SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Galaxy S9 Experts - Bixby
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galaxy S9 Experts - Bixby Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Am I speaking swahili over here? My question is simple. Must one go through the initial Bixby setup process first before doing the "step by step process" you linked in order to completely disable the button, meaning having to agree to the Bixby terms and conditions. I don't want to do that, but your article implies that's the only way. I therefore believe I'm just stuck with the button the way it is for now, unless I'm missing another way.

Yes you have to sign into bixby using your samsung account to enable the settings that allow you to disable it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
You can purpose the button too by downloading and buying the bxActions button.

I have a single press to load the camera and a long press to load Samsung Pay. This is only when the phone is unlocked. Locked, a long press tries to load Bixby, but nothing happens.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the latest official software/Bixby app upgrades to remap the Bixby button?

Evidently the S10 received an upgrade to remap the button, and Samsung has now made this possible for the S9 and S9 series phones.

https://9to5google.com/2019/02...xy-s10-s9-s8-note-9/

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thanks!

I'll still have to go throught the initial setup though which I was trying to avoid, but it might be worth it now if I can remap the button without a third party app.

ETA:

Just set it up. So awesome now having a use for this button. Thanks again for the heads up. Works perfectly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Has anyone used the latest official software/Bixby app upgrades to remap the Bixby button?

Evidently the S10 received an upgrade to remap the button, and Samsung has now made this possible for the S9 and S9 series phones.

https://9to5google.com/2019/02...xy-s10-s9-s8-note-9/

With Android Pie on the S10, yes you are able to remap it to just about any app, but you can't make it Google Now.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m picking up my new S10+ tomorrow, I’m new to android but I’ve heard of some new way to disable this Bixby spirit that has y’all so worked up. I don’t know if it’s through the S10 specifically, surely not...there is some new Samsung software update as well as Pie (the newest version of Android ).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I’m picking up my new S10+ tomorrow, I’m new to android but I’ve heard of some new way to disable this Bixby spirit that has y’all so worked up. I don’t know if it’s through the S10 specifically, surely not...there is some new Samsung software update as well as Pie (the newest version of Android ).

Unfortunately, the Android Pie update on the S9 removed the ability to completely disable Bixby. The best you can do is change the button from a single press to a double press, disable voice activation and disable the Bixby screen.

The S10 is supposed to have the ability to remap the Bixby button to do whatever you would like it to do. But I don't have my S10 yet to see exactly how this functionality works.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

Unfortunately, the Android Pie update on the S9 removed the ability to completely disable Bixby. The best you can do is change the button from a single press to a double press, disable voice activation and disable the Bixby screen.

The S10 is supposed to have the ability to remap the Bixby button to do whatever you would like it to do. But I don't have my S10 yet to see exactly how this functionality works.

I have the S9 and am now running Android Pie. I can remap the button now the same as an S10.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

I have the S9 and am now running Android Pie. I can remap the button now the same as an S10.

Before you had to use a 3rd party app like bxActions to remap it or disable it. I've heard several folks having issues on their S9's and Note 9's with the Pie upgrade that is disables apps like bxActions. The app developers will push through an update to fix it eventually.

@Balze Halze,

Are you using a 3rd party app or launcher to do this or the new Pie software?

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:

@Balze Halze,

Are you using a 3rd party app or launcher to do this or the new Pie software?

I've never had a third part app installed in order to remap the Bixby button. I basically just ignored the button. Now I am finally able to use it because of the new Pie software.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks again for the heads up. Works perfectly.

I was hoping it would help. I'm glad it worked.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post