will happen.

A very simple and elegant solution. That damn Bixby is now deactivated. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have Bixby turned off by this method, just verified. However if you long press the Bixby button, it pops up. It doesn't take that long and easy to trigger in a belt clip with that button facing up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
quote:

A very simple and elegant solution. That damn Bixby is now deactivated. Thanks for the tip.

This requires going through the Bixby setup process though, correct?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
So . . . y'all have smartphones, but won't load any apps or use them out of security concerns.

Who wants to give me $1500 for my old Motorola brick? Totally secure. Also makes a pretty good bludgeon.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

Nope. As rockchalk06 indicated, I did a long press on the home screen. That windowed all of the screens in kind of a ghost image. The Bixby screen image had a switch in the upper corner. I tapped that to turn it off and that was it.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I don't want a flipping account for EVERY damn thing I buy. Microsoft wants an account, google wants an account, Samsung wants an account, even the last tool I bought wanted me to set up a fricking account. I have a spreadsheet with 20 accounts for everything from email to utilities, to these silly accounts. Its overload.

That's what keyrings are for, btw.

Putting account credentials in spreadsheets and clear text files is just asking to get pwn3d.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
So . . . y'all have smartphones, but won't load any apps or use them out of security concerns.

Who wants to give me $1500 for my old Motorola brick? Totally secure. Also makes a pretty good bludgeon.

Day-um Frown I knew I shudda kept that old Motorola Contour brick.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
y'all have smartphones, but won't load any apps or use them out of security concerns.

humorous, pithy even....
still basic oversimplification;

I've got a 1/2 dozen home improvement vendors that all want to 'give me' some kind of electronic membership requiring either carrying their little plastic tag or loading into Mr. Smartyphone. Then they want to make payment easier so I should attach my bank account to their records. Etc.

And the clinic group wants sign up for electronic records. Etc.

In the last 5 years before my Sweet Bride retired from her .gov career, she had 3 separate major breeches resulting in being put on the security-ID-monitor lists due to 88 million agency exposures.

Buying a panaling or some small hardware items I'm likely to carry out of BigBox isn't going to save me much time or anything else by plugging my phone into their system. And I'm unintersted in their promotional software opportunities.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope. As rockchalk06 indicated, I did a long press on the home screen. That windowed all of the screens in kind of a ghost image. The Bixby screen image had a switch in the upper corner. I tapped that to turn it off and that was it.

I know about that. I did that within the first 5 mins owning the phone. I'm talking about disabling the button so nothing happens when you press it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turning off the Bixby screen from the long press of the home screen helps a lot! Thanks

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know about that. I did that within the first 5 mins owning the phone. I'm talking about disabling the button so nothing happens when you press it.

If you go to the article I linked and read through it, it explains in step by step process how to completely disable Bixby so it never bothers you again. That includes disabling the button.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

If you go to the article I linked and read through it, it explains in step by step process how to completely disable Bixby so it never bothers you again. That includes disabling the button.

Am I speaking swahili over here? My question is simple. Must one go through the initial Bixby setup process first before doing the "step by step process" you linked in order to completely disable the button, meaning having to agree to the Bixby terms and conditions. I don't want to do that, but your article implies that's the only way. I therefore believe I'm just stuck with the button the way it is for now, unless I'm missing another way.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Am I speaking swahili over here? My question is simple. Must one go through the initial Bixby setup process first before doing the "step by step process" you linked in order to completely disable the button, meaning having to agree to the Bixby terms and conditions. I don't want to do that, but your article implies that's the only way. I therefore believe I'm just stuck with the button the way it is for now, unless I'm missing another way.

You could agree to the terms and conditions, follow the steps to completely disable Bixby, then go into the Apps section of Settings. Find all the Bixby apps and then deny them all permissions. I would also Force Stop them for good measure.

As to whether or not this will accomplish what you want, I don’t know.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Timely post. The wife has a S8 and hates that thing.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

You could agree to the terms and conditions, follow the steps to completely disable Bixby, then go into the Apps section of Settings. Find all the Bixby apps and then deny them all permissions. I would also Force Stop them for good measure.

As to whether or not this will accomplish what you want, I don’t know.

Thank you. Yeah, that is my only option it seems. And you're right, I can just deny permissions after the fact. I'd be good with that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Is it a 1W version....which carrier?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just completed this step, too. Thank you!

The only thing left to do to kill off bitchby is to kill it with fire! Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post