SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Galaxy S9 Experts - Bixby
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galaxy S9 Experts - Bixby Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
I have a fairly new Galaxy S9. Love the phone and features, except Bixby. I have it disabled, except for the Bixby button on the side of the phone. Convenient place if you use it a lot, horrible spot if you don't.

You can disable this button, but you have to create a Bixby account to get to that setting. I am not creating an account to disable something. Is there a secret way to do this? A hack to disable that button so I'm not triggering Bixby every time I pick up the phone?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking this question. I would love to know the answer. Disabling that stupid Bixby thing was the very first thing I did with my Galaxy S9. The phone is fantastic in everything else, but now I have this wasted button on the side.

I think there is a way to re-assign this button for sometiing else, but I just haven't put in the time to learn how. So now it just sits there doing nothing, until I accidently hit it at which point I'm reminded how much I hate it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
It seems one can remap it with the bxactions app. I do not have an S9, but I'm not sure I'd want to give an app the permissions required to get that to work. I'd be concerned about the unknown and unexpected security-related things which might happen in the future.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
It seems one can remap it with the bxactions app. I do not have an S9, but I'm not sure I'd want to give an app the permissions required to get that to work. I'd be concerned about the unknown and unexpected security-related things which might happen in the future.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that's one of the main reasons I haven't done it yet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I don't use Bixby, never will, but just avoid engaging it.

Recent owner of the S9, now Samsung is pushing for a software upgrade to UI Pie?

I am not going to do that upgrade, each upgrade slows your phone down, until eventually ..you consider getting another one. Which is what the phone companies want ! Restoring it to factory configuration is a labor intensive work.

I would like to turn off the pop ups that keep coming up about this software upgrade. Those bother me more than Bixby.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Bixby. Stupidest thing I've seen on the Galaxy phones yet. I've had the 3, 5, 7 & now 9. I'll be watching this thread for ideas from other people. I hate Apple products but Siri is way better than Bixby could ever be.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

Yep. Did this about 20 minutes ago. I paid the 2.99 for the full version so I could make it load the camera. A long press will still load Bixby, but s normal press now loads the camera in whatever method you had it in prior to closing it.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've been S9+ since last July. No Bixby for me, although I've hit the button about once a month by accident.

Most of what the Beast wants me to give permission to do, I simply refuse. And for the first 3 or 4 months almost all the fancy apps were not allowed.

Mostly I use 'just the phone' and the outstanding camera. TXT & send photos.

No cloud, no financial, no on line accounts, etc.

Every time I read the stuff Bixby wants me to give away, I refuse.

Bixby doesn't have much left to help me with.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
A horrid feature with all the appeal of cold oatmeal.

The button can't be disabled but there is a low cost 3rd party app that lets you disable, but not repurpose, the button.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s a Bixby account?

I have a Samsung account, but no Bixby account.

Just Google how to disable Bixby and you’ll find an article. It is a multi-step process. But once it’s done you never have to be bothered by Bixby again.

Here’s the article:

How to Disable Bixby

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
That button is a wart on an otherwise great device. I hit it accidentally at least three times a week Mad

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Maybe:
https://www.androidguys.com/ti...ove-bixby-galaxy-s9/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
What’s a Bixby account?

Just Google how to disable Bixby and you’ll find an article. It is a multi-step process. But once it’s done you never have to be bothered by Bixby again.

Here’s the article:

How to Disable Bixby

Thanks!

I used this to deactivate that idiotic bitch-by on my Note 8.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You can remap the button with a 5 lb baby sledge hammer.

It also, sort of fucks up all the other features of the phone, but that Bixby bitch will be out gone like Felicia...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great phone with the notably exception of the incredibly annoying Bixby BS. Pretty stupid for them to not let everybody that absolutely hates Bixby to not be able to disable it.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
for the fun of it, I tried the procedures linked above re Bixby.

They didn't work.
My screens didn't respond like those shown.

Then again, "I have neither a 'Samsung Account' nor a 'Bixby Account'.

I'll try again in the morning.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
What’s a Bixby account?

Here’s the article:

How to Disable Bixby

Thanks!

I used this to deactivate that idiotic bitch-by on my Note 8.

Thanks. I have a new S9 Note that I am going to disable the Bixby feature now. Timely thread.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
for the fun of it, I tried the procedures linked above re Bixby.

They didn't work.
My screens didn't respond like those shown.

Then again, "I have neither a 'Samsung Account' nor a 'Bixby Account'.

I'll try again in the morning.

There are certain apps that are best updated through the Galaxy App Store. To use it you need a Samsung account.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
BxActions can remap the bixby button. I have s9+ mine turn on the flashlight when pressed and the phone is on the lockscreen, and when logged in, starts the camera app.

$2.99 on play store for pro version with no ads.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Now that my phone updated last night it is asking for the Samsung account. It won't take my google account for this even though that is what drives the phone. To make any of these solutions work you have to be logged in with an account

I don't want a flipping account for EVERY damn thing I buy. Microsoft wants an account, google wants an account, Samsung wants an account, even the last tool I bought wanted me to set up a fricking account. I have a spreadsheet with 20 accounts for everything from email to utilities, to these silly accounts. Its overload.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post